What have you done to your car today?

Permabanned
The hood over the speedo/tacho binnacle has an annoying rattle, last resort is to drill a hole in the underside
and poke about to see if I can silence it.

I'll try a swap of the front wheels, since putting new tyres on the front the car has a tiny drift to the left.

Soldato
Got the front bumper paint chip repaired. £60, winner...

rps20180526_195757_186.jpg

But this past week it seems my windscreen washer pump has died, fuses all ok, there's no sound from the pump at all so I'll have to jack up the car, take off the driver side wheel, take out the arch lining, unscrew the first pump which is for the windscreen washer tank (2nd one is for the headlight washers), and check to see if the filter is clogged or not. That's what the instructions online say... But as there is no sound, i'm assuming it's a gonner :(

60 for the whole bumper?

Soldato
Ouch! but how did you do that with parking sensors?

I have no idea why the parking sensors didn't alert me... Not sure if the heavy rain played a part in it but the rain isn't usually an issue. It's my fault though. It was late at night, I reversed without properly looking/just assumed my boundaries and placed too much reliance on the sensors.

Terribly bad luck as well, there aren't many lampposts at all down that side of the road, maybe one every 30 meters?

I didn't want to admit this but to add insult to injury, somebody had only scraped into my rear bumper a few weeks ago with it coming out of the body shop less than 10 days ago.

Even the residue polish from the repair is still slightly visible.

Like I say, bad luck (and a dash of stupidity in this case). :(

Caporegime
I have no idea why the parking sensors didn't alert me... Not sure if the heavy rain played a part in it but the rain isn't usually an issue. It's my fault though. It was late at night, I reversed without properly looking/just assumed my boundaries and placed too much reliance on the sensors.

Terribly bad luck as well, there aren't many lampposts at all down that side of the road, maybe one every 30 meters?

I didn't want to admit this but to add insult to injury, somebody had only scraped into my rear bumper a few weeks ago with it coming out of the body shop less than 10 days ago.

Even the residue polish from the repair is still slightly visible.

Like I say, bad luck (and a dash of stupidity in this case). :(

Could always be worse. Nobody was hurt and the car is structurally sound. Hope it doesn't cost you too much though.

Soldato
Could always be worse. Nobody was hurt and the car is structurally sound. Hope it doesn't cost you too much though.

You're not wrong. It's just such a pain because the bumper was only just repaired. Nevermind, I'll take it as a lesson.

I'll update the thread when I know how much it's going to all cost.

Don
I repaired the ignition barrel wiring as it was causing the whole car to cut out when driving along. The barrel connectors were very corroded and causing a poor connection.

I disturbed the cabling this week when removing the dashboard so I must have knocked a dodgy joint somewhere. Hurray for no power steering or servo assisted breaking though, the car carried on driving normally even when the engine randomly gave out :D

Soldato
Finally got my car out for a test drive after taking it off the road on the 4th of may to install a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder & do a full suspension overhaul, it took way longer than planned.

It was a bit nerve wracking pulling away for the first time & my heart sank when it started juddering pulling away (ST220 so a ***** of a job to do)

The juddering vanished about half a mile into the drive so I presume it was just because it was new, car now drives like it has just rolled out of the showroom.

Soldato
Finally got my car out for a test drive after taking it off the road on the 4th of may to install a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder & do a full suspension overhaul, it took way longer than planned.

It was a bit nerve wracking pulling away for the first time & my heart sank when it started juddering pulling away (ST220 so a ***** of a job to do)

The juddering vanished about half a mile into the drive so I presume it was just because it was new, car now drives like it has just rolled out of the showroom.

Nice :) I do recall thinking that doing it all in a weekend was a bit ambitious :p

Associate
rIgy4dJm.jpg
PPIPvxfm.jpg

Boring i know but needs must! couple hours out in the sun cleaning and polishing!
Most of the 2 hours being on the front bumper scubbing off what looked like half
the worlds population of beasties!

Soldato
Few bits and bobs happened this weekend. First off, changed the spoiler for a carbon ducktail. A mate gave me a hand, so between the pair of us we got the old one off. It's a nice and simple job, just 4 bolts, and a couple of locking locator pins. I was expecting it to put up a fight but it came off in less than 5 mins. Fitting the new one was just a case of cleaning up the crap on the boot lid, covering the existing holes with some electricians tape, and then 3M'ing it in situ. It was easy with two people, and we got a perfect fit.

x8RLV5q.jpg

3dGb1rX.jpg

m48YeCC.jpg

The car's in for a 50k service. With me having a Grimmspeed intake, the garage won't be changing my air filter so I took it out for a clean/re-oil. Given how long it's been on it wasn't actually too bad, but the side facing the snorkel was considerably dirtier than the other side.

wPoyKUL.jpg

I gave it a good rinse from the inside out, soaked it in cleaner and then left it to dwell for 10 mins. Rinsed it off, gave it a brush and it came up far better:

vpe3UBt.jpg

It didn't take long to dry in the current weather, and to be double sure I blasted it out with an air cleaner. One quick, light re-oil later and it's time to let it soak in and refit:

zc2wDkI.jpg

Whilst that was soaking in I swapped out my windscreen sticker. Des who comes to the OcUK meets in his AMG 45 has started up a bit of a car Instagram called Antidote.uk so I'm throwing a bit of love his way. It's black glitter, near invisible until the light catches it. Very stealth, so gets my approval.
default_biggrin.png

tchT0V6.jpg

Finally, gave the car a wash since it was looking crap after the weekend storms.

OFggHoV.jpg

Really pleased with the overall look now. Just need to sort the indicators and repeaters for smoked ones and I think I'll be happy.
default_smile.png

Soldato
He does realise his sticker actually spells out aptidote, right? Greek letter pi obviously being a 'p', not an 'n'. Even if its the cyrillic it still spells aptidote! :p

Rear louvres are growing on me, rather like them now. Smoked front indicators will indeed look great, and whilst I'm not ordinarily a fan of the whole stealth-look (being a bit overplayed), I think the fact your paint isn't soild black allows you to carry it off well.

Back
Top Bottom