What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The new one on Disney + called Jungle Cruise.

Jungle Cruise (2021) - IMDb

10/10 another great film! No spoilers though.

I really wanted to like it, The Mummy is one of my favourite films but this felt incredibly derivative and the last 2/3 was pretty dull. The cast was underwhelming and the romance between the two leads was one of the most ridiculous I've seen in a film.

Soldato
Red Notice 6.5/10

Was entertaining and kept me amused for a couple of hours
I'd give it a 5. Agree with the comment, although we both fell asleep for some of it :o Entertaining enough... just. I don't really expect much from Netflix's feature films nowadays, they're really just turning into the sausage factory of studios.

Soldato
The Eternals - While still fairly fun to watch it's the worst Marvel film for me so far. Even the not so great ones I've thought were brilliant, this one not so much.

It spent 3/4's of the film introducing each character (for a second time), none of which I particularly liked, then once it started to get going it ended.

5-6/10

Caporegime
Red Notice 5/10

- Jeez Ryan Reynolds is getting "dry" i mean i still laughed at his stupid comments but are they scripted or him just adlibbing for 2h??
- The Rock is the Rock....
- Gal Gadot is terrible but honestly every scene with here i just perved at her and ignored everything else.

- 200 million dollars well spent netflix :rolleyes: on the most generic action film that seems to be a rehash of every similar film of the genera ever produced.

Soldato
Red Notice

5.7/10

Entertaining but really nothing special, a throwaway watch.

Reynolds whilst amusing, is quickly on he path to becoming a predictable and samey character on screen. I can't stand The Rock but tolerated him. Gal... yeah.. :D

For the money spent the CGI scenes are poor and there's a lot of them. Hilarious animal motion being a highlight.

The cast carried the movie. I won't be watching it again.

Man of Honour
Red Notice (2021)

Agree entirely with the above two comments, apart from the Gal Godot perving :) She's nice but I'm not that bothered.

It's quite frightening how much money Netflix can spend on some of the most generic and mediocre films ever. Not just this one, but almost everything they produce.

5/10

Soldato
Titane - 6/10 - a weird semi gender bending body horror.

Billed as one of the most ****** up movies you'll see, etc, etc - did well at Cannes apparently and can understand why but it just wasn't that good outside of an arty film festival.

It was certainly very uncomfortable viewing across multiple scenes and did keep me intrigued until the end so it gets points for that. It has moments of sharp punctuated violence that were surprising but obviously signposted in retrospect.

I'd say any curious horror fan should check it out and persevere until the end.

Caporegime
Red Notice (2021)

Agree entirely with the above two comments, apart from the Gal Godot perving :) She's nice but I'm not that bothered.

It's quite frightening how much money Netflix can spend on some of the most generic and mediocre films ever. Not just this one, but almost everything they produce.

5/10
I've never really got the love for Netflix. I've been a subscriber for a time.

The best thing I ever saw on it was Rick and Morty, which was genuinely brilliant. But that's not a Netflix own show anyhow, that's Adult Swim (as everybody knows).

The stuff that was Netflix-branded was generally as you say, very mediocre, filling up a space in the line-up where they needed "generic xxx genre content." Made to order, rather than made with passion. I got that vibe a lot from their own stuff. "We need a thing, who can we get to make us a thing, so we've got more thing in our library." It doesn't have to be all that great, they just need more of it to keep their subscribers.

I guess that's the nature of their business.

Man of Honour
I've never really got the love for Netflix. I've been a subscriber for a time.

The best thing I ever saw on it was Rick and Morty, which was genuinely brilliant. But that's not a Netflix own show anyhow, that's Adult Swim (as everybody knows).

The stuff that was Netflix-branded was generally as you say, very mediocre, filling up a space in the line-up where they needed "generic xxx genre content." Made to order, rather than made with passion. I got that vibe a lot from their own stuff. "We need a thing, who can we get to make us a thing, so we've got more thing in our library." It doesn't have to be all that great, they just need more of it to keep their subscribers.

I guess that's the nature of their business.

Their business model is unsustainable. They've borrowed billions of dollars to produce and license content. Now they've decided they've borrowed enough and will now attempt to pay the debt back while still increasing subscriber numbers. I can't see them being able to do that, when Disney, Amazon and other film studios have now launched their own streaming platforms and have far more money to attract subscribers away from Netflix.

Soldato
Their business model is unsustainable. They've borrowed billions of dollars to produce and license content. Now they've decided they've borrowed enough and will now attempt to pay the debt back while still increasing subscriber numbers. I can't see them being able to do that, when Disney, Amazon and other film studios have now launched their own streaming platforms and have far more money to attract subscribers away from Netflix.

I think they have circa 200 million subs and around $16billion debt, it's not inconceivable they could pay this off if they ease off on making new content - it is just the mcdonalds of content though, occasionally something great but mostly run of the mill tosh.

Disney are aiming for 240 - 260 million subs by end of 2024 - https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-has-slowest-growth-quarter/

EDIT: Seems Disney has over $40b of debt and will continue to spend over around $10b a year on content. - https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/med...t-disney-nysedis-has-a-meaningful-debt-burden

Man of Honour
I think they have circa 200 million subs and around $16billion debt, it's not inconceivable they could pay this off if they ease off on making new content - it is just the mcdonalds of content though, occasionally something great but mostly run of the mill tosh.

Disney are aiming for 240 - 260 million subs by end of 2024 - https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-has-slowest-growth-quarter/

EDIT: Seems Disney has over $40b of debt and will continue to spend over around $10b a year on content. - https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/med...t-disney-nysedis-has-a-meaningful-debt-burden

Disney has a lot of established and very popular properties that will attract new subscribers plus their own, as well a Fox's back catalogue.

We shall see.

Soldato
Disney has a lot of established and very popular properties that will attract new subscribers plus their own, as well a Fox's back catalogue.

We shall see.

For sure and I was in agreement with your original post, just did some digging on the Disney side around debt/expenditure. They seem to be taking their sweet time adding the Fox content though - i've paused my sub until they have a lot more. I'm not overly bothered about the Marvel content as the quality of the MCU shows is ropey at best.

Might start it back up for Boba Fett though :)

Man of Honour
Reminiscence (2021)

Starts slow, doesn't really build any tension or pace throughout. Not surprising when it's by the same people who produced the TV show Westworld ( I tried twice to get in to that show)

Reminded me of Minority Report in the way it solves a mystery by using visual memories, just nowhere near as good.

Hugh Jackman's and Rebecca Ferguson's performances were good, just a shame the film was so bang average.

5/10

Soldato
I think Universal were interested, but at one point decided to pass. You have to remember not-only does Netflix release some of it's own-produced titles, but it also buys the ones passed on by the main studios for theatrical release. Often, like Red Notice, it shows :o

Titane - 6/10 - a weird semi gender bending body horror.
Same director as RAW? That was stunning. Is it only in cinemas currently?

Man of Honour
I think Universal were interested, but at one point decided to pass. You have to remember not-only does Netflix release some of it's own-produced titles, but it also buys the ones passed on by the main studios for theatrical release. Often, like Red Notice, it shows :o

Same director as RAW? That was stunning. Is it only in cinemas currently?

I believe Red Notice was subject to a bidding war before it went in to production. I bet some of the big studios that lost that one are breathing a sigh of relief.

Back
Top Bottom