What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Fight Club.

Now i get that people regard these types of films as works of genius. Personally i loath them, and want to hate myself every time i fall for watching another.

Obviously i was oblivious to the nature of the film. Despite everybody talking about it, nobody actually did beyond the memes, puns, and the stupidity of calling themselves Tyler Durden 12918 online. I was all set for a rumpus of a film along the lines of something like Gone in 60 Seconds or something, very much the style of the time, and given the cast there was little to doubt that probably would be the case.

Fight Club, The Game, Shutter Island, eXistenZ, all of them, unfortunately can't be unseen.

FC, The Game, Shutter Island, Shawshank, Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense etc - these are classics!! Movies that actually make you go "Wow!" when you realise not is all as it seems. Down to the viewer how they interpret/enjoy/hate the movie - but i'm all for different styles of movies, especially ones that don;t follow the Hollywood formula of cliches and tropes.

I'd be interested in what movies you enjoy, rate as classics etc.

Soldato
Not watched Fight Club in a while but I loved it originally and saw it as a masterpiece of filmmaking. Seeing it from the perspective of a man who clearly has mental health issues and possible schizophrenia imagining a personality to try and help him deal with his life and things he wasn't happy with was genius.
It's also a movie that seems to have more heft, weight and meaning in todays society than it did the time it came out.

I don't agree that you can't rewatch movies with great twists, rewatches show you the setup, the things you missed on the way through - ultimately for me, movies are about the journey, not the destination.

Don
The Batman - solid, I was impressed with Pattinson and enjoyed the whole spectacle. 4/5

I watched this over the weekend, and have to say despite coming in with reservations (both about Pattinson and the need for another Batman reboot in general), this is probably my favourite Batman film of all.

Pattinson is great and absolutely nails the Batman role (Bruce Wayne perhaps not so much, but even so). The whole film is grungy and raw, with a dark and grim view of Gotham that is a sort of blend of Burton's Batman films, with some of the focus on the criminal underworld that the Gotham TV show had.

At nearly 3 hours it's a long film, but it certainly doesn't feel it - as there's enough suspense and mystery to keep even the slower sections of film interesting, interspersed with some great action sequences.

5/5

Soldato
Predator (1987) at the cinema - a movie i've seen countless times but seeing on the big screen just added something special. It's a movie that is perfectly paced, doesn't miss a beat throughout and although it does have some silly and convenient moments, it's just fantastic - 9/10 (previously 8/10 on small screen)

Last edited:
Associate
Copshop: Director: Joe Carnahan Stars: Gerard Butler, Frank Grillo, Alexis Louder 5/10 Shallow gun fest.

I think we're alone now
: Director: Reed Morano Stars: Peter Dinklage,Elle Fanning,Charlotte Gainsbourg 4/10 man this film was dull, very slow yawn fest.

Soldato
It's also a movie that seems to have more heft, weight and meaning in todays society than it did the time it came out.

I don't agree that you can't rewatch movies with great twists, rewatches show you the setup, the things you missed on the way through - ultimately for me, movies are about the journey, not the destination.
Indeed. Another great film with a twist was The Sixth Sense. Rewatching that really shows you all the clubs you missed as to what was actually going on. There aren't that many films that make my jaw drop but that was certainly a great twist.

Caporegime
Indeed. Another great film with a twist was The Sixth Sense. Rewatching that really shows you all the clubs you missed as to what was actually going on. There aren't that many films that make my jaw drop but that was certainly a great twist.

Indeed. Still is my no 1 mind-blowing twist of any film. I don't think I saw it coming at the time either. As he walks down the street and slowly changes, pretty sure my jaw remained open.

Soldato
Indeed. Still is my no 1 mind-blowing twist of any film. I don't think I saw it coming at the time either. As he walks down the street and slowly changes, pretty sure my jaw remained open.
I stupidly spoiled the twist for myself as watched the DVD extras before I watched the film lmao. It was still epic though and sadly something the director has never managed to replicate in his follow up films(although he keeps trying)

Soldato
I couldn't find the first movie on Amazon Prime so settled with the second to watch with my morning coffee, Grave Encounters 2.
First film was pretty good but suffers from something I hate in horror...

It becomes apparent early one there will be no escape, once this happens it's hard to stay invested and have any investment in the characters, it's essentially just waiting for them to all be killed off. Horror for me always needs an element of hope, regardless how hopeless a situation may seem, Grave Encounters removes this too early.
Guns Akimbo.

Caught this on TV last night. Never heard of it. Great laugh :D solid 8/10
Such a fun action packed movie - really liked this.

Back
Top Bottom