What have you done to your car today?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Edit*

Actually that won't be necessary since the garage had them off anyway to change the driveshafts the other day so I know the pad sensors are both working just fine!

Last edited:
Associate
Noticed a slight knocking noise on uneven roads, fine when cornering; handling didn't appear affected.
16 plate, 45k miles.

Acquired droplinks from Halfords, 1/2 price vs ECP (same part numbers).
Fitted Saturday, all good now.

Also rotated the Mich PS5's from front to rear axle and then had the cracking PS4's (unfortunate as still had 4mm tread left) from the rears replaced with PS5's.
The tyre dealership must have had both wheels off at the same time and fitted the front wheels inversely as my PSI values were back to front, thankfully was able to retrain it myself.

Associate
Went to change front pads on the wife's Mokka last night and found that the ones Halfords supplied were not the right ones :mad: All refunded ok, but it seems that there are several different ones for that model. Annoying, as I took the original ones in with me when I went to order them!

Soldato
Time for repairs and a "shadow chrome" finish... on the 350Z wheels... stripped and being treated... hopefully complete in the next day or two!

2YxSmE1.jpg

JhhqPPK.jpg

EJ3uhtg.jpg

5h4LUw5.jpg

Soldato
Noticed a slight knocking noise on uneven roads, fine when cornering; handling didn't appear affected.
16 plate, 45k miles.

Acquired droplinks from Halfords, 1/2 price vs ECP (same part numbers).
Fitted Saturday, all good now.

Also rotated the Mich PS5's from front to rear axle and then had the cracking PS4's (unfortunate as still had 4mm tread left) from the rears replaced with PS5's.
The tyre dealership must have had both wheels off at the same time and fitted the front wheels inversely as my PSI values were back to front, thankfully was able to retrain it myself.

Sounds like you've put the worn tyres on the rear and the new ones on the front? That's actually the wrong way round, the new ones should be at the back.

Soldato
All finished... lovely stuff...

Stripped back to metal using the latest Environmental friendlier Stripping system
Fully steam cleaned
Gently Surface blasted
Fatigue treatment to slow down the corrosion.
Cnc lathed to remove kerb damage
Fully steam cleaned and left to cool down
Heat treatment cycle
De gassing stages
Powder coat primer ( epoxy )
Painted in the factory colour ( water )
Powder coat lacquered ( Acrylic )
Oven baked and left to cool down
Apply ceramic coatings for extra protection and easy maintenance.
Tyres re fitted and re balanced using Hoffmann OE powder coated weights.

5CogXzb.jpg

xWphbV4.jpg

rWGHemO.jpg

bSNXeNx.jpg

5hzVY8Y.jpg

Fkdc8PH.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
hahaha yeah always said ugly with roof up epic with it down... unfortunately it's so wet here today...
You can say that again... Concerned I'm going to get home and find my soft top soaked through and leaking into the cabin.

Already got a leaky window seal and now water coming in through the blower inlet on passenger side!

Soldato
On the subject of wheels. I pretty badly curbed my nearside rear earlier :mad:
Coming into a car park I just nicked what looks like remains of an old wall just sticking up about a brick's height from the road.. FFS.

Last edited:
Associate
Obvious logic. You trying the aquaplane ?
Hmmm, I had to google it but it does make sense.

The tyres on the other axle was done only 9 months ago, <2000 miles so shouldn't be a huge disparity in wear.
but arguably I've wasted time rotating them, never mind!

Caporegime
Yeh it also helps keep them fresh but as you say won’t be that different.

Just avoids those 2mm 50k 8yr old rear tyres matched with brand new fronts.

Soldato
My car is FWD.
What is your logic for putting new tyres on the rear?

Tyres are easy.
RWD new tyres go on the rear
FWD new tyres go on the rear
Wider tyres at the rear and new fronts, think about changing the rears as well.

As to the logic to this, think what happens if you enter a wet corner and have to lift off. Those nice new fronts will grip, those worn rears won't, car snaps into oversteer which you have no chance to react to before you exit the road sideways and hopefully aren't stopped by a tree.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
EG8isy2.jpeg

The passenger seatbelt bit rubbing against the centre tunnel trim has scratched it over the years and it got annoying, so applied a sticky back felt strip to cover it up and prevent further escalation.

All finished... lovely stuff...

Stripped back to metal using the latest Environmental friendlier Stripping system
Fully steam cleaned
Gently Surface blasted
Fatigue treatment to slow down the corrosion.
Cnc lathed to remove kerb damage
Fully steam cleaned and left to cool down
Heat treatment cycle
De gassing stages
Powder coat primer ( epoxy )
Painted in the factory colour ( water )
Powder coat lacquered ( Acrylic )
Oven baked and left to cool down
Apply ceramic coatings for extra protection and easy maintenance.
Tyres re fitted and re balanced using Hoffmann OE powder coated weights.

5CogXzb.jpg

Next to do, headlight lens restoration? :D

Last edited:
Associate
New O/S rear brake caliper on the GTI as the old one had seized and new Speed Sensor on the N/S rear that was throwing up ABS, Stability, ACC and more errors. Just a Coolant leak now to diagnose, luckily not water pump as that would be the 5th one.

Back
Top Bottom