1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, 24 Dec 2012.

1. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Disks match Apex at £46 each. No markup as suggested…

2. norm

Soldato

Well not having had the best experiences with garages I'm generally suspicious nowadays. One tried telling me I needed a new slave cylinder and clutch after they changed the front pads and discs because it was losing brake fluid, yet it was discovered during wheel alignment by another firm the brake union was weeping, and the clutch is fine some 40K miles later. Went for an MOT a couple years ago the tester tried claiming the discs were dangerous and the garage quoted to replace them, when I pointed out they were less than 18 months old they changed it to a pass.

Anyway just wanted an idea of what was considered reasonable.

3. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

Updated with Panamericana Grille, quite like the outcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dLockers

Sgarrista

I was tempted to do that on my E43. Bumper off job?

5. Born_2_Kill_83

Underboss

Yeah took the bodyshop a good couple of hours, said it wasn't the easiest job.

6. Viruozzy

Associate

Today I could not find the car keys and drove to work in Uber.

7. Michael Myers

Wise Guy

it was a big day for my Mk2 Golf, had it custom remapped for the first time since i rebuilt the engine in my garage, really happy with the result.

Before the dyno session it was on a generic map and it was not great to drive, part throttle was awful and over boosting. Now it drives great, oem like power delivery but with an extra 60hp

[​IMG]

Stock injectors are pretty maxed out now at 268hp, going to probably call it a day on anymore mods to the car as it struggles for traction with the current wheel / tyre setup.

8. Agent_Smith357

Wise Guy

I bet it was worth the trip down, Bill really knows his stuff.

9. mjt

Capodecina

Going to book a drift training session with the Caterham. Curious as to how well it'll hold up without an LSD, but even on a wet skidpan it'll be tricky to hold a slide?
    Trying to book one at the Nürburgring but there's an error on the web site :mad:

10. Michael Myers

Wise Guy

Yep, i wont bother with a generic map again thats for sure.

11. mrk

Man of Honour

Installed missiles.

[​IMG]

12. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

haha love that !

13. adam cool dude

Capodecina

Tried to save myself some money by changing two CV boots for M.O.T and ended up breaking an ABS sensor because I was rushing and stretched the cable. :o

14. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

whoops ! :(

15. mrk

Man of Honour

Done the exact thing myself lol but with the bolt that holds the ABS sensor to the rear axle. The bolt threaded its head off leaving the new ABS sensor lodged in there. I used industrial glue to hold the sensor onto the remaining bolt remnants. It is an issue now that will be tackled by my garage in some 80k miles when the ABS sensor starts to fail as they all do after that sort of mileage :p

It's secure in there and and free from moisture ingress.

16. Dup

Capodecina

Mondeo bonnet wouldn't close so fitted a new cable, it was one thread away from snapping completely. Phew.

Now to have two new front shocks fitted so it can pass its MOT.

17. Jez

Caporegime

Good quality bolts on these BMWs it seems :p I changed an ABS sensor on my X3 recently, the bolt holding it in rounded its star style head. Ended up having to hammer (with a lot of force!) a bigger star style head into the cheese material bolt. Didnt have another one the same so put it back in, that'll be a nice little present for whoever next needs to change that sensor.

18. mrk

Man of Honour

Remember this was from a time when BMW thought it was a good idea to use bare steel exhaust bracket clamps instead of stainless steel or aluminium, considering the rest of the exhaust is stainless steel it boggles the mind so you ended up with clamps that rusted so much they fused with the flanges so needed to be cut off in extreme examples :p

19. bainbridge

Mobster

Car sailed through the mot, only for the front left brake caliper to start binding the next day! I toyed with the idea a rebuild kit but, to save faffing, just bought a reconditioned caliper.

20. Jester*

Wise Guy

Sold one of them,

[​IMG]

Secondhand prices too strong, MX5 took the fall. Got out of it with pretty low depreciation after 2 years of ownership from brand new.

Will probably replace when the bubble bursts and prices drop back down.