What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
You'd be surprised by how easy it is to permanently mark and scratch away the plastic over a period of time. On the road when in standard commuting traffic I see and have seen people do all manner of things from check their make-up to scratching the inside of their noses and inspecting the gold to tapping and scratching parts of their steering wheel.! That's just on an aevarge day. If those scratchers do that 5 days a week for say a couple of years then that wheel is going to look like a right state.

They probably do it without even realising because it has become a part of their daily routine, it is beyond a habit.

Wow

Soldato
Did some tinkering with the rear suspension. On the way to the alignment shop it blew ANOTHER turbo. Really not happy. Will be fixed by tomorrow though.

Soldato
Already broke the Fiesta. Mrs left the lights on which killed the battery. Jumped it using my car and now the indicators/hazards, front/back heated screen, boot release button doesn't work.

Guess I have blown something with the mondeos battery being bigger. All fuses are fine. Just waiting on a fuse tester so I can check the relays and the bigger amp fuses.

The joys.

Soldato
You're not strictly supposed to jump-start Fords with the smart charging tech, but then I have done my old Mondeo in the past with no issues. Not sure if the Fiesta had this. If all the fuses are fine then it's possible you've fried the body control module / general electric module.

Last edited:
Soldato
Already broke the Fiesta. Mrs left the lights on which killed the battery. Jumped it using my car and now the indicators/hazards, front/back heated screen, boot release button doesn't work.

Guess I have blown something with the mondeos battery being bigger. All fuses are fine. Just waiting on a fuse tester so I can check the relays and the bigger amp fuses.

The joys.

Sweet lord. Pray you haven't blown a module.

Soldato
Modern cars don't like being jump started.....better off going maplins and buying a solar panel and getting enough charge in to the battery to start them!

PS other electronics store exist ;)

Soldato
Dealer wanted too much for a 3rd service so changed the pads, discs, air filter, oil & filter, replaced a couple of bulbs, topped up all the fluids and replaced a nearside droplink on my wife's motor. Most work I've ever done on a car, swear my chest is hairier now. Need to tackle the rear brake shoes next but waiting on a 30mm socket.

Soldato
Got the turbo replaced, did end up welding the dump pipe on the back since half the studs had snapped. Hopefully it will hold, should be good for the dyno day albeit significantly down on power now :(

Soldato
Full diagnostic test gives all modules a 'pass'

Yet going into the GEM unit and then giving that a scan, it threw up a load of things that are short circuiting. All the things that the GEM controls, work though. The GEM has nothing to do with the heated screens/hazards/indicators or the boot button...

Checked all the fuses, all ok.

I'm at a lost, i know nothing about electrics and my mechanic doesn't know enough about them.

I did disconnect the battery for a hour, just for something to try out. When reconnecting it the boot opened on its own. (not sure if this normally happens or not?)

Still thinking a module even though a very expensive diagnostic tool seems to think they are all fine?

Anyone else got any clues before i call it a day?

Soldato
How many turbos have you tried now? And whats the one on there now? :(

Killed two, now back to the old faithful stock s14 t28. The performance is a bit lacklustre but this one served me well for the longest time. Tbh I think both of the bb turbos I had were on their last legs. The last one had made a whining noise ever since I put it on and it definitely wasn't a leak. It had had a billet compressor put in it but you can't rebuild the bb core so who knows how old it was. They don't seem to be too durable to me, seems like a 60k mile part.

Soldato
I've missed the fun with my GT28RS, can't wait to have the car back on the road!

I have no idea how old mine is, I bought it fairly cheap. It wasn't in amazing condition, snapped off studs and broken actuator. But I cleaned it up and sorted it all out and it performs well, I've put about 8k miles on it and it's had some abuse as well as a track day.

I changed the fuel filter on my Dad's Insignia today...

IMG_20150421_163816.jpg

It was NOT pretty. No idea when it was last changed, he's only had the car 6 months, but it's on 214k miles so it's probably done a few miles :o

Back
Top Bottom