1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Scania

Capodecina

Got a flat recently, walked around the car before I got in (always do) all four were fine,noticed it was down at the rear within 1/2 mile at low speed, stopped and changed the wheel, I’d driven just over 1/2 mile at most at below 25mph.

The tyre was toast (chunk of metal through the sidewall)but I was very surprised to see the tyre was full of rubber powder when the fitter took it off and he said even if the puncture was slap in the middle of the tread the tyre was weakened and scrap.

2. Acme

Caporegime

Was in the outside lane of the A27 doing 70~ the other night and encountered a massive leafy branch on one side of the lane which I didn't have time to safely avoid, so through it I went...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems OK after a scrub up.

[​IMG]

Few new chips etc... To add to the collection...

[​IMG]

Need to do my headlights.

3. Conscript

Sgarrista

That'll polish out I think. There was lots of detritus on the drive home last night after all that wind and rain.
    Some muppet fell off the M25 causing a 2 hour tailback, so I had to go through the back roads. Managed to test the wading depth of the GT86 after coming up behind a few cars waiting to tackle a huge puddle that had formed on the road at one section. Hatchback at the front turned round and found another route. Next two small SUVs went through no trouble. I watched how deep it was as they went through and it didn't look too bad, just very large. So I gave my undertray a wash :D

4. Invertigo

Wise Guy

Flushed my brake fluid through a couple of times in the last year, as I had no record of it being done previously.

Last fill is now using ATE TYP200 and filled using a pressure bleeder, result is a significantly firmer pedal, even than with new cheap fluid. I suspect my previous method using the pressure bleeder actually introduced microbubbles into the fluid.

Also swapped pads over, and everything is much improved. Better pedal feel and much more bite on the brakes too.

5. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

Found a few videos of the M power performance exhaust+sound kit from BMW for the 340i. It sounds how I want mine to sound; lots more burbles and bangs and cracks :( But, it's a minimum of £1500 to buy and that's before fitting :(

6. Acme

Caporegime

Find crashed M3, buy exhaust.

7. Phemo

Soldato

Finally got rid of my 320d with knackered gearbox. With its age/spec/mileage and lack of proper service history (I'd planned on driving it into the ground so just did everything myself) it would probably have been worth about £3k if that, if it was working properly.

Gearbox repair would've cost at least £1k and suspension refresh about £400 for the parts alone. Oh and it had a rattly cam chain. I ended up flogging it as-is for £1400 so I don't think I came out of it too badly (although I can knock £52 off that for having to get the train to work, tax and day insure it to bring it back home). Will kind of miss it though, I had it for 3 and a half years and did 105k miles in it.

So that's finally both of my knackered cars gone. It's good to have the driveway back again.

8. Acme

Caporegime

Bought a 320d with a funny gearbox noise for £1400! :D

I'm sure I can probably fix the noise with hammers. Suspension knocking too but I have some £150 JOM coilovers on the way!

Nah JK. :p

So you sold it in the end then? Took a while! :eek:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  9. Phemo

Soldato

Yeah it took me long enough, nearly 3 months I think :) I dumped it at work a few days after I got a new car and just ended up leaving it there. Was busy with work and I ended up having to get another car for the wife so the driveway was tied up with that old shed (the car, not wife) for a while. Made things tricky, but at least it's all out the way now. No more jigging cars around every day.

10. Hades

Capodecina

Got towed to the garage today. Car wouldn't start. When the RAC finally got it to start it blasted out loads of smoke.

Going to be expensive...

11. LEUVEN

Hitman

Each to their own and all that, but someone near me has an Impreza which sounded good.... untill he had all the snap, crackle and pop mapped in, well I presume he's had it mapped in as it just doesn't sound right or suit the car IMO, such a shame really. :(

12. Acme

Caporegime

Probably lunched turbo.

13. acemastr

Mobster

Washed and waxed with Collinite 476... arms like popeye afterwards... not very easy in 85f sunny weather!

14. Hades

Capodecina

Yep, most likely cause.

I was hugely disappointed with the first RAC guy that looked at it last night. He checked for codes (one found but cleared and didn't return). Then said there's nothing else he can access to even start looking at and it, and it needed a garage with better diagnostics equipment. Aside from checking codes he didn't look at anything. So I was going to get it towed to a VAG main dealer this morning to get more diagnostics done on it. I'd have gone to VAG simply because apart from not starting there were no symptoms and I reasoned that they would have the best chance of finding it easily. My indie is also quite far away.

When the second RAC guy turned up this morning to tow it there he wanted to take a second look out of curiosity that the first guy couldn't diagnose it. This second guy was much better. Even though he only turned up to tow me to the garage he started stripping parts off the engine and testing them. The plugs looked oily and were only recently changed so he swapped them and the car immediately started... initially ran smoothly... then spluttered, puffed out huge clouds of smoke, then gradually got worse and worse again as they oiled up and the car stalled. It was obvious at that point that there was oil being burned and the most likely cause was head gasket (no other symptoms of that) or most likely the turbo.

It could still be something else of course but it should at least be easier to find. At least it gave us an idea of what the most likely issue was and I could then divert and get it towed to my local indie garage instead who will be a lot cheaper than VAG. Looking back the first RAC guy just couldn't be bothered to start diagnosing it properly. It was late at night and he probably just wanted to end his shift and go home. I can understand that but it almost cost me a lot more in garage fees if I'd ended up at VAG instead of my usual indie.

15. Dunks

Sgarrista

What? So how can you repair a puncture then? You seem to suggest the only scenario you can repair a tyre is if you puncture a stationary tyre, and don't drive the car.

16. Conscript

Sgarrista

Punctured tyres don't have to go flat immediately. If you come out in the morning and find a tyre that has gone flat overnight due to a slow puncture, then you can repair it.
    That said, a couple of times, I've had tyres repaired after driving on them. But it's definitely not recommended.

17. acemastr

Mobster

Drove 1/4 mile on a flat 255/35/18 once without realizing it, tire place took it off and it was full of rubber shavings where it had pinched it all off the edges of the inside. Not worth that risk!

18. Dunks

Sgarrista

Makes sense :)

A slow puncture didn't occur to me :o

19. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Chopped the wiring for a rear light to a mk2 Focus to fit my mk1. Connected up the brake light wires by cutting, stripping and just wrapping them around to see if brake light works. It does and a) I know which wires go to the brake light and b) I know the wires are ok.

I've covered it in tape so i can drive to my mates and I'll solder it up tomorrow then attach it properly.

20. savagesam117

Mobster

Played with the MX5 today. Fitted a battery, new pads and discs all round, with cleaning, lubricating all things needed, checking all rubbers and anything else that can perish after 8 years of being stood on a drive.

Drove it for the first time, it's a pretty fun car to drive.

New springs to fit, paint to polish and an MOT to obtain.