What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Phone call from BMW just now. Two of my calipers (of course one of them is not the one being replaced) bleed valves(?) are completed corroded, meaning they need to be replaced. This wont be covered under warranty, price at the moment is £850 + the warranty excess now. And just as I'm typing this I get another phone call to tell me one of the calipers (guessing front) needs to come from Germany (7-10 days). Oh the joys of a not very common M car....

At least I have my trusty LXXX Turbo now and the weathers crap.

Man of Honour
Why does everyone run pea shooter exhausts on turbo mx5s?

Not really a huge amount of point without a forged engine, if you look back at my Dyno graph from Ti motorsport the torque doesn't really roll till close 7000rpm and I'm probably more limited by the turbo than anything. Admittedly it would spool better with a 3" system

Soldato
Phone call from BMW just now. Two of my calipers (of course one of them is not the one being replaced) bleed valves(?) are completed corroded, meaning they need to be replaced. This wont be covered under warranty, price at the moment is £850 + the warranty excess now. And just as I'm typing this I get another phone call to tell me one of the calipers (guessing front) needs to come from Germany (7-10 days). Oh the joys of a not very common M car....

Ouch!

Soldato
I love how you can pick up a Jaguar XJR for 4 grand. Sounds like you've done some good little jobs on her. Any more planned? Does the car have any common flaws which strike sooner or later?

Nothing planned, and hopefully no major issues in the near future. The air suspension can be problematic but in my experience it tends to go wrong above 130k miles so mine should be ok for the moment. In recent years it's got a lot easier and cheaper to sort out so even if it does throw up some problems it won't be the end of the world.

Soldato
Finally got around to fixing the annoying rattle coming inside the centre console in my GT86. Had to take quite a few parts out to get to it, but totally worth it \o/

That, plus I wrapped the tacky looking fake carbon fibre plastics with black suede. I quite like the interior now :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato

They need to replace the whole caliper because the bleed valve is corroded? I'm calling BS - it's just a screw-in nipple, there's no way it needs a whole new caliper for that when at worst you'd drill out and helicoil the existing caliper. And that's worst case scenario. They've probably broken the bleed screw themselves.

Associate
They need to replace the whole caliper because the bleed valve is corroded? I'm calling BS - it's just a screw-in nipple, there's no way it needs a whole new caliper for that when at worst you'd drill out and helicoil the existing caliper. And that's worst case scenario. They've probably broken the bleed screw themselves.

That's what I have been told. Corroded beyond any help. Not a whole lot I can do about it now. At least ill have 3 new calipers and two new disks after this mess has been sorted. At least that's the one positive i have.

Associate
To be fair to them they have always been straight with me and done plenty for free. Maybe they are taking the ****, maybe not. Either way its stuck at BMW having warranty work done so even if i took it to an independent (I don't have one i trust) and if I could find oem disks/calipers i couldn't see it being much cheaper if at all.

Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if they cross threaded the bleed nipple and now are asking to replace the calliper. My mazdas callipers were rusty as hell but still worked fine and i bleed the system no issues.

Sounds like they're taking you for a special treatment.

Caporegime
Drove it to a bar in Worthing to drop someone off. Wherever I go in it (the MX5) it always seems to attract lots of people of around my age or younger who ask if its my car or generally compliment it... As a car guy I find it bizarre that people love an 18 year old Mazda so much, but then I guess all their friends drive econoboxes or ride bicycles. The BMW gets less of a reaction but the odd person comments on how its cool or retro or old-school. :p

None of my other cars got a second look, including the Celica which was pretty in your face for a shed.

Last edited:
Associate
When was your last brake fluid service, and was it with them? How long ago?

Two years end of next month. Thankfully other wise they wouldn't of covered the two disc's and seized calliper. Before this happened i was planning to book it in with them for the start of next month after I forgot about it when it had its mot done.

Was done by them shortly after i got the car. But it had the brakes done that summer by an independent.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cross threaded the bleed nipple and now are asking to replace the calliper. My mazdas callipers were rusty as hell but still worked fine and i bleed the system no issues.
Sounds like they're taking you for a special treatment.

Maybe. But this does show how little trust we have of the motor trade when everyone's first thought is that they are screwing you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom