what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
My main setup

Hi1jMON.jpg

Schiit BiFrost -> Asgard 2 -> HD650

Looking for a nice pair of closed/semi closed headphones now for under £200. Suggestions?

A pair of headphones for under £200 eh,

I know this is 250 pounds but look into the meze classic 99 it has got rave reviews and if your after a headphone that delivers the emotion of the music then look into these.

They are a very fun sounding headphone and very musical apparently from what i have read regarding the reviews of the meze classic 99.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
A pair of headphones for under £200 eh,

I know this is 250 pounds but look into the meze classic 99 it has got rave reviews and if your after a headphone that delivers the emotion of the music then look into these.

They are a very fun sounding headphone and very musical apparently from what i have read regarding the reviews of the meze classic 99.

Dan.

Thanks, no longer have a need for another pair of closed headphones now though, but will keep this in mind for the future.

Associate
Getting looks of the missus a lot over my AKG K7xx. Im beginning to think I need closed back headphones to keep the noise in ??

Any suggestions ? Was thinking DT880 but not sure.

Thanks

Associate
Getting looks of the missus a lot over my AKG K7xx. Im beginning to think I need closed back headphones to keep the noise in ??

Any suggestions ? Was thinking DT880 but not sure.

Thanks

Yeah from my research the meze classic 99 isolates very well and keeps the sound in so it won't bother your missus.

I wanted the meze classic 99 to be on your radar to decide what headphone you want so yeah you can research them or whatever.

The meze are closed headphone so from all the reviews of this headphone they agree it is one of the best headphones of all time (even though not all of the reviewers said that but i am confident it is one of the best for this price range) for this price range of 250 quid because it sounds great and is a musical headphone and or is one of there favourite headphones or is their main favourite headphone regarding the reviewers of this headphone and or said something else but is positive with what was said about the meze headphone.

So why the meze classic 99 eh... well if you love your music and don't want a critical listening headphone then the meze classic 99 will blow the competition away with it's presentation of the sound but they are quite analytical (critical listening) and struck the balanced between analytical and music pleasure or musical.

Despite them not being 100% perfectly neutral it does have balance i might add.

Last edited:
Associate
Right well now i have the meze classic 99 paired with a PRO-JECT HEAD BOX S2 DIGITAL .

My impressions is this, they sound silky smooth with a lively/clarity presentation and energetic with rhythm and engaging and a nice sound stage while sounding like in a way surround sound along with sub bass.

In a way they do live up to the reviews in a way and i am dead confident for the price they are definitely one of the best headphones you can pick up at this price level of £250.

The sound is involving and inviting with a sweet tone.

If you want a headphone just for music pleasure to sound naturally fun with no artificial sound then i recommend you give these a listen.

Dan.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Made a new addition to my setup

VlKpPxU.jpg

Schiit Modi 2 -> JDS Labs Atom -> DT770 Pro 250ohms/AKG K7XX

Schiit Modi 2 -> JDS Labs Atom -> Presonus Eris 4.5

I'm by no means an expert but the Atom seems more neutral compared to the Magni 3 I was using previously. Source files sound natural and balanced.

I'm looking at the getting the Topping D10 as the DAC so I can sell the Magni and Modi together. I know JDS Labs do their own OL DAC but not sure it warrants the extra £40 price tag. Of course I could just wait a month and get it then just so everything matches. Grace SDAC is another option but its a Massdrop only product it seems.

Last edited:
Associate
Made a new addition to my setup

I'm by no means an expert but the Atom seems more neutral compared to the Magni 3 I was using previously. Source files sound natural and balanced.

Recently did the same, Magni 3 to Atom, and I agree with what you're hearing using K7XX too. I have the OL Dac as well, as the modi 2 uber i bought before the button was faulty and would randomly change inputs, which was infuriating mid-game to have the sound cut out.

The D10 reviewed higher on ASR over the OL Dac, I wanted Optical Input though, have you heard about the Khadas Tone Board you can get them for like 60 quid (need to then also buy a case for it though) reviews better than like some £1000 dacs.

maj

maj

Soldato
Recently did the same, Magni 3 to Atom, and I agree with what you're hearing using K7XX too. I have the OL Dac as well, as the modi 2 uber i bought before the button was faulty and would randomly change inputs, which was infuriating mid-game to have the sound cut out.

The D10 reviewed higher on ASR over the OL Dac, I wanted Optical Input though, have you heard about the Khadas Tone Board you can get them for like 60 quid (need to then also buy a case for it though) reviews better than like some £1000 dacs.

Yeah read up on the tone board, looks quite interesting. Similar to an idea I had at one point of using a Pi with a Phat Dac. Would work out a lot cheaper and still does 24-bits at 192KHz too. Not sure if I'll ever need optical or not unless phono becomes obsolete. Would you say you've noticed a difference using optical?

Do you hear a rather noticeable humming noise from the Atom's power adapter? I thought mine was faulty but apparently it's normal from what distributor said.

Associate
Yeah read up on the tone board, looks quite interesting. Similar to an idea I had at one point of using a Pi with a Phat Dac. Would work out a lot cheaper and still does 24-bits at 192KHz too. Not sure if I'll ever need optical or not unless phono becomes obsolete. Would you say you've noticed a difference using optical?

Do you hear a rather noticeable humming noise from the Atom's power adapter? I thought mine was faulty but apparently it's normal from what distributor said.

No real audible difference I just didn't want to take up a usb slot, also like being able to use the eq from the onboard soundcard for it without having to install something like Peace/APO.

Yea the noise my first adapter was making was extremely loud after a few hours of use. The place I bought from sent out a new one, that's only made a loud hum once. Now I have to place my ear on it, to hear the hum and it's same as the OL Dac's smaller adapter noise when ear placed to it. I did buy a new surge protector though, as it seemed to be made worse by the one I had it first plugged into.

I've also moved the plug order around, I had an email from the surge protector manufacturer that suggested I do this as well.

So originally it was plugged in like this and causing the most noise:

Wall Socket>Surge Protector(Atom>OL Dac>PC PSU>Monitor)

Now I have it so the Atom is the last thing plugged in on the surge furthest from cable to the wall:

Wall Socket>Surge Protector(PC PSU>Monitor>OL Dac>Atom)

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but since doing this I don't have to turn off at the wall after many hours of use (sleep in same room so was having to turn it off at the wall). Gonna eventually plug it back into the original surge adapter in the new order to test as well.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
Wondering if you got it from the same distributor as they so far haven't offered to replace it:

I have an Atom on my desk, and have spoken to 2 other customers, the buzzing and heat is a normal thing from these power supplies, and is nothing to worry about. I do understand that they are a little noisy if you are sleeping in the same room though. Feel free to check this with JDS Labs if you wish: [email protected]

JDS Labs replied with:

Sorry to hear that! A buzzing sound indicates shipping damage to the power adapter. It should be warm to the touch, and contains a fuse for safety. That said, I recommend requesting anther 16VAC adapter from your retailer, as buzzing can be annoying.

Let me know if you need more help.

I must say that having since raised it as a concern the noise does seem to have subsided somewhat but it is there if I put my ear next to it. Before that I could hear it when I turned my PC off and amp was still on at the wall. I'm lucky in that I sleep in a separate room to where my PC is so I'll give it a few more days and go back to seller if needed for a replacement. For what its worth, mine plugs straight into a mains socket rather than a surge protector.

Anyway main thing is how impressed I am by the amp. Think I'll make the right choice in keeping it and selling my Schiit stack.

@luggles have you had to use the gain for the K7XX? From what I know they are fairly easy to drive. My DT770 Pro's seem to perform okay without any gain too with volume set to around 11 o'clock.

Associate
Wondering if you got it from the same distributor as they so far haven't offered to replace it:

I must say that having since raised it as a concern the noise does seem to have subsided somewhat but it is there if I put my ear next to it. Before that I could hear it when I turned my PC off and amp was still on at the wall. I'm lucky in that I sleep in a separate room to where my PC is so I'll give it a few more days and go back to seller if needed for a replacement. For what its worth, mine plugs straight into a mains socket rather than a surge protector.

Anyway main thing is how impressed I am by the amp. Think I'll make the right choice in keeping it and selling my Schiit stack.

@luggles have you had to use the gain for the K7XX? From what I know they are fairly easy to drive. My DT770 Pro's seem to perform okay without any gain too with volume set to around 11 o'clock.

I got it from the only UK authorised dealer I could find, emailed JDS if they were legit before purchasing, they have headphones in their name (don't know if saying actual company name violates rules as unsure they're a competitor). They offered to send out a new power adapter, after my first email exchange mentioning problems, even provided a paid for shipping returns label. The new power adapter came in a much sturdier red cardboard box, similar to the atoms box, the original was just thin white card.

Would have bought direct from JDS, like i did the OL Dac, but their shipping rates have more than doubled since i purchased. Always had great customer service with them direct, and always quick to reply to email questions however dumb.

I have it on low gain for the k7xx, sitting around 12" o'clock for me when listening to music and a little higher on certain games i play. Even though the magni 3 is supposed to be more powerful i needed it higher on that.

maj

maj

Soldato
Same place as me then. No offer of a replacement from them for me. I did wonder if they had sent an aftermarket power adapter as it was in a flimsy white cardboard box and the adapter was covered in dust and grime, not what I was expecting for something 'new'. Interesting that they still sent mine in the white box when other options are available. I may yet push them for a replacement as I've only had it a few days.

Yeah JDS themselves seem a nice helpful bunch its just a shame they don't officially sell in the UK directly. Never used any of their products before as Schiit seemed to be the 'go to' for a while but the Atom seems to be popular at the moment and I can see why.

Edit: just turned PC off and the power adapter is still as loud as it was on day one. Time to ask for a replacement I think. I dont trust it being left powered on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently ordered the Meze 99 Noir (aka the Massdrop version of the Meze 99 Classic).

Can’t wait for them to arrive.
Previously owned the Oppo PM3 and Hifiman 400S.

Soldato
My Yuulong Daart Canary has proved to be an absolutely awesome DAC/AMP with zero hiss even at high volume no sound, I can turn it up past 33% on my HD700s. Delighted with both.

Positional sound in gaming really isn’t the best though. For music and video it’s bliss.

Back
Top Bottom