What film did you watch last night?

Had a Christmas movie blow-out yesterday

Started off with "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" - Great silly Christmas classic fun. Followed up with "The Muppets Christmas Carol" - Michael Caine is just brilliant in this, its been a few years since I watched it. Then I finished off with "Die Hard" but remastered in 4k with ATMOS - Looked and sounded brilliant. Lots of great action from BW. Not normally a big explosion shooty shooty action flick kind of guy but there is something about Die Hard which just works so well!

Slightly off topic as I want to watch one movie tonight, not sure if to watch

The Night Flier (1997)
or
Graveyard Shift (1990)

Not seen either since new so not fresh in my mind.

Last edited:
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - 6/10

Went to see a 9pm show at Vue Cheshire Oaks... didn't see a single person in the cinema, bar the guy selling popcorn. What's happened to cinema? Boxing Day used to be a big cinema day and 9pm would be one of the more popular times?!

Anyway, movie seemed a little basic to me. I enjoyed it, but it feels like a shame if that's how it's all ending.

On that point, I thought there were going to be 12 episodes? Did I imagine someone telling me that?

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I did and didn't enjoy this. I saw it at IMAX, which was packed. It felt very much like a traditional Star Wars movie vs the "disney-esque" previous 2 (for the record I did enjoy the previous 2) - but I would have quite happily waited to see this at home. I also saw it in 3D which I am not a fan of and found it distracting. So its possible this put me off enjoying the movie more than I realised. A friend of mine organised it all...so...meh

Anyway, at times it felt rushed and a bit all over the place where it was trying to hold a lot together in the time given. The action I really enjoyed and felt they got that down to a tee (felt very Rogue One at times which is my fave Star Wars universe movie) but Rey just felt like a piece of cardboard at times, although she isn't half bad to look at. The little comedy moments were great (Babu Frik and BB8!)

I am not a huge Star Wars nerd, so I'll never pick up on any inconsistencies in the lore which drove the self proclaimed Jedis nuts with the previous movies. But overall I'd say I enjoyed it purely as a Sci-fi action flick. Otherwise it felt like "just another" Star Wars movie to me personally :)

Just rewatching Endgame as my son loves it, just noticed as it was finishing the really cheesy "girl power" scene when they do a cringeworthy pose has been removed from the version to hit sky.

Odd, but it is a better scene without the daft pose.

Had quite a binge on movies yesterday, just what I needed.

No Country For Old Men. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I can hardly believe I hadn't seen 'No Country...' until now, loved it. One of the best films I've seen in quite some time.

Scarface. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086250/

I've seen it many times before but not for a long while, really enjoyed it. Great pacing and editing.

Doctor Sleep. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5606664/

I haven't quite finished it yet but am liking it a lot so far.

Just rewatching Endgame as my son loves it, just noticed as it was finishing the really cheesy "girl power" scene when they do a cringeworthy pose has been removed from the version to hit sky.

Odd, but it is a better scene without the daft pose.

I watched it last night. I use NowTV using the Sky Cinema pass (free via work's perk program) and it had the 'Girl power' scene in it.

Everyone I know had said it was a great movie but I found myself extremely unimpressed.

I watched it last night. I use NowTV using the Sky Cinema pass (free via work's perk program) and it had the 'Girl power' scene in it.

Everyone I know had said it was a great movie but I found myself extremely unimpressed.

Really?

I watched the bit and Spiderman is on the ground and they all come together then the camera slowed right down in the cinematic version, sure I didn't see it tonight.

May need a quick rewatch to see if I'm going daft :p

Paddington 2 (2018) - 8 / 10

Light hearted and entertaining fun with lots of charm and likeable characters, especially from Paddington.

The story’s ok and the comedy is silly and slapstick whilst still maintaining the heartwarming joy and good morals that I wish this world had more of.

Great production values and a star studded cast, although they all play second fiddle to Paddington, and the finale was a bit too over the top for my liking.

Star Wars The Rise of Starwalker - 6/10
Kind of meh, good visuals, but nothing spectacular. Only character with any kind of development and decent closure to their arc is Ren. So many iffy bits (I'm the spy! sheesh, do we really need to be told explicitly?).

Back
Top Bottom