What film did you watch last night?

Associate
For me Pale Rider is probably one of the best ever westerns, love the plot with the ghostly undertones.

Never watched Shane - Way overdue so tonight's film sorted.

Tombstone, I think its an epic film with a great movie and cast. Pale Rider and Tombstone, for me (alongside the original Dollar films & Unforgiven) are the best westerns.

Associate
More long haul flights, so another round of trying to find films i haven't already seen.

Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019) - 4/10

A weird production with a story that doesn’t really tie together that well. The mix of computer generated Pokemon and real world setting and actors looks great but other than that, there‘s not much else to recommend. The acting and action scenes are ok,, only a few of the gags hit their mark, and the mix of settings (detective noir and Saturday morning villain plot), the slapstick violence and ending reveal don’t quite fit within the thematic utopia it initially portrays.

Fighting With My Family (2019) - 6/10

A relatively straightforward underdog story in the unusual setting of American wrestling. It shows the charm, glitz and glamour of trying to make it big as well as the hardships and ordeals they have to endure, but overall, I found the film a bit slow and it didn’t hook me for some reason. Good acting and including the social pressures on poorer families was balanced and done well.

Moana (2016) - 9/10

A superb Disney animation with a strong story, great songs and plenty of good jokes. Colourful and imaginative in its wonderful cultural setting with a great cast of characters, it has enough self-awareness to keep things relevant whilst still maintaining the traditional Disney format. A bit repetitive in the songs and moral messages, but otherwise great.

Rocketman (2019) - 6/10

Elton John’s biopic in musical form, the story of which came across as a little bit cliché. Although there’s plenty of great music, upbeat numbers and entertaining dance routines, there’s also a fair bit of emotional trauma and drama, making the presentation tonally all over the place. Great performances from Edgerton and Bell throughout, but it left me feeling cold in the end.

Isn't It Romantic (2019) - 7/10

A light hearted and funny take on the rom-com film style which relies a bit too heavily on the elements it’s supposed to be making fun of. Harmless fun which could have been funnier and more original, but Wilson does a great job in the lead role.

Associate
Open Range (2003) - 8/10

A bit slow at the start as it shows the desolate and wild setting, but the strong atmosphere and camaraderie between the two leads keeps it interesting. It successfully builds the tension towards the dramatic shoot out in the final act where you are truly invested in how it turns out. The acting, plot and authenticity are good throughout, although the ending is a bit too happily resolved.

2.0 (2018) - 5/10

Almost so bad it’s good, but not quite. The hokey plot, the weird presentation methods and low-budget CGI effects all make a memorable, goofy and fun experience, but it goes on for far too long - the last 30 minutes could have been cut completely to little detriment, as it just gets sillier and sillier for no good reason. Laughably bad at times, but still fun to watch.

What Men Want (2019) - 3/10

Passably entertaining, but feels like an unnecessary gender-swap remake. There are a few ok jokes and Henson does a great performance, but the sports setting, lack of originality and unevenness of it makes it pretty forgettable.

Smallfoot (2018) - 6 /10

A great movie for younger audiences with lots of catchy songs, colourful characters and scenery and slapstick adventures, but it lacks the heart of a good Disney film. The modern references aren’t as funny as they could have been, and although it’s enjoyable enough, it lacks the magic, awe or wonder the premise could have presented.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aniara. Sci Fi about a lifeboat ship on way to Mars that gets knocked off it's course by space junk. Turns the expected 3 week voyage into an unknown longer time and the effect this has on the occupants.

Def enjoyed the concept. Tough watch at times subject matter wise. Still for low budget , foreign movie it was well produced and it covered a lot of ground in it's 1.45 run time. 8/10

Associate
Over last week i watched Hannibal Rising > Red Dragon > Silence of the Lambs > Hannibal

It's been ages since I saw Hannibal Rising but it is the book/movie I like least of the Hannibal books. I know that Hannibal is supposed to be a incredible smart man, but that book/movie makes it feel like there is absolutely nothing he can't do or be good at..

Man of Honour
Maybe my bad, for the arrows thing, that was just the order i watched them in :p, But would say Silence of the Lambs is 1st :p
Ha I see :)

I mean, Hannibal is clearly the worst. Although I’m not sure if it’s worse than the TV show or not. That TV show is so silly. Just.... laugh out loud ridiculous. Leave your brain at the door and you can have some fun though.

Soldato
"Liar, Liar" with the kids. I'm slowly introducing the kids to all the Jim Carrey movies and this was next on the list. Still a great fun movie and it's aged pretty well. Still some classic scenes and Carrey is always good to watch. My two 13 YOs were in hysterics, especially at the outtakes in the credits. :D
1997 though! Man, that makes me feel old.

Soldato
"Liar, Liar" with the kids. I'm slowly introducing the kids to all the Jim Carrey movies and this was next on the list. Still a great fun movie and it's aged pretty well. Still some classic scenes and Carrey is always good to watch. My two 13 YOs were in hysterics, especially at the outtakes in the credits. :D
1997 though! Man, that makes me feel old.
A Goose! :D

Man of Honour
Schindler’s List - What a truly brilliant and powerful film. Managed me to make me shed a tear. It’s absolutely baffling that happened and it really wasn’t even that long ago. 10/10

As a side note, how is ‘It: Chapter 2’ only 19 minutes shorter than Schindler’s List?! What were they smoking.

Back
Top Bottom