what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Oh they look classy, info?

Been a long time lover of my Akg Q701, the sound is amazing in movies and music the ability to stretch the sound stage as far as the room will go is wonderful for gaming, I have that hunger for something new though, yet not to far removed from what I have become accustomed too. I have been struggling to settle on something though as it seems like any clear upgrade path is streight from mid-fi right in to hi/Summit-fi, the senn hd800 are to needy amp wise I have heard, the beyer T1 are apparently extremely fast and the Akg k812 are a little too shout at bright at the top end. Pleyners traditionaly are very thick with bass from what I have been reading.

All this in mind the Akg K812 are at £675 now so I'm very tempted, I'd like to know if any one has any recommendations though that are worth looking over first?

Associate
Oh they look classy, info?

Been a long time lover of my Akg Q701, the sound is amazing in movies and music the ability to stretch the sound stage as far as the room will go is wonderful for gaming, I have that hunger for something new though, yet not to far removed from what I have become accustomed too. I have been struggling to settle on something though as it seems like any clear upgrade path is streight from mid-fi right in to hi/Summit-fi, the senn hd800 are to needy amp wise I have heard, the beyer T1 are apparently extremely fast and the Akg k812 are a little too shout at bright at the top end. Pleyners traditionaly are very thick with bass from what I have been reading.

All this in mind the Akg K812 are at £675 now so I'm very tempted, I'd like to know if any one has any recommendations though that are worth looking over first?

How are those Focal Elear Renegade?

They are indeed, as Ayahuasca says, the Focal Elears, and I would recommend them to you, Kanifee.

Luckily I live close to Audio Sanctuary and, apart from being a terrible discovery for my wallet (and girlfriend :p), they have most of the TOTL headphones in store for testing. Even from the more 'boutique' brands such Audeze. I was looking to add a pair of open cans for home use so went along a couple of weeks ago to trial the LCD2, Beyer T1 and Focal Elear. One of the complaints I always read about the Audezes is that they're too heavy but for me it was a non-issue. They were just as comfortable as the others I tried with those huge pillow-y pads and well padded headband.

Anyway to get to the point; I preferred the sound of the Audeze and Focal over the Beyer (which is still an excellent sounding headphone). I was actually surprise at how similar the LCD2 and Elear sound in my brief time with the both of them. I went with the Elears in the end (obviously) in part because they look and feel incredible - they make my Shure SRH1540s look, certainly not cheap, but less... premium? - and in part because even though they sound very similar, I found the Elear had a more visceral bass impact and more sparkle in the top end. They're essentially a less dark LCD2 to my ears. I always assumed that closed back headphones held the upper hand in producing deep, powerful bass lines, but the 1540s can't replicate the incredible punch, rumble and texture of the Elear's low end.

They look beautiful. Hopefully they sound beautiful as well.

I'm in aural heaven, man! These are my endgame open-backs. Sure, there's stuff out there that can might be better technically, but I'm not a 'critical' listener and these make me wear a stupid smile on my face with all of the varied, eclectic music I've thrown at them. For reference, I run them straight from a Chord Mojo, but last night I dusted the Little Dot MK2 (with Mullard tubes) off and line-out'd from the Mojo and again, they sounded incredible.

I am so enamoured with them that I was even contemplating bringing them to work with me today and I would have, too, but they didn't quite fit in the 1540s carrying case and I wasn't going to give these the same throw-in-a-plastic-bag treatment that I use to transport the Shures! If I could drive I would have used their box to transport them, which does double as a lovely (albeit not particularly rugged) case, but it's LARGE and I thought bungee strapping it to my pillion seat would be a risk too far xD

Associate
akg k550 mk2 + A3 fiiO Amp for music

Astro a50 Gen 3 Gaming

Logitech g930 Gaming

akgs are great but i find i need a headphone amp to get the best out of them especially off a smart phone although that is not needed when connected to a AV Receiver, also got a cheap £20 quid blue tooth headphone not really good enough as you would expect thinking of trying a more expensive blue-tooth headphone for my phone or am I wasting my time trying to get something wireless as good as the akgs? the headphone cable plus amp and another cable can be a pain though when using a portable device.

Associate
Having not owned a pair of headphones for a while. Wanted something wireless for late night listening and watching movies. So i thought id try the Sennheiser RS-165's a go and very happy with them they sound great for what i want

Caporegime
Just picked these up myself, impressed. The noise cancelling is a bit freaky.

Sound quality is pleasing, comfy set of headphones with loads of ear room. Should do me nicely on my 8 hour flights later in the year.

Already used it on 2 flights, blocks out 95% of noise, it's not 100% silent but it's good enough. Battery last a good while, certainly enough for a journey to Australia. Very comfortable and the lack of wires is great.

I did find one flaw, when you place your hand over the right ear to replace the music with ambient sound, it does not pause the music (or podcast), it keep playing in the background.

Associate
I'm really enjoying the music tonight. Nothing but eyes closed and a gentle sway. Anyways, i've had to come on here and give a shout out to the HD700's.
Marmite headphones.
When listening to these, every now and then a song comes on that makes me very happy indeed. This is one of those moments.
Granted my 600's work with all music, the 700's more hit and miss. But when they sing with the right song, they really take me away.

edit* eq is ~+4db sub frequencies.

Soldato
In the market for some quality noise cancelling headphones as I spend some hours flying these days, I have never used noise cancelling.

Looking around the Sony and Bose seem to be a head to head, anyone with either the QC35 or the MDR 1000 X (i think) got any views on each?

How good are they for travelling? (Trying to maximise the amount of comfort you can get on a plane :) )

Thanks.

Caporegime
In the market for some quality noise cancelling headphones as I spend some hours flying these days, I have never used noise cancelling.

Looking around the Sony and Bose seem to be a head to head, anyone with either the QC35 or the MDR 1000 X (i think) got any views on each?

How good are they for travelling? (Trying to maximise the amount of comfort you can get on a plane :) )

Thanks.

I bought my Sony 1000x last month.

Comfort - 9/10.

3 hours flight and it did not feel like my head is squeezed

Tech - 10/10

Touch pad gestures, wireless. Love you can use it as a handsfree to answer calls.

Building quality - 8/10

It looks a bit cheap and certain bit of plastic is no better built than £100 headphones.

Style - 7/10

It's a bit dull. It's not pretty, but I guess it's discrete, especially in black. I prefer the style of Sennheiser Momentums but I have a pair of those wired and I find them uncomfortable for long sessions.

Noise cancelling - 10/10

It's so good you got to be careful wearing it if walking. People can truly sneak up on you. On the flight it's 95% of sound totally gone.

Sound quality - 8/10

It's good but it's not the best I've heard.

Battery life - 10/10

I've not tried the Bose offering but I went for the Sony purely from online videos reviews. I have no regret because I solely use it for flights and for that purpose - noise cancelling, the tech (holding ear cup to hear announcements), comfort for long flights, battery long enough for a long flight.

The down sides?

I've not tried this but I believe it's not easy to pair the Sony to multiple devices so if you want to use it with your phone one minute then want to switch it to your laptop, it's quite cumbersome to unpair and pair.

Soldato
I'd echo what Reymond says, they're pretty darn comfy. And I'm very happy with noise cancelling (not tried on a flight yet but around the house its a bit creepy not being able to hear stuff), and the sound quality is also pretty good (supposedly have the edge over the bose).

Soldato
Basically retired Sennheiser HD595...
With tape keeping pieces of plastic dropping from cup mounting. (structurally bad design)
Very good sound for competive gaming, but no fun factor from very shy bass.

Beyerdynamic DT990
Design made to last, not to look fashionable.
Similar very big sound stage and overall well balancing sound for gaming with enough bass for also fun factor.
Give thumbs down for 8 kHz band in equalizer if treble troubles in music.

Superlux HD330 bought just as experiement. (for 30€)
Damn good sound for the price.
Very good, but some amount smaller sound stage than in previous ones.
Aims for similar "loudness" shaped frequency resposense than DT990 but mids worser than in it.

Junk box: T*rd Beach Z60 gotten for testing.
Closed design China garbage with overall miserable sound quality including head in bucket size sound stage.
Makes Superluxes sound like top quality maker cans.
Only good thing is that lower bass of closed design... When controlled by low output impedance source.

Back
Top Bottom