What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
Mobile data is pretty pricey though, especially when you compare it to free. Reception is even more sketchy than DAB too.

I have 8GB for £15 a month sim only I struggle to use even half of it and use the phone daily for radio apps, watching video etc. How much does a DAB radio cost plus you have that aerial to deal with when any car with an AUX in can play digital radio stations pretty easy. Plus being an android phone you have access to every song ever made through Youtube.

I drove all across Europe using my mobile data and never had a problem with signal. Not any worse to DAB. It might cause a concern in real rural areas but then you can revert back to FM.

Soldato
I have 8GB for £15 a month sim only I struggle to use even half of it and use the phone daily for radio apps, watching video etc. How much does a DAB radio cost plus you have that aerial to deal with when any car with an AUX in can play digital radio stations pretty easy. Plus being an android phone you have access to every song ever made through Youtube.

I drove all across Europe using my mobile data and never had a problem with signal. Not any worse to DAB. It might cause a concern in real rural areas but then you can revert back to FM.

Pfffttt...£20 for unlimited data. :cool:

I have the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB as I was able to get it cheap a good while back when Halfords were doing trade in on non dab units for dab ones...list price everywhere was around £180 at the time and I paid about £130 or something in the end. I didn't really care for the DAB abilities but I had been looking at the DEH-X8700BT which was also listed at £180 everywhere and has all the same features, minus DAB. I did look at the same unit as @agw_01 but decided against it as at the time it cost more than the 8700 and a visible CD slot isn't that bad...not that it ever gets used.

I've used the DAB about 3 times in a couple of years, the signal isn't amazing even in the middle of cities (could be the antenna I'm using to be fair) and so if I bother to have music on (rare these days really) then I'll just use the BT connection to my phone and either use local media or stream using my data. Plus, DAB means you have to listen to a radio and ads / annoying presenters, urgh.

I tend to only use my phone for sat nav so the BT just runs the audio for that through the stereo mostly...having been around Europe in it, that's really quite handy. I have hands free set up with it all too, seems to work fine but I prefer to just not take calls when driving.

So yeah, DAB is, IMO, largely pointless these days as BT + phones are cheap enough.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Swapped the LED bulbs, the 1st ones failed after 2 days. :p This time, it only took me 2 min. Looks like, the brackets I made work well. :D

DAB is good when you're just popping to the local shops and back. I couldn't be asked to fiddle with my phone and BT...

Last edited:
Associate
Voltage regulator replaced after the old one started to stop doing its job.

Also finished painting my replacement parking sensor, so just leaving the lacquer to harden for a couple of days and will fit at the weekend, finally I can be rid of the death chime every time I engage reverse!

Caporegime
Noticed an absolutely retarded design feature on mine today. The washer hose rubs on the wiper when it's in use...so far this has only slightly thinned my hose (ooo err) but has stripped the paint off part of the wiper arm. Checked on a mates car and his is doing the same!

Soldato
Noticed an absolutely retarded design feature on mine today. The washer hose rubs on the wiper when it's in use...so far this has only slightly thinned my hose (ooo err) but has stripped the paint off part of the wiper arm. Checked on a mates car and his is doing the same!

it's a feature, the idea behind it is that by the time the hose splits you will need it replaced anyway.

I might be bsing.

Soldato
Bought a Mk1 Audi TT 225 Quattro as my new daily driver. Only doing 20 miles a day mostly on B roads. It's in fantastic condition for an 02 plate, with loads of recent maintenance (cambelt, water pump, rear bushes and a lambda sensor).

Drives really well and is quick enough to keep me happy for a while.

Back
Top Bottom