1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

Replacement Melett turbo core on my Saab 9-5 Aero as it was starting to get a little smokey. Car seems to have a bit more poke now but might just be placebo. More than likely remap pushed the old one over the edge. TD04 is a lot more fiddly to remove than the CT20B in my Toyota. A lot of bending arms and hands into unatural positions!

2. ahar

Hitman

Spanner check after a track day last week. Good thing too as the bolt on a suspension radius arm had come loose (notorius on Caterhams apparently), though you need to take the seat out to get a hex key on the other side of the bold in the cabin to hold it still while the other side is tightened.

Brake fluid change tonight as its getting a bit spongy.

3. Dis86

Capodecina

Can't be the case. Remaps are only ever good.

4. MouthBoy

Mobster

Had a delivery and so I washed the car for the first time ever with snow foam. I had to cut the wash short as when I got the drying stages the heavens opened but it looks far better none the less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to when I can spend a few hours on it.

5. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

nice !

6. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

The polar range is pretty good. Also been using the polar blast snow foam and found it as good if not better then magnifoam, Valet Pro and other snow foams I've tried.

7. Silent_Scone

Capodecina

Few small parts needed doing. Steering gator, rear diff bushes, transfer case o-ring. Onto mapping soon hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. squerble

Mobster

Had new front brake pads fitting this morning, Ford finally got me the correct jack to fit in my car (it's taken a year of on-off searching), had it washed at a local hand job place, then brought it home to try and find a leak that only appears when it rains sometimes and only when the car lists slightly to the left. Can't find it yet, but will have to keep my eye out as some of the water drips down onto the electronics for the active park module, which for some unknown reason is sat in the boot...

Once I've found that leak and the blingy sequential mirror indicators I want come back in stock I think I'll finally be happy. Car just needs a detail now as it's never had one and the spider webs are starting to show!

9. Will Gill

Don

Tried my hand at paint repair, started with some sanding using a handy local van :D

[​IMG]

10. MrKnifey

Mobster

Sold the M3.. Now I need to replace it with something... £15k budget... hmm

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

:(

I had something like that happen with my truck but fortunately the air spoiler bolted to the bumper took the brunt of it and the dealer actually sorted it cheap!

12. Havana_UK

Mobster

Bugger!

I've got similar damage though not so severe, to the front of mine from where some numpty has scraped around the corner of the bumper :(

13. Maccapacca

Tea

Roof rails, solid aluminium LR parts so come with all the correct bits and not lolLR cost and rear seats fitted so now a van with rear seats. Pretty decent match to the HSE front seats. Windows will never work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rodenal

Capodecina

Service yesterday and a smoke test to try and diagnose a bit of a hesitation the car has had for a while. No leaks and reassuringly consistent compression across all 4 mighty cylinders to rule out anything more serious.

Also been looking at getting a roof rack to carry mine and my oldest daughters bike but as I want aero flush type bars in black they're not particularly to easy to find for my car (out with new that is, but in far too tight to pay £400 for a complete system) even if I buy the components separately

15. Meaker

Mobster

[​IMG]

One engine out :)

16. Agent_Smith357

Wise Guy

Sir I'm going to need to see more pictures of the Chevette please.

17. Flack88

Wise Guy

Put a 3 Gauge pillar pod in my Starlet with only the best Prosport ;):p

[​IMG]

Boost, Oil Temp & Oil Pressure (which is surprisingly accurate) Tbf some people used to slate them back in the day but they are actually very accurate. Still wouldn't trust a cheap Prosport wideband tho.

18. agw_01

Capodecina

Nothing wrong with Prosport gauges. I've used them in my old Rover Turbo and both of my Imprezas.

I did find the boost gauges with the electrical sensors to be a little slower than a mechnical boost gauge though, but for what they cost, they're still really good. I see you went for the peak/warn gauges? The only thing I dislike about them is that disabling the startup beep also disables the warning beeps.

As for me, I replaced the alternator and power steering pump on my MG ZT tonight. The PS pump had a little fluid weep that ended up killing the alternator. I was going to change them this year anyway as at 170k miles, I figured they'd served their time. While it was all apart, I noticed the main engine mount was well past its best, so all 3 mounts were replaced with brand new genuine parts. The amount of work this car has had is ridiculous. I depend on it for work so it has to be reliable, lots of preventative maintenance over the last couple of years. It certainly doesn't drive like a car that's done 170k miles that's for sure.

As long as it carries on behaving, I'll run it to 200k and then probably replace it with a nearly new Octavia VRS estate. I don't necessarily want to change it but I think it'd be nice to get something I can just drive and not have to worry about. I have 2 other cars to keep me busy!

It's been a great car though (if not a bit of a pain in the backside at times with that transverse mounted BMW M47) and so I don't begrudge spending money on the thing to keep it running well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  19. Meaker

Mobster

:p

Same engine will go back in, just with the head given the proper treatment, some slight boring and forged internals popped in.

20. sigma

Suspended

Saudi Quattro as well :eek: Living the life!