What have you done to your car today?

So I bought myself a Range Rover a few weeks ago, all has been ok up until Tuesday when I encountered my first fault.

Sitting in a car wash, I noticed water dripping in from the windscreen left and right of the rear view mirror.

I headed straight over to the dealers who I bought it from and they recommended I smash or crack the windscreen myself and claim on my insurance to get a replacement sorted, this didn’t sit well with me as I’m not interested in cracking my own windscreen, especially as the car is under warranty.

Had a local company come out this morning who have taken the screen out, reapplied the adhesive, fitted new trim and new wipers all for the costly sum of £125 which I think is a really good price and it supports a local business.

Dealership is due to refund the £125 on Monday.

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, I may be posting in here more than I’d like. :p

So I bought myself a Range Rover a few weeks ago, all has been ok up until Tuesday when I encountered my first fault.

Sitting in a car wash, I noticed water dripping in from the windscreen left and right of the rear view mirror.

I headed straight over to the dealers who I bought it from and they recommended I smash or crack the windscreen myself and claim on my insurance to get a replacement sorted, this didn’t sit well with me as I’m not interested in cracking my own windscreen, especially as the car is under warranty.

Had a local company come out this morning who have taken the screen out, reapplied the adhesive, fitted new trim and new wipers all for the costly sum of £125 which I think is a really good price and it supports a local business.

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, I may be posting in here more than I’d like. :p
Wait until something else breaks, "Just crash it and claim on your insurance..." :cry:

Damn. Name and shame this scummy dealer.

Wtf kind of people do you buy from :cry:

Changed the battery in the 3008SUV.

Now that would be easy on the Focus.. simply Neg then positive, switch batteries and then reverse. No problems.

In the 3008 it has a reputation for power management computer (£340 part) and settings genocide. You need to allow the car to fully power down (4 mins) after switching off the ignition, and not trigger anything (including hiding the key fob away from the car). Then negative and positive and then undo 4 bolts holding on pieces of electronic equipment before attempting to squeeze the 20Kg battery out of the remaining space. Install new battery, then go through a process to reset the BSI..

Car starts, seems to have all the electrics working nicely and moves. Without the "Entering Eco Mode" flashing up every time.

Last edited:

Shame he didn’t add on a bunch of Dealer tax to the invoice, see how they like it :D

Washed it. Badly.

Turns out washing a normal sized car is much more work than a Smart :p used 3 buckets for a half time refresh on the rinse bucket. Just makes me even more impatient to get an outdoor tap and hose fitted.

Sadly was almost dark when I finished so can't even see how many spots I missed. There is a bush in my front garden, and it is full of spiders, and its days are numbered...

Last edited:
Fitted new brake pads to the wife's car.
She said there's a funny scraping noise so I took it for a spin, scraping noise every press of the brakes.

I'll just say she got her moneys worth from them :eek:

Had someone reverse into the side of my car earlier. It's the rear panel and a bit of the door... Not sure if the wheel is okay or not as I've not tried driving it.

Any ideas if this is even fixable, or would it be too much work and a write off? It's a CLK.

IMG-20230909-151839.jpg

:(

Definitely fixable, probably a write off if its an older CLK. :(

Most financially sensible path for older vehicles (unless perhaps for rare or collectible ones) is usually to let the insurance company write it off, pay you the few grand, and then buy the "scrap" (i.e the car) back from them for £100~ and then have it repaired privately.

You usually come out of it with some extra money in your pocket and a CAT D N marker.

It looks like you might be able to pop the dent out from the inside if there is access though? And then you just have the scrape and the door ding to contend with.

Last edited:
Thank you. Damn, what a pain. If it is a write off, I'll likely just buy another one. They're pretty cheap these days. That's if I don't get shafted with a low pay out...

I've had a few people scrape it and drive off in the past year. I'm thankful this person went knocking on doors to find me rather than disappearing like the others!

Thank you. Damn, what a pain. If it is a write off, I'll likely just buy another one. They're pretty cheap these days. That's if I don't get shafted with a low pay out...

I've had a few people scrape it and drive off in the past year. I'm thankful this person went knocking on doors to find me rather than disappearing like the others!

When my Dads 2001 A6 Avant got rear ended (lightly) in 2015, he got a payout of £1800, bought the car back from the insurance company for £112, and fixed the damage himself (beating the boot floor back to square again and fitting a new bumper cover) so he came out of it quite well. (something like £1500 profit and his car back looking how it did to begin with! :p)

If you have the opportunity to do similar, that's what I would do. Even if you decide not to keep the car, you will at least still have it to sell on to make a bit more additional money on top of the payout. :)

See what options insurance gives. To my eye it doesn't look too challenging to repair... Someone might be able to pull the majority of it out.

Last edited:
Turns out washing a normal sized car is much more work than a Smart :p used 3 buckets for a half time refresh on the rinse bucket. Just makes me even more impatient to get an outdoor tap and hose fitted.

washed mine 2 days ago(before sun came out)
even though have an outdoor tap, doesn't everyone use warm/hot water on a bucket wash - like washing the dishes I think it help removes the dirt with less effort (foam system never has that heat benefit)
3touring - I often wash a few house front windows with the top suds initially (using body cloth), and after doing blades/wheel arches with the other dirty cloth, usually have some left for UPVC front door, with a 2nd tepid/cold bucket then for rinse,
also, first time ever, scrubbed the tyre wall, before using a paint brush to apply some sonax stuff

main problem with the bucket is you know one day you could trip or bucket handle goes getting out of house.

Changed all* light bulbs in both rear clusters whilst trying to track down a random and intermittent bulb warning light on the Mini.

*(Didn't change the indicator bulbs in the end as the woman in ECP gave me orange bulbs despite me telling her they were definitely clear ones needed)

Found the cause of the problem though - one of the round bulb holders that twist into the backplate only had probably a quarter of the metal contact remaining. Ordered a used replacement - £14.45!!!
BMW - Bring My Wallet :D

Oil change, noticed the CV boot is trashed when I was under though :( It's chucked the grease everywhere. Don't fancy taking the hub apart to fit a proper new boot, so going to try one of these split boots you glue together.

Back
Top Bottom