What have you done to your car today?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
"Can you inflate my tyres for me after work?"

"Sure, just leave me your key so I can run the compressor from your car"

Did she leave me the keys? Did she ****.

1A8Wia9.jpg

Soldato
Grrr.

Yesterday, the car went in to a local garage for a full service, timing belt & water pump change.
They seemingly did a good job, no problems, and decent price.

Worked fine this morning, this afternoon on starting the car, ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT comes on the screen. I turned the car off, restarted it and no sign of the message.
I wonder what they've done..

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Bored this evening so started prepping my rear window switches for one touch power up (they already power down). Turns out BMW are sneaky, the rubber dome switches are one touch enabled by default on the coupe/cabrio, it's the housing that has a plastic trim bit blocking the one touch power up function. Simply chiselling that bit of plastic away so it's flat enables power up.

A26A3778.jpg

Now all that's left is to code the power window function. A number of ways to do this but am in no rush just yet so will spend some time weighing in pros/cons of each.

one thing I do want to get done sooner is one touch roof up/down, at the moment you have to hold the button to open/close the roof either from the cabin switch or the key fob which isn't always convenient. A module can be bought for this (£80) or I can overhaul the alarm system which adds keyless entry, long range warning and control/configuration of what you want to open/close with one touch.

Last edited:
Soldato
GEM unit come. Everything is now working :)

Except for the security system and key fob. (Obviously needs to be programmed) which I'll get done later.

Jobs a good n.

Cost £24 and a few beers :)

Lesson learned this week. Don't jump newish cars...

Christ, this is why I didn't jump mine and simply fit a fresh battery as it does stand about a bit. I read somewhere someone did similar and it ran in the 1000s to sort :o

Soldato
I've had a noisy radiator fan pretty much since I bought my car and have just ignored it but lately it's been sounding horrible and not actually been cooling the car all that well, so...

0e20debc187b49dc720a9a458eba653f.jpg

Top left is a second hand replacement before I swapped out the old one, this is how the old one sounds...

Associate
Cleaned, polished and took photos of the S2000 ready to advertise it for sale. The sunshine is putting me off doing so though :) Also the fact I lost the locking wheel nut key in the garage somewhere so couldn't actually get the wheels off to clean them properly :(

Soldato
GEM unit popped again :rolleyes:

Was just a coincidence that it happened just after I jumped it the last time.

I used the car yesterday and put the drivers window fully down , trying to put it back up it was stuck. Then the electrics went mental again (gem blown)

Mrs 'now' remembers putting the window down and it getting stuck and doing the same thing the last time it blew.

So door cards off, checking all wires and they seem fine. Manually put the window up and down and when I start to put the window half way down you can see the wiring loom being dragged.

This car had a new window regulator fitted by ford garage just before we bought it. (2 days before with receipt)

Who ever has fitted it is a complete donkey *******. They have got the loom in the door tangled in the regulator causing the wires to be pulled (up/down switch, motor and one of sockets on the GEM)

Just lucky that I was in the car this time to see how it happened. Pain in the arse but at least I know what the actual problem is now.

Soldato
Replaced the left rear ABS sensor wiring loom which had snapped at a common weak point (just above the exhaust heatshield where it rubs). Ford wanted over £200 inc fitting but I'm an ex-aircraft sparky so I made my own loom, re-terminated the existing plugs at both ends and re-routed it with extra protection just to be sure and all for the cost of a couple of pints for the local garage owner as thanks for letting me use his ramp. Only took 5 minutes to replace and about 30mins to make the loom.

Then I had it MOT'd and it flew through with no advisories which isn't bad for 187500 miles!

Soldato
GEM unit popped again :rolleyes:

Was just a coincidence that it happened just after I jumped it the last time.

I used the car yesterday and put the drivers window fully down , trying to put it back up it was stuck. Then the electrics went mental again (gem blown)

Mrs 'now' remembers putting the window down and it getting stuck and doing the same thing the last time it blew.

So door cards off, checking all wires and they seem fine. Manually put the window up and down and when I start to put the window half way down you can see the wiring loom being dragged.

This car had a new window regulator fitted by ford garage just before we bought it. (2 days before with receipt)

Who ever has fitted it is a complete donkey *******. They have got the loom in the door tangled in the regulator causing the wires to be pulled (up/down switch, motor and one of sockets on the GEM)

Just lucky that I was in the car this time to see how it happened. Pain in the arse but at least I know what the actual problem is now.

At least you know how to fix it and don't have to try and trace some deep-rooted electrical issue! :)

Back
Top Bottom