What have you done to your car today?

Private plate fitted.

Good condition for an S reg, mate!

2628FC49-4BA6-4D07-B4E0-B8FE8A9FB75F-1197-00000154C8212CCC.jpg

geekman
get a drill and go from small to big one on them. Thats what i would do.
Next option wheel hub+ 2 discs and get brakes sorted while at it.

ps. Why 2 hell you did nit go to kwik fit or some place after you snaped one off ?? That was very stupid.... now you cant drive it anywhere ...

Looks like plenty of thred left sticking out of those broken bolts.

A few options tbh.

1) use grips/pliers/stud extractor socket to grab and turn them out.

2) Drill through centre with 4/5/6mm drill bit depending on thread size, and smack in an easy out and undo to remove.

) 3 If above doesn't work use larger drill bit upto 10/12/13/14 whatever size thread they are until theres a small amount of thread left and remove with long nose pliers.

4) Pay a mobile mechanic if you can't be arsed.

So annoying. Have you got a plan of attack for round two?

Which ones were seized?

Well... All was going well until I got to the 21mm Nut on the crank pulley. Went to attach my Halfords breaker bar and it doesn't fit behind the ARB.

After a few expletives I start to remove the ARB bolts. Drivers side came out after a bit of fuss, the passengers side (which have naff all clearance from the top) were stuck fast. So with the car parked a few inches from the house on my gravel drive and all the belts off I was stumped as to how I could move the thing so that I could jack it up, remove the under tray and attack it from below.

The plus side was that it gave me a chance to check the condition of the belt and lets put it this way, I'm in no rush to get it done now, the thing looked like new. It must have been done when the last owner picked it up (from a Mazda main dealer) and he only did 7k in it.

So with no other option I just put it all back together fitting my new aux belts in the process.

As for my plan of attack... probably a case of "er... can you fit this lot please" when I take it on for its next MOT :o

So, after doing some more research it looks like the wheel studs I broke will have to be hammered out, which will mean taking apart the wheel hub. I've got a mechanic friend coming on monday to sort it out for me, but it's looking like I'll have to get a whole new hub as the studs are not available separately on the X350 XJ6. Jaguar wanted £250 but I've seen the hubs for £100 so it's not the end of the world, but still an expense I'd rather do without. Here's a couple of pictures of the hub from the internet if anyone wants to agree/disagree with me.

$(KGrHqVHJEwE88eJ2PLSBPSMLV5FKQ~~60_12.JPG

c2d3285l.jpg

Might have broken the BMW. Eek

Took the car out lastnight and the car felt noticably down on power.

I had come to a stop and noticed the exhaust was louder than normal and the idle rougher than usual.

Racked my brain over night to think what it could be and had a quick glance over the car this morning and found a nice oil leak at the front of the block.

Vanos issue. Re seal kit ordered. It seems pretty rare to find the complete internal reseal kit, so ill do that at a later date

Erm why did you keep going after breaking the first stud, you were clearly doing something wrong :p

I had the wheel booked in for a refurb and just wanted to get it down there. I did think of stopping after the first one broke, but I thought in reality there's only one way to take off a wheel nut, and if I'm breaking them I couldn't see what anyone else would do differently.

Also, as the wheel was still on as I was breaking them, I couldn't see behind so I just assumed that if they were broken, I could simply undo them with the locking wheel nut removal kit I've got.

Added a CTEK Comfort Indicator so I can keep an eye on the battery without having to get the CTEK out and plugged in every few days/weeks.

Need some sticky back velcro to keep it in place in the bonnet though.

Either way it didn't matter if you cant buy individual studs.
Which is quite stupid really!

In a way it made me feel better because there was clearly nothing I could have done even if I'd have taken it to kwik fit after breaking the first one. However, it's ridiculous that you can't buy the studs separately - seems like a money making exercise by Jaguar really.

Back
Top Bottom