What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
A bunch of people complimented the E30 when I went to Tesco earlier, saying its cool, awesome, don't see many of them, all that stuff.
It was nice. It has been a while since someone said something about it in public. And i've been feeling a little low, so it was a good pick-me-up!

New battery coming for it in a few days! Old one is cooked. I had to jump start it in front of the people who complimented it. :D

Went for a Yuasa 3000 this time. They are the ones Halfords re-brand as their own (not the "essentials" ones, the full fat ones)

It was a little more expensive than the Exide Platinum it is replacing, but it has a bit more capacity and I've heard better things about Yuasa than Exide, so I thought I may as well spend the extra £8.

Used Yuasa a few times and not had any problems.

I was quoted £200 for the part only for a new battery in my Q7 and labour would have been a fair bit because you effectively had to remove the passenger seat. 80 quid for one of these batteries and a bit of googling and the job was done.

Man of Honour
Got my claim settlement figure for it after my insurer decide it was a write-off. Had to haggle a bit to get value of what I paid for car only a month ago but minus my excess. Is it possible to claim it back even if I'm not at fault? Otherwise I'm quite a bit out of pocket through no fault of my own. Never been in this situation before.

Now to decide what to get for next car. No idea how I'm going to do the 30 mile journey to work without a car yet as no doubt will be needing to give the courtesy car back very soon.
If you're found not at fault then you shouldn't have to pay your excess.

Reactions: maj

maj

maj

Soldato
If you're found not at fault then you shouldn't have to pay your excess.

If they are still deciding fault then your excess will be returned (probably as a cheque) when they eventually settle, assuming they decide you aren't at fault.
Thanks both. Having done some more research it does look to be the case that I'll get the money back, or at least hopefully.

Can't see how other party can't admit fault but who knows. My insurer hasn't confirmed they've admitted liability yet.

Caporegime
Used Yuasa a few times and not had any problems.

I was quoted £200 for the part only for a new battery in my Q7 and labour would have been a fair bit because you effectively had to remove the passenger seat. 80 quid for one of these batteries and a bit of googling and the job was done.
Ooft. Fortunately with the E30 its just one bolt, and undo the terminals, pop it out, pop the new one in :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Done the seatbelt release button with Carpro Perl, not a bad result. Applied with 70/30 dilution

N7zzcLk.jpeg

6ILRxOB.jpeg

Heat gun did not do anything, felt like the button was going to melt it got so hot but didn't change the fade at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Oil change & spark plugs for the Jazz. Irritating you need to dismantle most of the windscreen cowl to get to them but got there in the end.

Was planning to do the gearbox oil too but not man enough to undo the drain plug!

Soldato
Bought a Suzuki Carry the other day, so took the false floor out to give a smidge more room and went down to the tyre place to get a new set on the steelies and replace the MX5 wheels that were on there.

Soldato
Yesterday put the passenger seat back in, reconnected all the SRS gubbins so the light went out. Refitted the oil filler neck with a new seal, tested everything for MOT. Just need to bolt the battery back in.

MOT is 1.15pm tomorrow and the car's not had a good run since September :eek:

Soldato
Oil change & spark plugs for the Jazz. Irritating you need to dismantle most of the windscreen cowl to get to them but got there in the end.

Was planning to do the gearbox oil too but not man enough to undo the drain plug!
I feel your pain. I had similar fun doing sparks on the Mustang. Part of the cowl and the entire battery side needs to be dismantled.

Battery-Parts.jpg

Cavity1.jpg

Bingo! :cool:
Cavity2.jpg

Reactions: mrk
Associate
You don't get the luxury of engine bay space these days. Back when my partner had an old Rover 216 you could have the plugs out and swapped over in 15 mins tops!

Man of Honour
Could be worse! I once re-cut my wheels and within 20 mins of leaving FA Wheels, kerbed a wheel parking up because I felt the need for a burger!
Ooft, I hope it was a good burger at least!

On a similar note you can all await the almost inevitable "they damaged my wheels" post tomorrow afternoon as they're currently pristine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's it dropped off for MOT tomorrow lunchtime... Noticed 2 issues on the drive over. Flickering headlight and rubbing brake.

Can't remember being this nervous about an MOT! Car has been off the road since September. Driveway looks empty :(

Caporegime
Swedish build quality seemed to have failed me this morning, I'm stopped at the side of the road with my truck supposedly overheating...

I've just knocked the ignition back on after well over an hour with the engine off and it's still reading high on the temperature display along with these warning messages.

A bit of investigation and it turns out my "Swedish" truck was actually built in France, what's the betting it's just some dodgy sensor?

French electrics at their finest. :rolleyes: :D
IwnXATy.jpeg

KGDCt7r.jpeg

ypVXfAe.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom