What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Spiderman: No Way Home - 6/10 - Messy but I liked it. I think the reason it's doing so well is that we've been fed such utter crap for so long that, as soon as something thats just "good" comes along, it gets over-praised for being better than it really is. I found it still had the same problem that these "multiple villain" films have in that you don't get to spend enough time with each one, although it was slightly mitigated in this case IF you'd watched the other 5 spiderman films to have a bit more backstory. I did enjoy the multi-spidey "riffing" though, I thought that worked well.

Cinema Experience - Minus 1,000,000,000,000,000,000/10 - This cinema trip made me want to "sail the high sea's" from now on rather than risk going back to a cinema as, out of the 70-ish customers, about 3 families combined of about 15 people absolutely destroyed this film for me. The arrogance of each family in deciding "I want to see the film so screw everyone of the 70 other people who've paid their money, I'm bringing my screaming baby (3x prams!), 2/3x 5yo kids who are uncontrollable little gits and I'll just keep answering my mobile all through-out the film even after the staff ask me not to twice". Scum like these are a big reason (but not the biggest) why piracy exists. If I could have seen this in the comfort of my own home via streaming (or "other") I would never go to a cinema again unless it's the midnight Sunday showing with just me there.

Soldato
Cinema Experience - Minus 1,000,000,000,000,000,000/10
Ouch. I would have asked for my money back!

I remember going to see Spectre and throughout the opening sequence a smartly dressed guy and girl (clearly on a date) talked incessantly all the way through. I turned to him and politely said "If you're going to talk all the way through there's plenty of other seats down there away from me". He looked mortified and sulked all the way through. Still ruined that opening for me though :(

We watched Don't Look Up - 6/10. A bit try hard but entertaining enough. I dont get all the miserable reviews?

Soldato
I remember going to see Spectre and throughout the opening sequence a smartly dressed guy and girl (clearly on a date) talked incessantly all the way through.

There is 3 very emotion driven bits of the Spiderman film and all 3 were spoiled by a baby screaming to be fed, some <5yo's fighting over popcorn and finally two babies (one either side of the screen) screaming. What I find unbelievable is that each of those 3 families must have spent say £40-50+ to go to the cinema and yet none of those 3 families actually got to see the whole film, whether it was the Mum's dealing with a baby or Dad's dealing with the ten or more <5yo kids running about, fighting, throwing food at each other etc, the families adults had the movie ruined for them and the Kids didn't watch the film so what the hell was the point in going in the first place??????

Associate
The King's Man (2021) - 6/10

A much more serious entry in the series, although it still has some eccentric and fun action scenes and comical looking characters.

The tone manages to be consistent as it works through the partial alternative history plot, focusing on the history, horrors of war and father/son relationship in turn.

Good acting and rousing British music, but longer than it should have been and not really what I was expecting.

Caporegime
Don't look up

Clearly produced by people unsure whether it's comedy, tragedy, or satire, it fails at all three despite a star cast and a standout performance from Di Caprio. Some scenes seem like they could have been truly great in a better film.

Missable but not awful 6/10.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shang chic AND THE 10 RINGS FEATURING CAPS LOCK and i turned it off cos i don't really care. 7/10

Yeah whatever it was ok. I like Wong he should have been in it all the time, so should Dr Strange tbh.
The story was pleasant enough i didn't hate any characters.
Ben Kingsley, i understand why he was there but the joke got instantly old and his arse monster with parrot wings pet thing....
The guy with the sword hand lol

fine...

I guess ill watch eternals when it comes to "blew" ray or streaming whatever.

Soldato
Shang chic AND THE 10 RINGS FEATURING CAPS LOCK and i turned it off cos i don't really care. 7/10

Yeah whatever it was ok. I like Wong he should have been in it all the time, so should Dr Strange tbh.
The story was pleasant enough i didn't hate any characters.
Ben Kingsley, i understand why he was there but the joke got instantly old and his arse monster with parrot wings pet thing....
The guy with the sword hand lol

fine...

I guess ill watch eternals when it comes to "blew" ray or streaming whatever.
Sums it up perfectly!! It’s just very meh, without being bad. I think.

Soldato
The Unforgivable, im not sure where i sit on this one, are we suppose to feel sorry for her and frustration/anger towards the brothers? (whilst not excusing their actions) they were the victims in this but she comes across as not exactly a saint whilst also being a victim of sorts (i dont want to give to much away) but pictured otherwise and the help she musters along the way by pulling at the heart strings.
It touches on ethnic reveres rolls but you have to wonder if the gender rolls were reversed would it have worked. cynical me is gonna shut up now :D

edit - without looking to deeply into it all, it was a solid 7/10!

Soldato
Don't Look Up....should have been called Don't Watch Me.

2/10.

The two points are for 1. Jennifer Lawrence & 2. The last 15 minutes. What an absolute steaming pile of you know what. I get its dark humour, satire aimed at showcasing how incredibley stupid we've become as society and how our of touch world leaders and politicians are , but it just wasn't funny. I get the characters we are meant to hate, but my god it made me cringe and rage, if that's the point of the movie then bravo, you succeeded. One one hand it tries to be serious, on the other hand it tries to be funny but in the end it just fails to do either and falls flat.

A film ripping the crap out of fake celebs, social media, politicians I should have loved but the whole movie simply drove me up the wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Unforgivable, im not sure where i sit on this one, are we suppose to feel sorry for her and frustration/anger towards the brothers? (whilst not excusing their actions) they were the victims in this but she comes across as not exactly a saint whilst also being a victim of sorts (i dont want to give to much away) but pictured otherwise and the help she musters along the way by pulling at the heart strings.

I thought it was interesting as I did spend the first half of the movie not liking her (eg I didn't like 'Up' as I thought the old guy was just a d*ck and that stuck with me) then you get the twist and you rather go 'oh, hmm, well I guess that's different'. I'm not sure what you mean about her 'help she musters along the way pulling at heart strings'? I didn't think she particularly did? She kept it all secret?

Caporegime
Isle of Dogs - 9/10
(Film4/All4)

I guess you would describe it as an adult cartoon, but I tried getting mother to watch it and she hated it after 5 mins (she prefers children's cartoons).

In any case, it's entirely charming, funny and quirky throughout. Something all cat and dog lovers should watch :)

Associate
Klaus (2019) - 10/10

A fun and heartwarming Christmas tale full of comical characters, quirky animation, funny moments and great slapstick action.

It’s fast paced, full of humour and has a wonderful tale full of friendship and magic throughout.

Highly enjoyable with good emotional pop songs, even if they do feel a bit out of place.

Back
Top Bottom