What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
New knobs all round. Well the E30 one is the original, re-trimmed in new leather. (not perfect, I did it.) - And the chrome thing won't be to everyones taste (and its not got the collar done up fully in this pic either :p) - I just had it laying around and thought I'd switch it.

yEWPdTql.jpg wHYhXU2l.jpg

Caporegime
I've already taken it off, it ****ed me off for the opposite reason. Too damn cold! :p

And it looked crap. I don't like the stock knob too much though, looking at OE alternatives atm. Wondering if a GT86 knob will fit.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Fitted a DAB radio along with the antenna, got it for £25 delivered to my front door... Whilst getting the antenna, saw the price in Halfords. Do people really pay £140 for radios like this? :o

IMG_20171013_201643.jpg

IMG_20171013_201545.jpg

Caporegime
Apparently so.

I don't see why though. I bought a Sony car radio new for £35, it sounded decent, had an aux and USB input, and didn't look ****. Had it in three cars. I've had those £150~ jobbies come with a couple of cars now and I can honestly say that they look and feel crap... They just have RGB lights, DAB, bluetooth, hands-free, and a bunch of other stuff crammed in. None of which works particularly well or is particularly easy to use... :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
DAB is easy to use, it setups up itself and finds all the channels (someone will probably correct my terminology) with most radio stations on. It does feel cheap, I wouldn't pay more than 50-60 for it, if it was brand new.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/pioneer-deh-x7800dab-car-stereo

I think the guy didn't know how to change the language, as the radio was in Russian when I got it. Good thing is, I still remember some... :p BTW I'm not Russian.

Soldato
I don't see why though. I bought a Sony car radio new for £35, it sounded decent, had an aux and USB input, and didn't look ****. Had it in three cars. I've had those £150~ jobbies come with a couple of cars now and I can honestly say that they look and feel crap... They just have RGB lights, DAB, bluetooth, hands-free, and a bunch of other stuff crammed in. None of which works particularly well or is particularly easy to use... :p

I can assure you, unless your £35 brand new Sony head unit was from eBay as old stock, it's crap :p

And yes, because all a £150 head unit has to offer is flashy lights and DAB, BT and hands free. Ok, scrap the flashy lights, but the other stuff is actually quite useful. Not to mention (from my experience with my £150 Pioneer DEH-X9600BT), 4v pre-outs, 5 band EQ, multiple rear USB ports, high resolution display. Sod it, I'm going to throw it in the bin and buy a £35 Sony instead.

I bet you'd even turn your nose up at a P77MP because it doesn't have USB ports! :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
How many of those functions, do you actually use on your daily commute?

I use DAB and Bluetooth paired with Spotify (you can control the songs via the radio controls, pretty handy).

Last edited:
Soldato
Since when was a car just about commuting?

Anyway, as my commute is 50 miles each way I've been able to compare between my Impreza with the DEH-X9600BT and my ZT with a DEH-1500UB. The X9600BT having multiple rear USB ports, BT, handsfree and a much better display.

I can 100% say that the X9600BT is a far superior and easier unit to use than the 1500UB. The ZT has a separate hands free kit installed and is always interrupting the music because it thinks I've asked it do something. Never had this with the 9600.

The rear USB ports are aesthetically cleaner and means I can run multiple sticks at once. Also, no USB drive sticking out the front of the dash. If I don't fancy listening to the radio, I can stream directly from YouTube to the 9600 via BT. No need to plug an AUX cable into the front of the head unit.

The display (3 lines instead of 1) is also so much nicer to use. Both headunits have a 5 band EQ but the 1500UB is not as aesthetically pleasing, the 9600 takes me back to my P80MP days in terms of its menu/EQ layout. It's just a nicer experience.

The 9600 does have something called MixTrax which causes the unit to cycle colours and attempt to mix tracks itself. I agree with Acme on this sort of feature which in my case, is absolutely turned off.

I spend more time in the MG than I do in the Scoob, and am always longing for the features that the 9600 has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom