What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
So, that's it. Finally done. Serviced the Passat with air + pollen filters. Oil and Oil filter, and the fuel filter (actually done that about 3 weeks ago, but since the car was on axle stands since while I was waiting on the shocks, I'll mark that service down as completed today). Then replaced the rear shocks and bumpstops / dust guards with KYB items. If only it didn't take 6 weeks to get the flipping second shock, I'd have had it all done in a day. 3-4 weeks ago. Grrrrrr.

Still, now only a couple sensors to do (thermostat and coolant temp), a tyre on the NSF (will likely change both even though the OSF has 6+mm it is a ditchfinder), and I guess a timing belt / water pump for piece of mind. Once all that is done, she should be good for a few more thousand miles. The only advisory on the last MOT was the rear shocks (and a number plate, which has been ordered, will swap tomorrow), so now they are done, there should be very little else to worry about. I'll probably leave that stuff for a few months though. I have the cooling fans and rear brakes on the Edition 30 to do (R32 upgrade on the brakes), and the glowplug harness and glowplugs on the Alhambra.

Man of Honour
WhatsApp%20Image%202017-06-23%20at%2019.28.14.jpg

(Yes the anti-rattle bracket was removed before taking the picture, no the axle stand isn't bending the sill, that's the reflection of the trolley jack handle!)

Swapped out the Mintex M1144 pads on the front with PFC Z Rated. The Mintex pads come with no anti-squeal pads attached to the rear, that explains the howling at low speed braking. Never again...

Soldato
Washed, polished, Sonax BSD, Gtechniq G5 and new wiper blades on the Passat (I had bought them for my old Range Rover, which is now gone, and they are ~ the correct size for the Passat). It's now ready to be driven for a test run after all that work.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Finally got my A6 back. So nice to have a car that doesn't stop itself for no reason and cause an accident, doesn't lock itself so you have to unlock it to get your bag out the back, doesn't move the seat all the way back when you open the door, or have a centre console that wobbles around like nobody's business.

Shame the engine sounds like a even bigger bag of even bigger spanners since Audi worked their 'Dieselgate' magic. That, and that it now averages the same MPG as that Mazda6 2.0 petrol loaner - mid-30s! :(

Caporegime
Lol. Yup. Under a rock. Behind the bushes. Definitely not there.
Took it in to bmw on Friday for some minor things (rear reflector keeps popping out, foam tape underneath was peeling, one jacking point was completely missing) and they were due to have it back to me Friday afternoon. Had a call Friday evening to say they wanted to keep it overnight and work on a previous problem they hadn't sorted.
Come Saturday I hear nothing so give them a call to find that all the service guys have gone home and they don't know what the status of my car is or where it is. Whether it's in the workshop, the yard, or one of two storage compounds they use. Nobody from service is in til Monday so I'm now getting chauffeured around by them instead.

Man of Honour
A small amount was applied yes, just not as much as the ends. Doesn't matter now anyway, PFC pads with the same amount applied do not squeal. I've had two sets of PFC pads over the years, the first set had no grease applied to the anti-squeal pads, only the ends and they faintly squealed (although nowhere near as loud as the Mintex), when they were re-done with grease on the pads, no more squeal, although strangely that was only for the rears, fronts were fine. Since then, all had been greased on the backs out of practice.

It's the first and last time I will buy track pads for the road.

Lol. Yup. Under a rock. Behind the bushes. Definitely not there.
Took it in to bmw on Friday for some minor things (rear reflector keeps popping out, foam tape underneath was peeling, one jacking point was completely missing) and they were due to have it back to me Friday afternoon. Had a call Friday evening to say they wanted to keep it overnight and work on a previous problem they hadn't sorted.
Come Saturday I hear nothing so give them a call to find that all the service guys have gone home and they don't know what the status of my car is or where it is. Whether it's in the workshop, the yard, or one of two storage compounds they use. Nobody from service is in til Monday so I'm now getting chauffeured around by them instead.

Don't they update the computerised system every time it moves location?

Soldato
Replaced the Pagid front brake pads with PFC-Zs. Pagids were fine day to day, and stopped the squeal, but I noticed they had lost the initial bite of the OEM pads when driving "spiritedly", so I thought it might be worth upgrading them.

Probably unfair to judge the PFC-Z yet - I've done a few repeated hard stops, but I still don't think they are fully bedded in, and I've probably done less than 10 miles on them.

Associate
Spent the weekend getting the paint up to scratch on 182 for Summer -

Various Menzerna polishes used to correct the paint, then a base layer of CarPro Essence before application of Cquartz UK.

lj17elw.jpg

IYPK3ly.jpg

xHFWZ7w.jpg

VYWckqZ.jpg

anRxt1c.jpg

OHVD6ef.jpg

aWnwIXa.jpg

vbffOnA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom