1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Frozennova

Man of Honour

It hardly moves during the winter months, outside of going to the OCUK meet, Curborough and Dyno day I haven't driven it any more than about 100 miles.

The combination of tyres and power make it too much of a chore to drive when it's cold/damp/wet

2. Hyburnate

Capodecina

I bought 4 new tyres, the PZeros the car had were too deathly even in the wet. So, I've done the sensible thing and gone with some different summer tyres! PS4S's are to be fitted although they have much much much improved wet performance. Not sure what to do with half decent PZeros to be honest :p

3. Acme

Caporegime

Part worns go for decent money on eBay. Be surprised if you cant get at least £300 for the set.

4. Hyburnate

Capodecina

Seeing as that's half the cost of the brand new PS4Ss, that'd be pretty epic :p

I'll probably get some tread measurements make sure everything is good once they're off and whack them on Facebook, I'd rather not use eBay.

5. Acme

Caporegime

Yep. Theres a buzzing part worn tyre market on eBay though. I used to use it all the time. :p

Pleased to say both cars have matched sets of new tyres now though :p

6. Hyburnate

Capodecina

I'll stick them up and see if anyone bites...

7. rhysduck

Soldato

What size are the PZero's?

8. Hyburnate

Capodecina

235/35 R19

Not that I would sell them outside of the MM anyway (lol, is there even a category for that?)

9. rhysduck

Soldato

Bum :( would have had them off you if they were 18's!

10. Flack88

Wise Guy

WEPR manifold kit arrived (this thing is a piece of artwork) complete with external wastegate and yobbo pipe. Also picked up a genuine TD04L with 30K miles on it which I welded the wastegate shut on and rotated to fit my pipework.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Dis86

Capodecina

I found pzeros to be woeful in the past however the 981 has some on and they're fantastic. I don't know if the porsche specific ones have something in the compound but they are like a different brand. Don't blame you for ditching them at all though.

12. Acme

Caporegime

Is the 981 AWD? If so Id wager that helps. Plus it's probably got much wider tyres, and will have cleverer assists and better chassis dynamics etc. I bet if you put some PS4S' on or something it will still be much better even if its good now.

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

They don't do an AWD Boxster.

14. Hyburnate

Capodecina

My PZeros are the HN ones developed for the i30N only, much like Porsche specific ones.

They're still **** :D

I had them on my Abarth in the past, in March they slipped down a hill on snow... lol

15. Acme

Caporegime

Most summer tyres are woeful in snow to be fair.

16. WoodyUK

Soldato

There are a few different types of PZeros, the ones you walk into a tyre shop and purchase are generally the god awful dangerous-in-the-wet ones.

17. Hyburnate

Capodecina

Yes, and most snow/winter tyres are woeful in the dry in comparison, and not incredibly great in the wet.

I think the PS4S's are a good tyre, seem to be highly rated in the dry and wet and will be an improvement in the snow. I don't intend to drive in the snow if I'm honest I'll just work from home.

To be fair the ones I had weren't. They're "track" tyres, well, that's how they're sold whilst being road legal. They're in the boot of my car now :p

18. Phemo

Soldato

Changed the screen in from the basic 6.5" crappy screen to a new 10.25" Android head unit. I like this because you can still use the standard BMW iDrive functionality and just by pressing and holding the Menu button for a few seconds you can toggle between the BMW UI and Android.

I also coded the car to support the larger display and allow split screen because you can't do that with the basic display.

I haven't played around with the Android side much yet, but everything seems to be good so far.

Before (top radio station):

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Which unit is that?

20. Phemo

Soldato

It's the Avin one, Android 7.1 version. Typically the 8.1 version with an upgraded CPU was announced while this one was on its way to me but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle of sending it back.