1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Acme

Caporegime

I doubt a ruined ball joint would have as much effect on the steering as you are imagining.

2. hux

Wise Guy

Perhaps, but it came on pretty fast that's for sure.
    I have a wishbone on my list just in case, for now I'll stick with the struts.

3. Acme

Caporegime

Best of luck. I need to chase down a knock from the back of the MX5, and a bearing noise. :p

4. hux

Wise Guy

Thanks, turms out the rh balljoint is fine, least for a good few months as is the tie rod.
    The clunk sounded like it was under the car, only on the rh being pushed it happemed.
    Anyway gotta wait on a 36mm cocket for the driveshaft.

5. badgeruk

Wise Guy

Paid the tax on it, all £555 of it :( Going to be an expensive month this :(

6. Vita

Capodecina

Did the mot for the buyer of the focus st. Passed with no advisories. I wish the dvla would hurry up with the v5 with the old plate on. Attempted it online but due to it being untaxed sometime in the last 5 years I had to send a form and the v5 in.

:-/

7. Blackjack Davy

Mobster

Its going in for its annual service and mot a month early (need to cut down on mileage). I've been quoted £150 for the service but no doubt they'll find all sorts of extra stuff to do that'll triple the price. Also accident repair at the end of the month had a prang over xmas nothing serious replacement bumper but I've got £330 excess to pay. Ouch. I'll check policy wording more carefully next time. What with that and a speeding ticket last time I think I may take the train instead for breaks in future it'll probably work out a good deal cheaper!

At least the car tax is negligible.

8. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Paid the T5's £315 car tax :(
    Ordered S60R clutch kit + input shaft bearing
    Received a quote from a well reviewed body shop to respray the drivers rear
    Looking at refurbishing the wheels too, then I think I'll be happy with it :)

Dropped off girlfriends Clio at lunch to be looked at, few clunking noises coming from under the car but I refuse to work on it anymore, engine bay/everything on that car is a PITA to work on.

9. adam cool dude

Soldato

Missus rang me on break today. Saab has gone up to 315 aswell :(. 4 years ago it was only 280! My insurance quote for this year is £194. In the not too distant future I will be paying double tax over insurance!

10. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Getting ridiculous isn't it. Roads get worse every year yet still we pay more :mad:

IMO, I think it's about time car tax was made mileage based, yes I have a fairly big engine that kicks out more emissions but I only do 4k a year in it. I expect someone doing 10k+ in an eco box chucks out far more pollutants than me and only pays £30 and they wear the roads out faster than me!

11. Simon

Capodecina

Yep. My renewal came through and £555 a year. Bit of a joke considering the duty paid on fuel already @20mpg average

12. FlapR

Hitman

Replaced the Ignition Coils because they looked knackered.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Acme

Caporegime

Seems like an odd thing to do if the car was still running alright. :p

14. FlapR

Hitman

It's having a wobbler at the moment, was getting misfire codes and engine warning light popping up so was hoping changing the coils would sort it. Misfire codes have now gone but its showing fuel pressure errors again so I assume the fuel pump is knackered, which I'm sure Mini will take the absolute **** with even though they're under extended warranty in the US :mad:

15. Acme

Caporegime

Ah right fair enough then haha. From your post I thought you'd just replaced them cos they looked a bit old. :p

16. hux

Wise Guy

Get this, the lh droplink was loose. Numpty didn't double check it no wonder it came on fast.
    Anyway struts are on, just need to tighten everything and top up the gearbox oil.

I did the lh seal, but the rh is too hard. There's no clearance for the driveshaft bush bolts, I'd need a ramp to do it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  17. Acme

Caporegime

Installed new upgraded headlamp units in the MX5. Praise the Lord, I can see!

18. grudas

Capodecina

Lol. Seeing at night is overrated.

19. Acme

Caporegime

Also washed it for the first time since buying it. Its gone from grey back to pink... :p

20. MichaelAwkward

Mobster

New 345mm vented/perforated front discs and pads. Old ones were totally warped to the point you didn't need a gauge to measure it, just a spin of the wheel.