What have you done to your car today?

Bought quite a few bits to sort out some interior issues on my car this week.

1) Wanted a replacement gear knob top, but they wouldn't sell me it, so I've had to buy a whole new assembly.

2) New steering wheel controls, the volume is broken where I hit it in anger once.

3) New indicator stick with cruise control, CC has never worked but one of the CC controls is broken, so first step is making sure they all work then carry on investigating from there.

4) New Climate control unit for the interior, fan speed buttons were broken by the previous owner, so I'm replacing it.

5) New antenna, originally from Saab they are made from rubber and in the heat it perished and cracked, got out of the car the other day and noticed it was gone with just the antenna sticking out :p - So have bought a plastic one thats painted the right colour so should look better than the original

6) Parking sensor kit - £15 from the bay, and in the right colour...be rude not to.

-----------------

Also aside from that, looking through the receipts a previous owner had an Aux-in kit at some point and its enabled in the audio menus, but he must've taken it with him...bummer, plus side is that if I refit an aux kit I don't need to take it to Saab to get it activated...so found a guide online and have started purchasing the bits to make my own. It will cost me roughly £9 to buy all the parts and about an hours worth of swearing to fit it.

Better than paying £55 for what is effectively a cable from Saab anyway!

So lots happening this weekend with fitting that lot! Also hopefully going to repair the outside temp sensor that the dingbats at Fords broke when it was being repaired from an accident at the start of the year. Hoping its a loose cable or similar.

I wouldn't touch one now.

My Mums '91 214S was excellent at the time. Only think that broke in 9 years was a plastic bit in the gear linkage. Family friend fixed it for a bottle of scotch. Rover were looking shaky and with no new products come replacement time so she took her custom elsewhere...

To be fair the 75 is a great car, and sourcing another for spares is more of a future-proofing exercise than anything else.

One of my injectors misses slightly when cold, DMF is just starting to rattle, and there's some good old expensive BMW sensors dotted around the engine that can and do fail.

Take the bits off use off, put them in a box and sell the rest then cube the car. I come out quids in, issues sorted with a box full of bits. Win win.

There's no doubt the 75 is a good car, just at 12 years old things will break. Worth fixing though, doing 100+ miles a day, 50/50 motorway at 70+ and sitting at around 49mpg. That's with the AC on, not keeping economy in mind. Also with all the extra power it's a nice drive, too.

Rovers really are awful aren't they.

Indeed, so awful. At 155k you'd expect everything to be original, still working fine and without any wear.

Or you could join the real world and see 155k and 12 years of British roads things will need replacing - not to mention of course that most of the important bits are BMW anyway, the brand we all bum so much :)

Got underneath the E34 today, first time underneath one of my own cars... :eek:

Have a question if you guys don't mind? The exhaust was originally a twin pipe but it's been swapped to a single, just underneath the gear stick is where the original two pipes from the engine join to the two from the exhaust which then merges to one before the big box thing (cat?) As you can tell I am an expert in this car mechanics malarkey - but I'm trying to learn :) Would there be any benefit to restoring a twin pipe?

I know it's a hard question without knowing the types of each exhaust etc. but in general would a twin pipe hold an advantage? As it is twin from the engine and then combined into one before the cat thing would that cause any interference?

Yeah sure I'll take one tomorrow :) Although it might be too low for a good look so might have to wait till the weekend to raise it again for a decent pic.

It is a much larger single pipe and merges pretty much straight away after the pipes join. The two pipes are staggered lengths at the join, more secure?

Another question, how the hell do you wash off all this bloody car grease/muck from your hands?! :D

Last edited:
mattyprice4004
Da **** u know about bad roads ??

Few years ago VW had to recall ALL brand new golfs with aluminium wishbones or whatever it was cause it was bending in Poland withing 15 000 miles......

They replace it with steel ones NO ****.
Rover would be *DON'T DISGUISE SWEAR WORDS* after 20k i bet LOL

TBH I dont think any car can handle it besides 4x4s....

Back
Top Bottom