what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Caporegime
Anyone know where I can buy those Monoprice Monolith 'phones? :)

Are they as good as I am hoping? I currently have Fidelio X1's which are nice and warm but I'm looking for a second pair with a more detailed sound. I have had a couple of pairs of AKG's but I found them very lacking in the low frequency range.

Soldato
I have a set of the Onkyo ES-HF300, which I was given by Onkyo when they balls'd up my receiver. They're not too bad, but pads wear badly, so replaced them with some AKG K702s, but they're not great in the office due to noise leakage, but sound is great. So I've ordered a set of AKG N60NCs as well. They're due to arrive soon.

Associate
Anyone know where I can buy those Monoprice Monolith 'phones? :)

Are they as good as I am hoping? I currently have Fidelio X1's which are nice and warm but I'm looking for a second pair with a more detailed sound. I have had a couple of pairs of AKG's but I found them very lacking in the low frequency range.
I bought the Monolith M560s from Monoprice's ebay store. Originally priced at $200, they came up to approx. £215 after shipping to the UK, duties and fees.

I wouldn't consider the M560s warm. In my opinion they are more bright sounding and the highs are even a bit peaky with some songs. With regards to the low frequency range, the M560s got quite a few negative comments on Head-Fi. Some said that after burn-in the lows were great. Personally I don't believe in burn-in and I liked the lows straight out of the box. The bass is present but not overpowering.

If the M1060s were out when I was shopping for headphones I would have gone for them. Still, the M560s haven't left me wanting for more. I heard that Monoprice will release an updated version of the M1060s soon to address the build quality issues. If it results in some cheap second hand 1060s from the first batch I might go for them anyway.

Associate
Definitely finding the HP50s a more fun sound, the 700's can be quite fatiguing listening through whole albums.

On that note, what are the most fun sounding headphones people have used here?

The most fun headphones I've heard in no order are

Audioquest Nighthawk
Denon D5000 & 7000
M100
HE-500 & HE-6
HD650

700's are hard to listen to. They have peaks in weird places and it's hard to relax as they just hit you out of nowhere. The HP50's are excellent just wished they were more portable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The most fun headphones I've heard in no order are

Audioquest Nighthawk
Denon D5000 & 7000
M100
HE-500 & HE-6
HD650

700's are hard to listen to. They have peaks in weird places and it's hard to relax as they just hit you out of nowhere. The HP50's are excellent just wished they were more portable.

Out of those which does best for a basshead?

Associate
Out of those which does best for a basshead?

Nighthawk has the best bass I've heard on a headphone when it comes to texture, punch, speed, clarity and level along with the TH900 for those who like a bass head headphone that isn't bloated or gooey. The X2 isn't a bass head headphone it has high distortion and bass roll off due to it simply being open.

Associate
I heard the newer 2016 driver changes in the EL-8 and honestly, don't waste your money. You are better off buying a HD650 or HD600 if you want that type of sound but done better. The EL-8 is a downgrade to the HD600 series. None of the Audeze are bassy headphones. The HE400i is like a better EL-8 but cheaper.

Associate
It's a lot of money to spend on the quality you get. They HD800 are way more resolving, punchy, better imaging etc. Planars also have that planar compression where the sound hits you all at once where as good dynamics have better layering.

It's up to you man but apart from looking cool they seriously are not great headphones and you mentioned you want bassy headphones which they are not.

Have this arriving tomorrow!,

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=17

I feel a little bit excited!

I hope it plays nice with my headphones as apparently it doesn't have gain controls/settings, just grabbed a pair of K712's off 'PapaLazuru', really nice cans but a little too warm with my M-Stage HPA-1, I'm really hoping this is endgame amp for me.

Regarding the K712's, like I said I found them a little warm with my M-Stage, hopefully that will be solved tomorrow, they are quite a bit darker than my K612's but at the same time more revealing, they certainly like better audio quality, they forced me to finally upgrade my spotify account to premium, the stand out thing for me is their natural tone, I think for the money that's were these are really good value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom