What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Today Gibbo and I went to KFC for lunch. The chicken was cooked to perfection and the gravy was at just the right consistancy. The girl on the till was a bit of a minger though.

But the important part was this......

728977_10152410781405533_1313500986_o.jpg

Soldato
Picked up a new bonnet and bumper on the weekend, my bumper was reversed into a few years ago and despite being fixed, doesn't quite sit flush. A second hand one came up cheap, so I'll just get this resprayed.

FFS, could have had my UKDM front bumper for a tenner (location M1 J13).

Still sitting at my parents house. Got reveresed into a little which just cracked and splintered paint, that's it. I just found a £100 resprayed bumper on the forum which was on my way to TGM anyway so just have my original sitting around.

Associate
I took a minor chunk out of one of my rear alloys today when the rear wheels caught gripin the snow as I was just breaking the grip slightly to turn into a junction... which led to car slidingforwards instead. /durp - due a refurb anyhow. :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It could be failed cam follower but it would have to be fairly far on to have such a big fuel cut, 2006 Golfs should have the BWA engine which has the B revision harder cam. I would also get them to replace the fuel filter, I have heard of a couple with fuel cut problems due to a clogged filter.

My cam follower had minimal wear at 47k when I got the dealer to swap it over for a new one, just checked last week and at 80k it still looks brand new but put a new one in anyway.

Did you buy it from a VW dealer ? I assume you are not having to pay for them chucking parts at the problem ?

It wasn't bought from a dealer no, but I decided having a dealer look over it was best in case the car wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

Two different Thrust Sensors later the car is running fine now. Lookers VW in Blackburn have been fantastic actually and even called me today to check it was definitely sorted and I had no more problems. I ended up letting them have it overnight for one of their guys to give it a long test drive before handing it back as I didn't want the hassle. I'm happy it's finally pulling how it should be. I've done about 50 miles in it since I picked it up and had a play with the paddles etc. Great fun and still returning decent MPG. I just need new tyres and tracking and it'll be spot on.

Thanks for your insight, good to know I should have the revised cam. The car was registered in June 06. I will be looking to get a full service for my own piece of mind next month with the cam follower and all fluids replaced.

F0CXg.jpg

Associate
Today Gibbo and I went to KFC for lunch. The chicken was cooked to perfection and the gravy was at just the right consistancy. The girl on the till was a bit of a minger though.

But the important part was this......

728977_10152410781405533_1313500986_o.jpg

I was really confused for a moment there at how familiar that KFC carpark looked, then I realised it would do since it's the same one I go to in Newcastle. My car earlier today after driving to college and then driving home again 15 minutes later when they decided to close it early. I fitted some MK2 rear lights to it yesterday.

img0755eg.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cut up a old kettle lead, made a hole in a Robinsons bottle and then used the cable sheath to make a syphon to remove all the water from the washer bottle as my pump was frozen. Then refilled with warm water till it defrosted. Emptied the system and filled the whole lot with neat washer fluid.

No more spraying mr sheen out of my window! :D

Associate
Took my car for it's MOT today, probably not the most ideal day to do it..

It failed on a few very minor things, the two main ones were emissions and handbrake.

Going to tighten up the cable as there's too much play in it, cat doesn't seem to be functioning as there is an ever so tiny hole in the mid section of the pipe which will be replaced.

All in all... less than £100 to fix so can't go wrong with that, jobs should all be done by monday then back for a retest!

Permabanned
Replacement wiper came so I fitted that (fingers rapidly going numb though)

Ford OEM spec is Drivers side 22" & Passenger side 19", which barely covers the screen,
I'm not sure why on earth Ford picked those sizes but basically they are wrong?

I've now fitted Drivers side 24" & Passenger side 22", the blades easily clear each other and I get a bigger area cleaned :)

Anyway, if you have a mk1/1.5 (newer?) Ford Focus, have a close look at your wipers before buying new stock ones,
you should find a bigger set will fit.

If you want to fix that annoying centre dribble,
then apparently fitting a Drivers side 26" & Passenger side 16" will allow the drivers side to clear the 16" tracks.

Soldato
Finally solved the saga of one of my HID bulbs turning off after 5 seconds or so yesterday. Turns out I needed a relay harness to power the ballasts directly from the battery instead of using the existing headlight wiring.

Took about 2 hours to fit as I had to relocate the ballasts from inside the headlamp unit to the engine bay. Then had problems with the relay clicking on and off constantly like 5 times a second, so had to make a 20 mile round trip to the nearest Maplin to pick up a 470uF capacitor.

It's been a pig to get it all working properly, but it's well worth it for the massively improved lighting over standard.

Soldato
Ordered for the 6 MPS:

Uprated rear engine mount
Short shift plate
Solid shifter bushings
Turbo inlet pipe and short ram intake
Stubby aerial

Can't wait for it all to arrive so I can get it fitted. :)

Back
Top Bottom