What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Only trouble with that method is it's very temporary, you have now removed any UV protection the lenses had, in a few months they will be back to how they were before unless you get them UV protected again.

Soldato
Need to do similar with my e39, is it a similar process anybody?

I will be doing my e39 soon so I will let you know how it goes! :)

Only trouble with that method is it's very temporary, you have now removed any UV protection the lenses had, in a few months they will be back to how they were before unless you get them UV protected again.

I was hoping carnauba wax or something might work, but your right something with a UV resistant coating would be much better.

That's much better then I managed, great work. What compound did you use if you don't mind me asking.

Thank you very much. :) Of course not, I used Auto Finesse triple which worked a lot better than I anticipated.

Edit: apologies it was not AF triple it was the revitalise with the 3 stage compounds and polish, sorry about that! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Killed two, now back to the old faithful stock s14 t28. The performance is a bit lacklustre but this one served me well for the longest time. Tbh I think both of the bb turbos I had were on their last legs. The last one had made a whining noise ever since I put it on and it definitely wasn't a leak. It had had a billet compressor put in it but you can't rebuild the bb core so who knows how old it was. They don't seem to be too durable to me, seems like a 60k mile part.

Ouch, lots of expense and frustration there.

What are you going to do next, just save up and buy something new with warranty and get the install checked over (oil feed/restrictor etc)?

Soldato
I had all brand new lines on it not long ago, the oil flow was good and the 0.040 restrictor cured the smoke I had when running without one. It failed exactly the same way the previous t28r did, bearings in the turbine side failed and spewed oil into the exhaust in a big way.
I think what I will do is hope it lasts for a while then try to source a low km Spec R engine and put a new Garrett GTX line turbo on it, i.e. what I should have done from the beginning.
The s14 unit feels a lot weaker though, will see what it makes on Saturday but I'll be impressed with anything over 250.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Given how cheap lenses are, it's just a better option to get new lenses surely. Mine were £42 each, for example.

Soldato
I bet most cars don't have the lenses available separately though, and complete lights often run into hundreds.
Every time I've 'restored' lights like this, within 6 months they are back to how there were before if not worse. Apparently putting a good quality 2k clear on them would last a lot longer, I will probably try this.

Associate
The GEM has nothing to do with the heated screens/hazards/indicators or the boot button...

I'm almost 100% certain it does, to test the GEM on fords you press & hold the rear heated window button & switch on the ignition, wait a couple of seconds and release the button, there should be a "chime".

Now when you activate the indicators, window heaters, door locks etc etc, you will hear a confirmation chime if the system is working correctly.

Listed as a Mondeo test here, but I know it will work for at least a Mk7 fiesta:

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=GEM_Module_Self_Diagnostics

Soldato
Given how cheap lenses are, it's just a better option to get new lenses surely. Mine were £42 each, for example.

AFAIK e60 lenses are not available and new headlights I would guess are around £300 each otherwise yes replacing the lens would be ideal. I am going to look out for a UV resistant sealant and see how it goes. :)

Soldato
Full diagnostic test gives all modules a 'pass'

Yet going into the GEM unit and then giving that a scan, it threw up a load of things that are short circuiting. All the things that the GEM controls, work though. The GEM has nothing to do with the heated screens/hazards/indicators or the boot button...

I missed this, yes it does. It does all sorts. It could well be goosed especially since the scan threw up those errors. The good news is it doesn't appear to be expensive to replace.

The 9th post here will help you test for sure.

Given how many / most headlights are sealed units and the lenses are bonded on, this isn't usually an option :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I relised yesterday that was very wrong what I initially thought. Took the gem and the security system out yesterday. Swapped some wires about and managed to get the heated screens working.

Managed to order 1 for £24 (Ford wanted 229+vat :roll eyes: ). Hopefully should be here for tomorrow.

4 different variants of the part number though depending on what factory options was added : 6S6T-15K600-CL

Should hopefully work.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
AFAIK e60 lenses are not available and new headlights I would guess are around £300 each otherwise yes replacing the lens would be ideal. I am going to look out for a UV resistant sealant and see how it goes. :)

Oh from the pic I thought it was an E39 not an E60 :o hence why I said posted that!

Caporegime

Hmm, probably better to source some better ones maybe? I don't want a temporary fix.

Not keen on new mind you - quite an outlay on an old relatively cheap car - trouble is, finding used ones in much better condition isn't going to be easy. :/

Mines an e39 btw.

Soldato
GEM unit come. Everything is now working :)

Except for the security system and key fob. (Obviously needs to be programmed) which I'll get done later.

Jobs a good n.

Cost £24 and a few beers :)

Lesson learned this week. Don't jump newish cars...

Back
Top Bottom