What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Gratz, good feeling isnt it. Yes, you can copper grease the mating surface.

Yes just put a smear of grease on the mating surface and it'll stop them seizing together.

Common problem with these type of nuts, the nut itself is steel and rust overtime until the top cover (which is only there to make the cheap nut look nice) spins on the rusted nut and then your in trouble as they can be a nightmare to get off, usually need drilling or a smaller socket hammering on. Sounds like you've replaced yours just in time.

Thanks, will apply some copper grease. I've now replaced all of the nuts with solid ones. Had to hammer a socket on to three of them. Seems a short sighted way to save money when they probably spend significant extra time dealing with them at service time.

MOT passed.

Caporegime
Slight covering of snow last night, I was greeted heading up the hill to my house by a newish Kia Sportsge sliding sideways down towards me, managed to get into reverse and get out of his way and he eventually hit a parked car, was convinced I was about to have an impact with him, phew.

I then got back up the hill despite fat summer tyres and RWD with no issue!

A couple of centimetres at most on the road and my estate looked like a demolition derby when I walked the woofs, saw six damaged cars during a 25min walk.

Nuts.

Soldato
So today I decided to get around to servicing the 335d. Replacing the redboost pipe as it is known to weep oil past the seals.

The last oil change was in 2017! Long life service plans bah!

So I changed the air filter, oil filter and oil to 5w40 Castrol fst ll04.

Old air filter; last changed in 2017.

476-F4-CF3-DB32-4-F37-BA7-C-20-F8323-AD9-A0.jpg

New air filter:

87-F11-D97-8-E9-E-4903-AA6-B-AEE0-C7-E7-A9-BF.jpg

Whilst the oil was draining I decided to attend the red boost pipe. The upper clip was a little fiddly but once worked out how to remove I managed to do it.

60668-A45-A082-4-C46-8229-CB8-AB23710-AF.jpg

Basically the whole underside was caked in oil. It must have been leaking for a very very long time. I’d hazard a guess around 3 years as the owner before me said it had been replaced by the guy who he bought if off. Highly doubted due to the seals. Must have re used the old ones.

Cleaned up oil filter to best I could:

39319703-EE92-42-D6-BA44-A0-C83920288-E.jpg

I also removed the intercooler, this was gunked up. I was actually thinking it may have a leak due to how it was but it was fine. I cleaned it out, not much oil residue came out. Which I was rather surprised about.

Before clean:

977-B05-EA-D540-4-C3-C-9320-4-EAAB5-A95-DF1.jpg

After clean:

7-D8315-CF-91-C4-4109-851-D-FE8-E07678145.jpg

After I had done this I fitted the mtc pipe red boost pipe. I could have replaced with the old one, I also had new seals. But the mtc one has double seals at turbo end and single at intercooler. It’s also a very tight fit. It’s a little bit of job to fit it properly but I took my time and all was well. I also degreased the whole underside and washed/scrubbed so it was as best as I could get it. This way any new leaks if any at all, do form. I can spot them next weekend.

Comparison of red boost pipes:

59-C40-A7-A-48-CF-453-A-929-A-37-BD1456-DDA3.jpg

Fitted mtc boost pipe:

3-E8-EAE0-B-0476-4-FC9-94-BC-D952-E53-A3855.jpg

Also I fitted a new crankcase vent, I didn’t have to do this as it was pretty much the same part. But I was eager to see if it could be sluged/somewhat blocked by long oil services.

Original:

64-D6-E86-D-29-EA-44-F0-A8-C4-968-BF86-DCAEA.jpg

Febi bilstein part:

F0-AF97-D1-D528-4891-A905-1-EE5-B76-AD462.jpg

Lastly the undertray got a clean and it was fitted with new clips etc, which I don’t have pictures of.

Before:

63-C8803-B-2-CDD-4105-9230-DCED8-DA0-E0-E6.jpg

After:

31-C8-F3-CC-1764-4-B5-A-8-E69-8303-A0355867.jpg

Last bit was a quick wipe over the engine bay.

C241-CE7-C-3584-42-E5-8076-EA316-F9-E4650.jpg

I replaced a few missing engine cover allen head screws and a nut for the airbox. But no nasty surprises which I’m happy about.

Was actually fun to work on, for once.

Soldato
Well considering it’s had many owners in its life it hasn’t seen a hard life mechanically. It just seems to not have been cared for in terms of being kept clean, I don’t think any of the owners have worked on it.

I was expecting loads of nasty surprises as bmws love to leak oil. Seems fine so far so will monitor.

I also need an undertray for the transmission, and possibly one at the diesel fuel filter on the opposite side. I was bidding on one on eBay which I won, but because it sold cheap seller cancelled the sale. Never mind I’ll go to the breakers and get one.

Associate
Finally gave the Mazda3 MPS a clean after 3 months, took it to jet wash to do a quick one, wish I brought a secondary bucket with me to dump the dirt as the water with shampoo was getting filled with the dirt lol...

Soldato
Took it in for the tracking to be adjusted - I'd replaced a track rod end for the MOT last month so it was slightly out. Had an appointment at 9:30am -was told that a member of staff had called in sick so they were a little behind, that the car would be on the ramp within the next 30 mins. No problem, off I went to get a coffee and go for a walk.

Came back an hour later to find that the car was still not on the ramp and the same promise made "Within half an hour". Ended up leaving as I had somewhere to be by 11am. Quite frustrating, as I'm sure that they'd be annoyed if I had shown up late to a pre-booked appointment time. Obviously I know that things can overrun due to unforeseen issues, but even so. I think I'll take my money elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom