What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Don't Look Up.

Despite the opinions given in this thread, I thought I'd give it a go as De Caprio and Lawrence, two of my favourite actors, are part of the cast.

I must have watched about 40 mins or so and just couldn't get into it. I can't say I thought it was all that bad, but at least as far as I'm concerned,
it was kind of a something and nothing experience. There just wasn't anything much there keeping me interested.

Maybe it improves later on or is simply a very slow burner? Either way, for now, it's a pass from me.

Caporegime
The Irishman. 9/10. Seriously enjoyed this. Even if it is a slow burner mob flick. Great acting despite age constraints etc.

Theres one scene in that movie thats comical and how it got shot and remained that way is baffling. Deniro going to the shop and pulls out the shopkeeper who pushed his daughter and admisters a comical looking kicking. You have glass on a door that appears to break for no real reason (apparently bread or the shopkeeperss head hit it), and a mid 70's deniro trying to act like a guy in his 30's dishing out a booting whilst stumbling around like an old man trying to keep his balance. I find it baffling how that was shot that way and they were ok with it, instead of using digital face replacement on a stuntman to do it, the scene was filmed at a bit of a range so using cg would have been an option.

For anyone that hasn't see it, youtube under "deniro beating man who pushed his daughter".

Associate
Theres one scene in that movie thats comical and how it got shot and remained that way is baffling. Deniro going to the shop and pulls out the shopkeeper who pushed his daughter and admisters a comical looking kicking. You have glass on a door that appears to break for no real reason (apparently bread or the shopkeeperss head hit it), and a mid 70's deniro trying to act like a guy in his 30's dishing out a booting whilst stumbling around like an old man trying to keep his balance. I find it baffling how that was shot that way and they were ok with it, instead of using digital face replacement on a stuntman to do it, the scene was filmed at a bit of a range so using cg would have been an option.

For anyone that hasn't see it, youtube under "deniro beating man who pushed his daughter".

Caporegime
It's a film, not real life. You understand that right? The suspension of disbelief.

I enjoyed it. 8-10

Funny that as its the one scene everyone brings up as being so bad in the movie, and it could easily have been done differently.

Nothing to do with with suspension of disbelief, just a badly shot scene.

Caporegime
I'm not really sure what to give Don't Look Up. I enjoyed the first 30 mins or so then it kind of meandered for a while and then it got better.

There were definitely some good scenes, some funny characters but overall it was just too long for what it was.

Caporegime
I'm only guessing but i wonder if perhaps De Niro pushed to do that scene himself.

If he did then he should be embarrassed, it's so "doddery old man" looking it's cringey. Even the way he kicks in the scene it's like he's attempting to keep his feet off the ground for the shortest time possible in case he falls over.

Soldato
Not last night but over the last few days:

Ghostbusters Afterlife - as an adult I give 5.5/10 - Probably if I was much younger I would give a higher score, the last 20 minutes were great tho.

Don't look up - 7/10

Associate
The Midnight Sky (2020) - 6/10

I really don’t know if this is a good film or not.

It’s slow going and somewhat atmospheric with good special effects and the premise was interesting, but it doesn’t have much of a story to tell.

The groups deal with their isolationism and willingness to survive with such professionalism there’s not much drama and the few events they do have to overcome is done relatively easily.

The acting was good, but it was hard to bond with any of the characters.

Caporegime
Lady Macbeth. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4291600/

Aside from Florence Pugh's beauty, this appealed to me as I thoroughly enjoyed Midsommar and fancied checking out something else with her in the main role.

I found it a slow and somewhat unenjoyable start but maybe due to tiredness, I didn't bother to switch it off and gradually began to be drawn in by it.

A somewhat unexpected and possibly a bit of a sudden ending but overall, well-worth seeing.

Back
Top Bottom