1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Took it for a "free brake check" at Kwik Fit and kind of told me what I kind of already knew. I need new tyres and front pads and discs. MOT in a month so needs doing really. I wish I was good at doing things myself as Kwik Fit quoted over £300 for the brakes alone.

2. Flack88

Wise Guy

Jesus Christ, what car is it?

3. agw_01

Capodecina

I was fleeced for brake discs and pads on my first car (94 Rover 214) at a Halfords Autocentre. I was only 18, had no mechanical skills and they definitely saw me coming.

I paid £240 for what was probably £30 parts and an hours (max) labour.

The only time my car goes near a garage now is for an MOT.

Do you have a friend or family member who can show you the basics? It can make all the difference.

4. Vita

Capodecina

Do these have camshaft position and intake position sensors? My 330i was terrible on fuel for the sort of driving I did. Changing those made a big difference even though it never threw up any errors regarding them.

5. Acme

Caporegime

24 is good for the kind of driving I do. :p

6. Flack88

Wise Guy

My brother went to one of these with his Fiat Punto for a basic service, which was bad enough but not a complete rip off. They then told him his exhaust back box was gone and 'about to fall off' apparently needed to be replaced at £200 (a £30 backbox and £4 rubber). Turned out the rubber was starting to slightly perish which cost £4.

How the hell they get away with this boggles my mind, it should be fraud imo.

7. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Exactly why I walked oit of there without paying. It was basically a free check to see what i needed to do.

Sadly I really don't know anyone who is a mechanic, everyone I know is in IT, mortgages or builders.

I have done basics before on my older cars like sparks, filters, oil but brakes and anything more under the hood is beyond me and my basix tools.

8. grudas

Capodecina

brakes are very simple tbf! one of the first thing I did when I got my first car was put new discs and pads in.

9. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Mine cost me £2000 on my last car, then I decided to sell it :rolleyes:

At least they were only about £400 on my current car.

10. agw_01

Capodecina

That's no excuse :p Us IT bods can do more than press a few keys and click the mouse a few times you know.

Having a decent set of tools is half the battle. Something like a Halfords 170 piece socket set will soon pay for itself. Add a breaker bar and torque wrench and you'll be laughing.

11. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Just crank position, coolant temp, throttle position and MAF, possibly oil temp (been a while since i had an M20B25). - http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Management#Sensors

It's a simple engine with rockers arms rather than direct contact with the valves as per modern engines. As you can see in this pic the cam is buried in the middle with it acting on the rocker arms which act on the valves...or not as per this pic.

Generally 24mpg is normal as I posted previously in the thread, mid 20s seems about right, driving sensibly on long drives then you'll see in the 30s. If it had a sensor issue he'd know about it from REALLY bad economy, bad idle and a very rich exhaust. Main issues to cause that though are the MAF (carbon track gets worn out) and rubbish / failed coolant temp sensors.

12. Acme

Caporegime

My mechanic had a car in when I was chatting with him, the brakes were all stuck on because the owner replaced the brake fluid with ATF. :D

13. agw_01

Capodecina

My ex's Mum filled her brake fluid reservoir up with water once because she thought it was the windscreen washer reservoir!

14. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

I've got a halfords set but no jacks, etc. Only the standard jack. Plus I'd be worried I've not installed them properly. If I had someone with me who knew then it'd be different I guess.

15. Dano

Sgarrista

When my Polo failed it's MOT on front discs and pads they quoted me £240 quid to sort them and when I declined then asked me what I was going to do with the car, it was quite clear they wanted to offer me next to nothing for it to use in banger racing or something, told them I'd bring it back for a retest in a couple of days and sorted them myself for a total cost of around £40 and a couple of hours work (would have been less if ECP had sent me the correct pads...) if I remember correctly, it's scary just how much these places charge for such a simple job.

I'm seriously lacking in decent tools though, just have a few odds and ends that my brother and I have picked up over the years, have decided that now I have the Mini if anything goes wrong on it (fully expecting clutch/gearbox at some point lol) I'd rather buy the tools and fix it myself, will cost a similar amount initially I expect but I'll then have a fair toolkit for the future as well.

16. Boycey0211

Soldato

Got back from 2 months working away, friend I trust has been looking after the car. Took it for a quick spin just to check it was all ok, only done a couple of miles since I last drove it so he has literally kept it ticking over which is all I wanted.

Was slowing down before a roundabout and got massive juddering from the front end, had a quick look at nearest petrol station and both front discs have got a massive lip on them, can't work out whether its that or maybe they're warped, which is unlikely as I left the car with the most trustworthy person I know and it hasn't even got the mileage to get them properly warm let alone hot.

Priced up a new set of front and rears as I might aswell do them in a one-er, cheapest I can find atm for stock options comes to £399!! Going to shop around when I've managed to get some sleep as I could really do without that outlay as I've just dropped 800 on some new shiney bits for it.

Obviously safety comes first but I'd rather not cancel my order unless I have to. And the bloody service is due. And Its still got its little oil leak. FFS.

Hope the Mrs. likes roundabout daffodils for valentines day.

17. Diagro

Sgarrista

Not today as was unable to post on Sunday due to some odd ball mod in GPU section ... :D

I fitted a whiteline ARB to front of mazda 3 to try to fix a steering issue. It didn't fix it but my word the car doesn't roll anymore!
    Better grip too which I thought was odd, I was expecting a little more oversteer.
    Then again the old arb was bent so prob how it should be now

18. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Stiffer front ARB will generally increase understeer

19. grudas

Capodecina

had my new tyres fitted..

had to interrupt the fitter and tell him that 225's go on the front and 255's on the rear..

he was like "but the rims are the same width??" to which I had to correct him again and explain that rears are wider which is why you need to fit the wider tyre to the rear and the 225 to the front..

at the end it all worked out but still amusing.

20. Cleisthenes

Sgarrista

Where on earth did you take it?!