Man of Honour
The Predator - what a load of rubbish. 3/10

Star Trek Beyond - enjoyed it much more this time. 7/10

Creed 2 - predictable but engaging. 7/10

First man - meh, 4/10.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Collapse.

In 2009, controversial filmmaker Chris H. Smith shot an entire documentary in just 5 days. The location was a deserted meat locker near downtown Los Angeles. The subject was Michael Ruppert, a 55 year old unemployed conspiracy theorist who believed his unique insights enabled him to predict future world events with exceptional accuracy.

Collapse was distilled from 14 hours of raw footage to 82 minutes of dystopian monologue based on the fantasy world inhabited by Ruppert's increasingly fragile mind.

Ruppert was obsessed with the destruction of industrial civilisation, to the point that he believed it was imminent. He endorsed the theory of peak oil, and claimed that the Dick Cheney, the Bush administration, and Wall Street had all colluded with the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks.

In 2010, Ruppert launched a commercial venture called Collapse Network, which was intended to create sustainable communities around the world. He abandoned it after just 2 years, and its new owners rebranded the enterprise as 'Transition United States' (basically a paid newsletter for doomsday preppers).

The quality of the website speaks for itself.

Collapse is shot perfectly for its subject matter: sparse, shadowy, and grim. Smith allows Ruppert to spew his nonsense with little interruption, occasionally stopping to challenge the deranged narrative in a tone of mild skepticism. Ruppert rants, weeps, and chain-smokes through his diatribe, utterly convinced that he is delivering a vital prophetic message to the world.

The result is as compelling as it is pathetic.

Smith's documentary enjoyed critical acclaim, and rightly so. Ruppert faded into obscurity until his suicide in 2014, which facilitated a brief re-entry into the cultural consciousness. Like most conspiracy theorists, he was a sad, weak-minded individual who had failed at everything he'd attempted in life, and projected this failure into his entire worldview (hence the cultish mania with civilisation's downfall).

Needless to say, his predictions in Collapse failed too.

I rate Collapse at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an impressive 8/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
Hotel Artemis 6/10; this was a near miss good film for me. Good cast, good premise and nice design style. The plot wasn't bad it just lacked some polish and pacing. It kind of felt disjointed, you could almost see a good film waiting to break out it just needed either a better scriptwriter or a better director. I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as could have been achieved.

Associate
Greta (2019) - 6/10

A passable thriller which gets a bit silly towards the end.

The story is good enough and Greta is sinister, but the rest of the acting feels a bit flat and it tends to go for style over substance, running out of good ideas in the final act.

Associate
The Revenant

Not as good as I expected , and I didn't really like any of the action scenes, especially the opening one, but it got better as it went on.

Really surprised to see a movie like this with such a huge budget, and at how much it took at the box office.

I throughly enjoyed it from start to finish. But i enjoy anything from that period. I think its popularity it more so from the filming and sound amongst the blu ray lot. The PQ is outstanding.

Associate
I’ve just looked it up, it’s a new release off the back of a 4K remaster, with the same directors cut, so should look considerably better with a cleaner image, that offers more texture and an organic look.

It was only last year they showed it in cinemas for the 4K release, unfortunately I missed it, would have been awesome!
The only ever issue i've heard everyone complain about with any version is the audio they still don't seem to of gotten it right with the muxing. I never watched it all the way though but i think this is on my weekend list as i love "that" scene from it.

Associate
Close - Netflix
noomi rapace - From girl with dragon tattoo series.

Bit of an anti climax the premise is good but the movie feels a bit stuffy and just pans around in one area which gets pretty boring fast. Not a bad watch though and the plot twists have you guessing and re guessing again.
7/10

Soldato
Double bill of The Thing 2011 and The Thing 1982. Watched in chronological order but just for continuity. The 82 version is much more fun and great special effects. CGI ruined the new one.

Utterly frustrating when you look up the test footage for the 2011 version and see it was almost all practical effects that looked great until they went the CGI route.

Soldato
Critters, I loved this when I watched it decades ago, I had the urge to watch it after the announcement of the new one.

Wasnt as good as I remember but still liked it 5/10

Caporegime
King Arthur (The Guy Ritchie one)

What an absolute mess. It feels like at least three or four films mashed into one, ludicrous high fantasy mixed with stylised hiest. A first class cast is utterly wasted on a film more confused than the Pope at a drag queen convention.

Should be better 3/10.

Back
Top Bottom