What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Rattle can joys, tbf pearl white from a spray can was never going to turn out great, plus the paint code has always been an issue of being completely off for body shops ive used in the past, so this was more than expected, the actual finish is not bad considering my lack of ability.

sprayed the spoiler struts as the paint had totally given up.
this is what they were like before, having removed all the loose paint prior to sanding.
P8CBGlg.jpg

and a quick comparison to how the paint is wildly off, the pearl is there but its nothing in comparison to the oem paint, which is a bit disappointing as the pearl layer came in its own can so i was hoping it would have had a bit more depth.
T9pop38.jpg

back assembled and its less obvious, certainly an improvement to the flaking paint!
jvoYKWs.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Turning left into a junction, make the turn and this guy runs out from behind the jeep that was waiting to pull out. Ridiculously close, he’s lucky I’ve got some good brakes.

Soldato
Got rear ended. Was on a slip road about to join the A3 when I saw 3 cars ahead at a standstill. I slowed down quite gradually, didn't anchor the brakes on because it was a fairly long slip road, but the car behind me must have been looking to the right so just smacked into me at I assume 40+. Luckily because I always leave good gaps I didn't hit the car in front but my boot now won't close and the inside boot floor is all mangled. Marvellous.

I was doing a job in Crawley today and because I hate Chichester traffic, I went a different way. If only I'd just dealt with the Chichester crap :)

Man of Honour
Went to North Weald for a Drive Limits day. Everything with TC off, so pretty new to me as I only ever have it on TC on or MDM occasionally.

This was the handling circuit at the end. It's more difficult than it looks due to the bumps and changing surface.

Video of me almost spinning.

The best 'sideways' I captured.

Probably my fastest with the back end coming slightly out.

Finally, the view from outside:

I think I managed it much neater with little movement. Entry speed is 80-90 mph before going on the brakes.

Well worth doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gave the underside of my Impreza a good clean - and discovered an issue with the brake lines. This weekends' job.

52143512130_1ccd8022f1_c.jpg

52143041663_154ffd5d52_c.jpg

52143047423_1a0cc6ea41_c.jpg

52143051243_226e7196e4_c.jpg

Fitted a different back box to my BM

52148762126_bf2e12986b_c.jpg

Soldato
Red LED bulbs replacing all interior. Always have my interior lights in red, don't ask why it's because I do... then just checked out some new poly diff bushing kits as I've got a slight knock, after 12 years... they deserve to be put to sleep now and replaced.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Phoned up Caterham Parts and have been told the radiator has been shipped. It's been a month since it dumped coolant on the garage floor and I've had to postpone a drift day twice now so I hope I can get the radiator fitted ASAP as the weather has been awesome as well.
I bet the weather in July will be rain, rain, rain now :(

You'd think that Caterham would fix a radiator leak issue that's been well-known for over a decade judging by the forums... It's a warranty claim but still **** that it's sprung a leak after 2500 miles and then the part being out of stock for the best part of a month :rolleyes:

Don
Updated the software on the Fiesta's stereo (2010 pre sync), to the latest available (November 2012)
Hardest part was finding an old usb 2.0 flash drive it would actually recognise.

With a but of luck might stop the usb playback randomly hanging and needing to keep 2 other flash drives in the car to resolve.

Don
A quick Q for you guys, in your experience how many miles are iridium spark plugs good for?

~50k miles?

Easily - Both platinum and iridium are good for potentially 100k+ depending on the application

Soldato
Easily - Both platinum and iridium are good for potentially 100k+ depending on the application

Great thanks.

is it fit and forget or should they be checked every 15k or so for oil build up /wear?

I take it a non optimal spark plug would reflect in increased fuel consumption?

Associate
Went to North Weald for a Drive Limits day. Everything with TC off, so pretty new to me as I only ever have it on TC on or MDM occasionally.

This was the handling circuit at the end. It's more difficult than it looks due to the bumps and changing surface.

Honestly the best car thing I've ever done :) Unfortunately not a chance the 360 would fit their noise reqs :( Have thought about if I could run it valves closed for each run but they do warn against that at high rpms so probably not the wisest move hence haven't done it.

Did a club day there in my little 182 last time as the Nobles alternator packed in the evening before; second highest corner entry speed of the day vs all the Nobles & up with some of the quickest circuit times too :D a lot to be said for differing levels of mechanical sympathy in ~1k car vs 40x that. I did have 0 brakes left by the end of the day though, I think that means I did it properly?

Don
Great thanks.

is it fit and forget or should they be checked every 15k or so for oil build up /wear?

I take it a non optimal spark plug would reflect in increased fuel consumption?
Fit and forget - unless you notice any poor running / misfires Spark plugs aren't something that you usually take out on a regular basis, unless maybe it's an exotic/tuned car.

Non optimal isn't really a thing, unless it's the incorrect temperature grade for the engine, in which case you would potentially risk pre-ignition and engine damage

Soldato
Fit and forget - unless you notice any poor running / misfires Spark plugs aren't something that you usually take out on a regular basis, unless maybe it's an exotic/tuned car.

Non optimal isn't really a thing, unless it's the incorrect temperature grade for the engine, in which case you would potentially risk pre-ignition and engine damage

Thanks again. Its what I wanted to hear.

Back
Top Bottom