What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
To be honest the standard one isnt too bad aesthetically on the facelift (Looks like this), it just lacks any sort of ipod integration - only the aux input on the front panel.

That Clarion unit does full ipod, USB, DVD, DivX/XVid, bluetooth calling and A2DP - for less than £300 it isnt too bad really.

Soldato
A lot of people fail for loud exhausts.

Some MOT testers are easier than others. Though this year it has tightened up a lot on modified cars. Especially loud exhausts.

Being a car enthusiast your self, i am sure you have read/heard of a lot of people swapping over there exhaust for their MOT tests? I see it all the time.

Fortuantly for me, stuff like this is only a Bacon butty away from a pass ;)

My MOT is due this month but got to faff with my exhaust because of decat, proper PITA, wish a bit of noise was the end of my problems :(

Associate
Rebuilt front and rear brake calipers and discs.

Stripped the mains out of one of the possible two engines going into the BGT to see what the crank looked like.

Soldato
Yeah I'm rather chuffed, looks pretty much OEM. It's a Clarion VX401e so not nav capable. I did want nav originally but when I realised the difference in price equated to about 5 tomtoms I scrapped that idea. Plenty fancy players around, I'd have preferred an alpine or a pioneer but they all have front USB which I didn't want. The clarion isn't bad and looks more upmarket than some of them. Only gripea are i need to sort out ISO ground loop isolators due to connecting to the factory amp (shop were adamant I didn't need it, turns out I do!) and the iPod interface isn't brilliant. No album art and you can't seem to select artist, then album.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Today I blew the fuse for the interior lights! \o/

Rear interior light has a broken clip and decided to dangle by it's wires, so attempted to slot it back into the roofspace.

Failed to notice copper tracks on back of light unit are unprotected, a quick spark and then darkness. Oops :p

Associate
I used to love working on cars, now I see it as a bit of a chore. What happened to me?

:\

Money? I used to work on my cars as I didn't really have a choice, now it's just easier to pay someone else to do it if it's an awkward or messy job. I don't mind helping friends fix cars to a certain extent though.

Soldato
I used to love working on cars, now I see it as a bit of a chore. What happened to me?

:\

same here.

when i look back, i used to faff with car stuff all the time, i dont know how i had that much spare time.

as you get older, life changes, even if i have to do car stuff i struggle to get any time for it at all so i think its a combination of things that turn it into a bit of a chore

Soldato
Well, I drilled the new drain holes in my Fiero's sunroof surround. Be interesting to see what happens.

Dragged the Firebird out too, started straight up and idled cleanly down the road. Nice!

Associate
Just replaced the indicator and wiper stalks on the Elise. The old items were the OEM plastic rubbish (from a Vauxhall Astra of all things) and the new ones are nice turned aluminium ones. Much better tactile feel and they look so much better. Knew my Dremel would come in handy one day :)

Back
Top Bottom