What have you done to your car today?

Changed all* light bulbs in both rear clusters whilst trying to track down a random and intermittent bulb warning light on the Mini.

*(Didn't change the indicator bulbs in the end as the woman in ECP gave me orange bulbs despite me telling her they were definitely clear ones needed)

Found the cause of the problem though - one of the round bulb holders that twist into the backplate only had probably a quarter of the metal contact remaining. Ordered a used replacement - £14.45!!!
BMW - Bring My Wallet :D

Bulb holder arrived earlier in the week, so got round to replacing this weekend

Sn1QzIgl.jpg

Today I jacked my brand new cupra leon up and removed the shipping pucks that the idiot dealer had left in the suspension shocks. Honestly why are all main dealers just impossibly useless at everything? It's insane.

Dropped my car off at Toyota today to have a minor but annoying issue with the window switch looked at. The one-touch up function only worked when the window wasn't fully down. Expected to drop it off and be without it while they took a day to confirm it was broken then order a new switch...pleasantly surprised to get a call in the afternoon telling me it was ready to collect and had been fixed with a reset of the window control module or something.

Now that's sorted, it means I can take off the door cards to fit the auto fold mirror module which has been sitting on my desk for a month, and the set of Focal speakers which should be arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dropped my car off at Toyota today to have a minor but annoying issue with the window switch looked at. The one-touch up function only worked when the window wasn't fully down. Expected to drop it off and be without it while they took a day to confirm it was broken then order a new switch...pleasantly surprised to get a call in the afternoon telling me it was ready to collect and had been fixed with a reset of the window control module or something.
Had that plenty when I worked at a Toyota dealer.
You just hold down the window switch until you hear a click, then do the same upwards and it’s reset.
Not just Toyotas it works on.

Had that plenty when I worked at a Toyota dealer.
You just hold down the window switch until you hear a click, then do the same upwards and it’s reset.
Not just Toyotas it works on.
I don't think it was that. I know the fix you mean, I think it's even listed in the manual, and I used to have to do the same with the previous gen if the frameless windows got stuck in cold or frosty weather. That was the first thing I tried, but it didn't sort it this time.
Unless it was a variation on that and I just didn't do it quite right.

Working great now though. Which meant yesterday I did the following:
- New Focal speaker set: great plug and play improvement for relatively cheap. Same speakers I had in the new car, they fir the new gen as well. Wish I hadn't sold the previous set with the old car now, but never mind :D
- Installed an auto folding door mirror module from Trac, to sort one of my biggest annoyances with the car. The mirrors now fold automatically when the car locks, and unfold on unlock.
- Fitted a Cusco pedal extender.

Also discovered a scuff on one wheel. I'm not certain how it came about, and I actually suspect it might have happened at the dealer. But I stupidly didn't check when picking up the car, so probably wouldn't have much luck going back to pin the blame on them now. It's only a minor kerb mark so I'm going to go to one of the well rated local refurb places to see if it can be smart repaired.

Car went into the garage today. Got the rear shocks replaced as well as the front. Got the brakes sorted out due to rubbing. And also got four new center caps - edit - reason for that is the wheels need to come off

Last edited:
Got the Cedric home, all ready for reg. MOT passed, no issues, serviced etc. Super clean underneath. Dreaded the paperwork as usual but only took 20mins to get it all in order, now in the hands of the DVLA gods.

Drives so well. Smoother than expected although not had much time. Very S Class in terms of noise, ride etc. I wasnt expecting it to be so nice.

Annoying noise on right front on the 440i.
Wasn't sure if shock absorber or the top mount.
Found a new genuine top mount on ebay for £30 less than dealer.
Found a new Adaptive shock absorber from a Chinese seller on ebay for £180 cheaper than other brands. Felt too good to be true, but worth a punt.
Turned out to be an ABRacing.com shock absorber, quick message to them and yup it's a genuine reconditioned shock absorber... they blast them, refill, renew valves.. then paint... end up pretty much new...

Got them put on the car and the noise has gone. Thank god for that.

I'll do the other side in a month or so, so they match.

I had a bit of a day with our cars.

Mrs car has MOT due so the plan was to inspect her car. However, when we were moving the cars around to get hers closer to the garage, I realised my car had a flat tyre.

I reinflated it but it deflated too quickly to drive to the local Kwik fit, so I removed the wheel, took it there in her car and left it with them.

They rang to say the sidewall was damaged by driving it flat (all I'd done was about 30 metres moving the cars around), so I ended up removing my other back wheel and taking it to them to get them both replaced on the same axle. My mx5 handles terribly if the wheels aren't exactly the same size on the same axle. The only silver lining was that the rears were getting low and down to about 3mm, so I'm glad it was a rear that got punctured, rather than one of the fronts which were only changed in the spring.

Anyway, I got home (£255 lighter), replaced my rear wheels and got to turn my attention back to her car. Before putting her umpteen shopping bags back in the boot I decided to check the spare tyre while the boot was empty, and was shocked to see the spare sitting in 3 inches of water in the spare wheel well! The previously brand new looking spare wheel, jack and wheel brace were now starting to rust.

After emptying the wheel well and drying it, there was no clear sign of water ingress. The other boot carpeting was bone dry, so could only assume it was coming up from below. There's 4-5 plastic plugs in the base of the wheel well, presumably plugging up some holes, so I figured one or two of them might have withered and started leaking. I smeared a big bead of bathroom silicone around every plastic plug thing, and hopefully this stops the leak.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom