What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
What a weird week for the M3, not major expense, just a few little things:

MOT
Sent it in a week early for the MOT, convinced that having sorted out everything I could, it would fly through with no advisories etc.. How wrong was I, one front brake hpse was twisted, something I thought odd when changing the front discs, the caliper was at a funny angle compared to the other side, and now I know why, so I had both fronts changed. The silver lining is the calipers had been changed not to long ago, and they are in great condition, so bonus.. £28 for two hoses.

Gearbox:
It's been niggling me that ever since I had the car I've been plagued with really difficult selection when cold (common issue), and when I had a 50K gearbox fitted, the cold selection was worse, not better.. I've done 1500 miles since and it's not got any better. I'm not being picky on this one, if you are doing >5MPH, when stone cold it's been impossible to get into 2nd gear, you have to man handle it out of first, and put it into third until the oil warms a bit.. It really makes the car feel high maintenance and at odds since the rest of the car feels so smooth and well engineered. So I had a chat with the garage who did the gearbox (can't fault their mechanical work), they said they'd checked/lubed the fork and was sure that was OK (one potential issue, sticking on dry splines when cold), and that pretty much left the obvious question of what oil they used. Normal 75w-80 is not good enough, BMW have their own mix (well they've had a few over the years) , but you can only get the LT2 OEM from the dealer, so whilst they where a bit sheepish rather than argue about it, I said it best if I source the oil and they agreed to change it free of charge. I was going to just get the BMW stuff, but looking on the forums, it seems a 50:50 mix of good synthetic 75W-80 and ATF is a known improvement for cold selection issues, so I ordered the recommended Redline D4 ATF / Redline 75W-80 MTL and handed it over the garage.

The result.. OMG, bit of a transformation, or really it now behaves as it should, nice easy selection when stone cold and lovely when warm, considering the cost of the oil (£40 delivered) I'm kicking myself I didn't specify this when I had the gearbox swapped.

Washer Fluid Leak:
Bah, just before I booked it in the Garage I had the low washer reservoir light come on, which I thought odd as I hadn't really used them much, but topped it up anyway, and getting it back from the garage, it was empty again.. So I jacked it up, removed the inner arch cover and sure enough, the windscreen washer pump is leaking. The odd thing is, by the looks of it, it seems to be coming from the housing itself< I tried taking the pipe off, and putting my thumb over, but could see fluid building around the body, and it starts well above where it pushes into the reservoir.. so I'll just get a new pump and seal/strainer.

cNi5DI9.jpg

Now the weather is getting a bit warmer, and having a reasonable trolley jack, small plastic ramps to just get the front high enough to make getting the jack right under that bit easier, it only takes 5 mins to get the entire front jacked up on axle stands, so jobs like the washer reservoir are quite easy and almost enjoyable! I even took the front bumper off to have a nosey and see how what condition everything is in (pretty reasonable, no damage other than cracked plastic covers on teh drivers side where it's clearly been beached on a kerb from the scratch marks underneath).

Associate
when stone cold it's been impossible to get into 2nd gear, you have to man handle it out of first, and put it into third until the oil warms a bit..
If I don't drive mine for a couple of days, it's surprisingly stiff to get into 1st to set off when cold. Then a little stiff in to get into second, but if I double clutch its much easier. Doesn't take long to warm up and all gears smooth after that. Interestingly this initial stiffness has been worse for me since it had an inspection 2 with gearbox oil change. Got to be the oil, I;ve often thought that it must have had an additive in previously.

Soldato
If I don't drive mine for a couple of days, it's surprisingly stiff to get into 1st to set off when cold. Then a little stiff in to get into second, but if I double clutch its much easier. Doesn't take long to warm up and all gears smooth after that. Interestingly this initial stiffness has been worse for me since it had an inspection 2 with gearbox oil change. Got to be the oil, I;ve often thought that it must have had an additive in previously.
So many people try and put in "upgraded" oil
Quite what can be upgraded in a gearbox oil is beyond me. I think people like to try and think they can upgrade anything.

Anyway, people stick all sorts of crap in. The only oil i have and do use is the OEM fill of LT2 or LT3 now LT2 has been discontinued.

Pentosin MTF-LT2 was the OEM fill and used to be available on eBay for £20 for 2litres, but it's disappeared now, probably because they don't make it anymore.

Soldato

I'd definitely consider the 50:50 mixes. The e36 (same getrag box) had ATF specified for a period of time, they switched to an MTF fluid, and people complained about the stiff when cold issue. The E46 has had 2 BMW mixes LT1 and LT2, clearly this is not a pure 75w-80 oil as it behaves differently.

Opie oils recommend specific fuchs or red line mixes, and can only say it's made mine 100% better.

Soldato
Completed the front end suspension refresh this weekend by fitting new lower arms (ordered the wrong ones originally). Have now done:

- New struts (replaced with ST XA coilovers)
- Lemforder thrust arms
- TRW lower arms
- TRW track rods and drag link (the old ones were seized making toe adjustments very difficult)
- Powerflex ARB bushes
- Meyle drop links

Had it all aligned a few weeks back, and it's driving so damn well. The thrust arm bushings had cracked and not only is the handling sharper but the ride is significantly improved too.

The ball joints are a complete pain in the arse to remove from an E39 front though - the height of the lower arm balljoint to the top of the stud is over 80mm - so no lever type ball joint separator will fit. Had to use a fork-type separator, which I'd never previously had much luck with, until I realised the profile was too shallow and so just hitting other components behind the ball joint. Once I'd cut the forks down by 8mm or so, the balljoint popped right out within 3-4 smacks of the pein hammer.

I just wish I'd modified the fork years ago...

Soldato
Polished and waxed half of it in preparation for the strong possibility that i have to sell

IMG_20170321_160123.jpg

By hand hence the half . Done in and smell like the meguires factory

hux

hux

Soldato
What new stuff would that be? :)

Sounds like @"andy" might know! :p

Mirror bight is it?

I was eyeing up their cleaner wax, either that or I was going to buy some auto finesse tripple.

Been out of the game for a few years, just use a bit of duragloss 901 and aquawax for a quick shine, figured that an aio would be a good next step.

hux

hux

Soldato
Cleaner wax is great for an instant shine. next to no longevity but it does look brilliant once applied.
Fair enough, what would you suggest for an aio product?

Did used to have and love blackfire wet diamond a sealant I know but amazing shine. But I'm cost cutting for now and would like to keep any products to a minimum for now.

Oh and musn't go white on any plastic or rubber, god I hate stuff that does this.

Caporegime
I use Auto Finesse Tripple as an AIO but I cant comment on its properties as a wax because I tend to stick BSD on top. I have Fusso (dark) as well, but I havent used it yet.

On a different note, the Sportrac 5's on the back of the MX5 are a marked improvement over the T1R's already, and they haven't even got 50 miles on them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom