1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Hades

Capodecina

I'm in!

2. checjb

Wise Guy

Wow, the trailer for The VelociPastor is awesome...ly bad. :D That's a film that'd need many beers to enjoy. In a MST3K kind of way.

3. Vern1961

Mobster

Ad Astra - 7/10

Last of this week's big three releases. It was okay but really a simple story padded out with a bit of background that then moved on without any real explanation or denouement. IMHO borrowed heavily from Sunshine with a bit of Event Horizon (nothing good ever comes of travelling to Neptune) and of course 2001. Loads of plot holes, for example in a world where space travel is heavily regulated by a military style organisation, where one wrong answer in a psyche test gets you thrown off a mission, how are there pirates/rebels on the Moon? We can fly from Sol (well the Moon) to Mars in less than 3 weeks, Mars to Neptune in less than 3 months but the ships look like little more than enhanced designs based on current tech - no explanation of how the crew survive the intense acceleration or deceleration. At least The Expanse tries to explain things a bit with the Epstein Drive and the crew having to lay in special couches and pumped full of drugs during high-g burns.

Looked and sounded good on Blu-ray, though.

4. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

5. krooton

Caporegime

Jay & Silent Bob: Reboot

Whilst I thought J&SB Strike Back was meh, I did enjoy Clerks/Mallrats/Chasing Amy, so thought I'd give this a go. Bad idea.

A bunch of cameos raised a few smirks, but beyond that, this is an objectively bad film, even purely from a fan-service perspective.

3/10 for some of the cameos alone. Snoochie boooooooooo

6. wiiija

Wise Guy

Terminator dark fate 7/10, I actually really enjoyed it as a turn your brain off romp :)

Ford vs ferrari next, looking forward to it.

7. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Snowpiercer. What an utter load of bobbins.

8. sbweightman

Hitman

Richard Jewell (2019) - 6 / 10

It’s a good true story of how the FBI and media got it wrong detailing the witch-hunt, their commitment to the lie, the impact on Jewell and his family and the quest to prove his innocence, but the slow pace and undemanding presentation meant none of the film really grabbed or shocked me. Good acting from a strong cast and the ending was quite moving, but the characters felt a bit too black and white.

9. sbweightman

Hitman

Dolittle (2020) - 3 / 10

A fantasy world filled with wonder, magic and colourful locales, but unfortunately, not a very good story and too much childish humour.

Some of the acting is hit and miss, but most of the characters are good - Dolittle’s eccentricity is a committed performance and the animals look and perform well, each with their own unique personalities.

The slapstick humour sometimes works, but there’s a lot of style over substance. The simple story doesn’t really flow as it should, and the anachronistic language is unsettling.

10. bainbridge

Mobster

Limitless. Good film.

11. lokiss

Mobster

V for vendetta for the first time.

Great piece of film making, Natalie Portman outstanding, what a film!

12. Mr Jack

Capodecina

In the Heart of the Sea

The tale of a heroic whale fighting 19th century whalers that threaten the very existence of his species. The makers took the curious choice to follow the perspective not of our hero but of the antagonists and it results in a pretty interesting film. Overly long in places and the framing device of a survivor telling the story to the writer of Moby Dick drains tension from the action.

A watchable 7/10

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  13. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Zombieland 2 - 4/10 and most of that was for the Bill Murray parts.

It felt like it was trying to be hard to be funny and the doppleganger and Babylon parts were ridiculous. Shame as i really enjoyed the first one.

14. chaparral

Capodecina

Alita :Battle Angel

I watched this last night and I really did enjoy it
    9/10

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  15. krooton

Caporegime

Joker

Eh, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great. Very slow start, possibly a bit over-indulgent (imo), but I did enjoy the world/lore building for Gotham as we see it in the original Keaton Batman (I always wondered how Joker acquired so many loyal goons). Ending was cool.

6/10

16. EddScott

Sgarrista

Doctor Sleep - 4.5/10 Any less seems to harsh but any more feels a tad too generous. Bit too long. Not enough development of the baddie characters. Felt rather "Made for TV" in places.

Would have made a better one season series.

17. sbweightman

Hitman

The Rhythm Section (2020) - 4 / 10

A mediocre action thriller where everything’s been seen and done before and usually better.

It’s slow to get going, the action scenes aren’t slick, its arty but without much style and the plot and character growth arcs are both cliché.

Still, the acting’s good and the gritty and realistic presentation and subject matter is somewhat refreshing, showing that the world of international assassination isn’t all Hollywood cracks it up to be.

18. Fubsy

Sgarrista

Finally got around to watching Roma on Netflix last night.

I had a pang of emotion throughout the final third (as much as I could since the events were pretty much foreshadowed on the side of a freight train), but tbh I was more connected/intrigued by the over the top cinematography and wide tracking shots than anything going on in the thread bare plot. There wasn't enough substance for me to become immersed as what the critics and cheerleaders of the film have reported.

Technical rating of 8/10. Enjoyment rating of about 5/10.

19. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Hungerford

I'm 27 minutes 14 seconds into this "film" with 52 minutes left to watch. 52 minutes that will remain unseen benadryl it's the biggest piece of student filmed ******* drivel ice every seen, and ice watched some turds over the years.

Terrible script so far, very unnatural, awful effects, bad acting and filmed via that annoying camcorder effect like the Blair witch.

Save 79 minutes of your life. If you still feel like watching it, punch yourself in the face because there be something wrong with you.

0/10

Yes, that bad. I'd give sharknado 1/10

20. Malevolence

Capodecina

Midway - 2.5/10

Not only is it poorly acted but the pacing is all over the place and the CGI is just plain rubbish. And then we get to the historical inaccuracies in the story, oh man...