What have you done to your car today?

Fair comment. It's a stretch of road 5 lanes wide counting both carriage ways and 1 am I wouldn't have tried carrying so much speed if it was a time of day i knew there would be traffic, I wanted to drive on its limit so I knew where the limit was. Admittedly not the ideal thing to be doing but it's better finding out in a situation like above that on a busy stretch of road

5 lanes wide? What an odd road.

Who doesn't have an umbrella in the boot :p

I'm trying to find a source to get the genuine M3 branded mats. They were only standard on USA M3s up to 2004 it seems and briefly supplied on CSLs.

I've found a couple but as you'd expect, they're made for left hand drive cars...

New windscreen!

rps20150107_164946_745.jpg

Tried to drive it, clutch died mysteriously overnight on my driveway.

Sure it's clutch and not slave cylinder issue? They get messed sometimes by garages taking the box off and refitting them... So if you've ever had the box out for an lsd or something and its failed some time later the seals on the slave cylinder are probably gone...

Sure it's clutch and not slave cylinder issue? They get messed sometimes by garages taking the box off and refitting them... So if you've ever had the box out for an lsd or something and its failed some time later the seals on the slave cylinder are probably gone...

Yeah I'm pretty certain it's the slave cylinder after doing some research, it's going in tomorrow for full clutch replacement though for peace of mind since it's done 70k.

Sort of glad it's gone since at least I now know it's got a brand new clutch which won't let me down for probably rest of my ownership and it'll save me a bit of money when the LSD goes in later this year :)

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty certain it's the slave cylinder after doing some research, it's going in tomorrow for full clutch replacement though for peace of mind since it's done 70k.

Sort of glad it's gone since at least I now know it's got a brand new clutch which won't let me down for probably rest of my ownership and it'll save me a bit of money when the LSD goes in later this year :)

I was told that it's really best to replace the slave cylinder every time you have the box off on these, it's a concentric design inside the gearbox bellhousing, so if it fails it's a box off job to replace every time with the resultant high labour costs :(

The problem is apparently when splitting the box from the engine or refitting it, if it gets misaligned or wiggled about too much whilst removing or refitting it pulls against the slave and damages the seals. Some miles later they split and it leaks hydraulic fluid or no longer maintains a sealed system an air gets in... You start off getting a floppy pedal and a clutch that doesn't work, but if you pump it lots you can sometimes get enough pressure back to operate the clutch but it's not fun to drive like this! And sometimes bleeding the system helps it for a while.

Basically though I'd budget for replacing the clutch slave cylinder again when you upgrade the diff, in the scheme of things it's better than possibly having to pay to get the gearbox off yet again if it's damaged when you remove the gearbox for the LSD install.

I speak from experience... Jamsport fitted an itb lsd to my old ST, along with a helix organic clutch (hateful thing by the way, don't get one), I kept the slave cylinder the car went in with and it failed on me shortly after for the reasons mentioned above so I had to have the gearbox off the car again to replace it. The clutch plate was also apparently contaminated by the fluid that leaked and seemed to have worn really quick, as when the slave was on its way out the clutch was dragging too so I had to shell out for a new clutch twice plus the associated labour again :(

Most modern(ish) cars it's best to do the concentric slave cylinder when you do the clutch as said above. In fact most clutch kits will include one as a matter of course ;)

These arrived today:
hid1.jpg

The headlights on my XF are pretty poor on standard bulbs, and the top of the range bulbs which make them acceptable keep blowing every 6 months, so I decided to try another route.
Will get around to fitting them tonight I hope (weather permitting!)

Back
Top Bottom