What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Strictly speaking not today.. but fitted a green DTUK green box to 1.9CDTi 150bhp Mk5 Astra last week.

Got it set to 7 on the 1-16 scale (1-9 then A-F). Previous owner had it set to A (10)
Noticeably more responsive at lower RPM and transforms the car at higher RPM.
Appears to be yielding about 5%-10% more MPG but will know after a couple of full fill ups.

I'm conscious this might be straining the gearbox/clutch a bit more than it would standard but only paid £55 for it so can break even easily if i decide to sell it.

Soldato
At least that will handle it! How much should it have cost if you know?

I've had a rebuild on my M32 at 64k or so and I'm still paranoid at a slight noise in 5th and 6th at certain speeds. Not the same noise as I was getting when I had play in the stick though. I'm on 82k now so hopefully I'll get another 64k out of it. I plan on getting a remap in the future to royally **** the gearbox just to make sure I'll get moneys worht out of a rebuild.

Lets be friends? :p

temporary_zps7336424f.jpg

Associate
Hehe, we could maybe have a Vauxhall thread but that might get frowned upon on these forums :p.

DMF replacement and the work on the clutch I'm told should have cost around £400 for parts/labour as the gearbox has to be removed to access it.
The green dtuk tuning box typically go for £90~ on the bay second hand, or £280 new. There are cheaper knock off brands available but I was a little skeptical.

Looks like a tidy example you have, I have an 2007 door variant, handy for the job that I do but no frigging cup holders! first world problems...
detail.png

Touch wood, other than tyres, fog lamp I've had two coil springs fail & one wheel bearing from 25,000 miles of ownership.
Perhaps i should have queried a rebuild when they had the gearbox out for DMF/clutch replacement.. Nevermind, no symptoms to report yet.

Soldato
Hehe, we could maybe have a Vauxhall thread but that might get frowned upon on these forums :p.

DMF replacement and the work on the clutch I'm told should have cost around £400 for parts/labour as the gearbox has to be removed to access it.
The green dtuk tuning box typically go for £90~ on the bay second hand, or £280 new. There are cheaper knock off brands available but I was a little skeptical.

Looks like a tidy example you have, I have an 2007 door variant, handy for the job that I do but no frigging cup holders! first world problems...
detail.png

Touch wood, other than tyres, fog lamp I've had two coil springs fail & one wheel bearing from 25,000 miles of ownership.
Perhaps i should have queried a rebuild when they had the gearbox out for DMF/clutch replacement.. Nevermind, no symptoms to report yet.

Can't have that sort of thread on here! I always said to my mate, who drives a 1.4 sport hatch, that I'd never buy an astra....then bought one after looking at a couple of 1.8 vvt and then a clapped out 1.6t. I think your 1.9 should be as quick my petrol, quicker now with the DTUK I guess.

My gearbox rebuild was done by the place I bought it as I noticed it within less than a month. A mechanic who uses my shop says he'd take £100 for taking a box in and out and knows a good guy so that's my next port of call when it goes.

It got new rear discs/pads when I bought it, I've serviced it, fitted a full set of F1 AS2 to it and changed drop links. The guy with the 1.4 drove it earlier and suggested I'm just paranoid as it feels tight as anything to drive. Next up is the cambelt as I'm not leaving it to 100k and then clutch/DMF when it goes.

I'll end on....WTF no cup holders(one useless one) and no arm rest!

Soldato
late in the day but I've just checked out the damage caused by some stupid b**ch pushing her bike out into the road as my wife drove past in my car :( fortunately its mostly to the side skirt so at least wont rust, she turned around and shouted at them but bloody kids eh, I told her she was stupid to get out and even do that in this day and age....... oh the joys

Caporegime
Pics of the interior post-fiddling.

The self re-trimmed steering wheel is fine apart from where it wont go around the spokes properly, but for £15 for the leather I'll live with it.

Aside from that I have a new airbag with a nicer finish to it to match the new leather, as well as a black & silver logo instead of the blue & white one, vinyl wrapped the steering wheel spokes, a new leather gearstick gaiter, new heater knobs, and chrome dial trims.

First pic is a before:
[spoiler
npUlSHp.jpg
OR0hez8.jpg
CmZHgfx.jpg
MxfPNEY.jpg
r0dqC56.jpg
[/spoiler]

I also put a big dent in the corner of my bonnet today, because I am an utter utter plank. That combined with the metric **** tonne of deep scratches, unpainted parts, and bad touch up jobs, means that I am getting a new bonnet soon. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If I was concerned about fast 0-62 etc I'd buy a Focus ST/RS. I wanted a car that's fun to drive every day and this delivers smiles by the bucket full :)

But you take it on track? Not that they are directly related, not that I'm saying you need to test how fast it is, just surprises me you take it on track but don't care about speed?

Soldato
But you take it on track? Not that they are directly related, not that I'm saying you need to test how fast it is, just surprises me you take it on track but don't care about speed?

Generally, track driving isn't about straight line or 0-60 speeds though? I'd be far more concerned about the handling than overall speed on a track.

Soldato
Yeah of course, you've even quoted me saying they aren't directly related.

I've done track on my bikes and it's about how you take corners and such, trying to be smooth, but you want the speed too. :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Did the front pads on my mums Jazz last night and discovered whoever fitted the discs previously had snapped all the bolts holding them in place.

Now it must have been like this a long time and it's been fine. I've put back together with new pads and it all works however I cant help but feel a little uneasy letting her drive it knowing the issue even though its been fine all this time. I'd have to get a garage to sort it as I don't have the right kit nor patience, what do you guys think?

Caporegime
Did the front pads on my mums Jazz last night and discovered whoever fitted the discs previously had snapped all the bolts holding them in place.

Now it must have been like this a long time and it's been fine. I've put back together with new pads and it all works however I cant help but feel a little uneasy letting her drive it knowing the issue even though its been fine all this time. I'd have to get a garage to sort it as I don't have the right kit nor patience, what do you guys think?

Wouldn't think twice about it, the little bolts / screws holding the disc to the hub face are almost pointless once you bolt the wheel on.

Soldato
Speed into / out of corners is a very different thing to the 0-60 time though...that's more what I was going with.

I understand that. As I said, it's just surprising that someone that likes track, isn't interested in Santa Pod. A little like if someone likes... I don't know 'Breaking Bad' but doesn't like 'Better Call Saul'. They're different shows, it's not mandatory to like them both, but often someone that likes one, will like the other... hence my surprise was all. Not trying to compare the two directly. (Maybe those two TV shows are actually too similar, maybe 'Modern Family' and 'New Girl' or something)

Soldato

Unless the wheel plans on coming off you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom