What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
The front end of my F11 had to come off on Christmas Eve as my headlight has developed a condensation issue and I'm not keen on spending £2300 on a new one. I've made it better but it's not perfect.
nezs1mh.jpeg

My mum's car has this problem. It isn't too bad as it's just mild misting rather than heavy condensation. However, the other issue she has is both headlight lenses have cracks in the plastic all along the them every 5 cm or so. I've never seen anything like it and have no idea why it's happened. I was thinking - no problem, we'll just get a couple of new headlights - until I saw the price. How are headlights for a 10 year old 520d headlights nearly £1000 each new (OEM Hella) and £600-700 used?! I'm seeing Mat Armstrong buying new fangled LED headlights for his McLaren/Ferrari for less than this! It's crazy that with the headlight issues on the F10 that BMW didn't recall these parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
My mum's car has this problem. It isn't too bad as it's just mild misting rather than heavy condensation. However, the other issue she has is both headlight lenses have cracks in the plastic all along the them every 5 cm or so. I've never seen anything like it and have no idea why it's happened. I was thinking - no problem, we'll just get a couple of new headlights - until I saw the price. How are headlights for a 10 year old 520d headlights nearly £1000 each new (OEM Hella) and £600-700 used?! I'm seeing Mat Armstrong buying new fangled LED headlights for his McLaren/Ferrari for less than this! It's crazy that with the headlight issues on the F10 that BMW didn't recall these parts.
The worst part is if you have Xenon or LED headlights the new units from BMW or Hella don't include the control units so they won't even work. You're looking at north of £2000 if you need the modules too, that's if you can even get them. I've been told some are on back order from BMW.

My headlight was so bad it was blowing the halos but I've managed to reduce the problem a lot, I'm hoping come summer they dry out even more.

Caporegime
I forgot to tax my fiesta a couple of years ago. It was £0 per year.

After 2 months of “no tax” I received a fine from the DVLA of £150 ish. Had to pay it.

I didn't tax my Alto for 2 months after I bought it, because it was off the road.

I should have SORNd it but didn't see the harm in not bothering.

Then I got a threatening letter from the DVLA about potential fines and whathaveyou.

Will be annoyed if I get a fine... :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait till you experience 500bhp+, I always thought 400bhp for a road car is enough power and anything more is just stupid... How wrong was I...

Yes I had my eye on a Alpha Quadfelligio or whatever its called but after thinking about what I use my car for it would be a waste on me. I only need something nippy enough to get me out on roundabouts, overtakes, joining motorway etc....

Soldato
I didn't tax my Alto for 2 months after I bought it, because it was off the road.

Then I got a threatening letter from the DVLA about potential fines and whathaveyou.

You know SORN stands for statutory OFF ROAD notification right? :p

Also the statutory part means erm, statutory.

Associate

I think you are going to be annoyed then ;)

Associate
Had a bump from behind but no damage.

Really light nudge and no scuffs at all, as our car is low value, about to be replaced and the driver of the other car was apologetic I let it go.
Not worth the bother to follow up, especially as there was nowt wrong.

Soldato
£870 later, and she's looking as good as new. Very pleased with the result and feel it was worth it. Kinda wish the person that reversed into my car had left a note so it was their cash not mine paying for it though.

fixed-scaled.jpg

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yes I had my eye on a Alpha Quadfelligio or whatever its called but after thinking about what I use my car for it would be a waste on me. I only need something nippy enough to get me out on roundabouts, overtakes, joining motorway etc....
I don't see the point of owning a fast car in the UK, nowhere to enjoy it... I still get asked, how could I go back from a fully spec'd 5 year old BMW m140i to an old £500 banger. :p

Soldato
£870 later, and she's looking as good as new. Very pleased with the result and feel it was worth it. Kinda wish the person that reversed into my car had left a note so it was their cash not mine paying for it though.

fixed-scaled.jpg
Looks a good repair. Get some main dealer plates made up. Under 15 quid and will look so much cleaner than the one you have.

Associate
Changed the battery. The EFB battery that Ford supply is trash. Would be losing charge within a week despite regular charging. Swapped it to a AGM Bosch and changed the settings in Forscan to the correct type of battery. Seems fine, starts quicker, mirrors fold out/in quicker, no warnings about shutting down the Sync system to save power.

Soldato
Changed the battery. The EFB battery that Ford supply is trash. Would be losing charge within a week despite regular charging. Swapped it to a AGM Bosch and changed the settings in Forscan to the correct type of battery. Seems fine, starts quicker, mirrors fold out/in quicker, no warnings about shutting down the Sync system to save power.

EFB on my Golf was poor, when it finally gave up I changed it an AGM.

I noticed it started better, even stop start when I forgot to turn it off would engage and have no issues remaining off for a substantial period compared to the EFB where it was always unavailable or engaged and turned back on within 10 seconds.

After reading “Mirrors Fold/Close Quicker” I now picture your car behaving like this with its new battery :D

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom