What have you done to your car today?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Finding a solid sound Mk1 chassis/body should be way up the priority list than the LSD. An LSD + shafts can be bought and fitted at relative low cost.

They are best with the TorSen though! I miss mine :(

Soldato
Tuning Developments manifold @Lowe?
I hear they are a good upgrade with a decent remap. Don't you have some engine mods already though? Or was it just suspension?

No, not a TD manifold. Heard a few bad things about their quality control. This is an RCM unequal length manifold. It's basically identical to the Tomei and Gruppe S - they're all made in the same factory, bit like Subaru and Toyota... I've got a Miltek overpipe due to land any day to go with it.

Re. other engine mods, just a Grimmspeed intake. :)

Soldato
No, not a TD manifold. Heard a few bad things about their quality control. This is an RCM unequal length manifold. It's basically identical to the Tomei and Gruppe S - they're all made in the same factory, bit like Subaru and Toyota... I've got a Miltek overpipe due to land any day to go with it.

Re. other engine mods, just a Grimmspeed intake. :)

Cool. I'll be honest, I wouldn't know how to spot the difference between most manifolds, just a shot in the dark as the TD manifold seems popular. Even so, with a remap by someone who knows what they're doing, you should see some decent gains. As I understand, the biggest restriction on the stock car is the OEM manifold with it's built in cat. Replacing that allows for better midrange torque.

Soldato
The TD manifolds use a longer tube design similar to the Cosworth system but use a 4-1 collector instead of a 4-2-1 so they can interchange turbo parts and EL/UEL a lot easier without changing much of the design. A manifold and remap can make such a huge difference to the drive-ability of the GT86 (mine supposedly has a 40% increase in mid-range power which the butt-dyno loves, great result with the car still N/A) but the downside is a huge increase in noise with the removal of the cat which can be amplified further down depending on the system you have. On a stock catback/midpipe the noise should be fine but if you're planning to go freeflow/sports cat it can get very loud quickly. Can't get mine on track now as it's over 105db on full throttle.

Soldato
This is a 4-1 design. I've got a Cobra resonated catback at the minute, but I'm planning on keeping the secondary cat so hopefully that'll keep on top of the noise a bit. Also when it gets fitted and mapped I'm having the cold start taken out too.

Soldato
Sort of my car, sort of not. Partners Corolla. Factory fit parking sensors were ridiculous, way out of calibration (flat-lining when still 1m from an object, starting to beep at quite a rapid frequency when 2m away) and just far far too loud. As a result she's pretty much stopped reversing as they make her 'nervous' and distract her.

Spent ages looking for a way of re-calibrating them or changing the frequency or at the very least the volume. Failed miserably so just proceeded to remove the speaker cable. Didn't realise I'd have to dismantle the entire boot to do it, naively thought that it would run through the headunit so pulled the whole centre console and half the dash out first.... Typical!

Remove all the boot trim, the boot seal and pull the liner away:
28cki8m.jpg

2mn4o3l.jpg

Then you can see the annoying blighter, yank the speaker cable out and find somewhere safe for it to sit (luckily fits beneath one of the trim pieces):
slk4dt.jpg

2n07rk5.jpg

Then you can get worried by the rust forming beneath the boot seal:
168iixh.jpg

That will definitely need cleaning up too... Last re-assemble and rejoice at blissful silence when reversing. Quite why you'd need parking sensors on a compact hatchback I don't know. I then swapped out the pollen filter which was well past its prime - covered in leaves and absolutely black.

Man of Honour
I had to take a part to my local indie garage today. While there I got talking to them about my other car (the Corrado), which led to talking about one of the mechanics mk1 Golf parked out the front. While doing that his mate turned up in a Golf mk2 GTI. The he pulled back the cover from a gorgeous Golf mk2 Rallye. It turned into a bit of a VW meet :)

Back
Top Bottom