what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Nice - be interested to hear how you find them :)
I'll post my impression, thanks so much for the heads up. I'm quite excited to try them and it seems beyer give 60 days return window so seems quite low risk. detachable cable would be nice but I've never had to replace a cable in my life and beyer custom support seems very good.

Associate
I'll post my impression, thanks so much for the heads up. I'm quite excited to try them and it seems beyer give 60 days return window so seems quite low risk. detachable cable would be nice but I've never had to replace a cable in my life and beyer custom support seems very good.

You're welcome - hope you like them as much as I do. Have been listening to mine again today and they suit me perfectly - both for Music and gaming :)

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a budget set of headphones for leaving at work. These will be used for gaming so would prefer a detachable cable for a boom pro.

Failing that, where would be best for buying second hand headphones?

Soldato
Right now I have 4, Beyerdynamic DT770, DT990 both 250 Ohm versions and Phillips Fidelio X2HR, All 3 running off the Creative AE-9, And also a Jabra Move bluetooth headphone for my stationary bike for my daily cardio.

Soldato
I ended up picking up a pair of SHP9500 for £35. So that makes 4 sets now for me.
At the start of December I had none :eek:
I also noticed someone selling a set of DT990 locally which look new for £60. I need to stop.

Associate
Now have a set of BeyerDynamic Tygr 300 - up until recently they came as a bundle with a USB mic but now they have become available on their own.

Simply, they have hit the sweet spot for me. Have sold my 58x now. The Beyer combine the best of the DT990 & DT880 for me. They are soooo comfortable, sound fantastic from a positional sound point of view and combine the bass similar to the DT990 without the peaky top end. Also pretty easy to drive. Without doubt my gaming headphones of choice now - a removable cable would have made them perfect!
Hey dude! So I just got these in on your advice. I was reluctant to purchase tbh. I love beyer for build, comfort and imagine/soundstage but their tuning (dt990 and 880 to lesser extent) leaves me perplexed. Beyer were founded in 1924 and I can only conclude the original sound engineers must still be working there LOL.

I took -10db off the dt990 at 10k and while they then sounded decent pain wise clarity had taken a dive.

Now the TYGR 300 are to my ears basically flat dt990 with a slightly larger sound stage. IMO they are exactly what the dt990 should have been. I'd say they are a couple of db boasted on the high and low end but they aren't V shaped at all. I haven't seen its curve but if imagine it's super tame.

Bought for £120 direct from beyer. For Mid-Fi cans for me they basically exactly what I always wanted.

Associate
Hey dude! So I just got these in on your advice. I was reluctant to purchase tbh. I love beyer for build, comfort and imagine/soundstage but their tuning (dt990 and 880 to lesser extent) leaves me perplexed. Beyer were founded in 1924 and I can only conclude the original sound engineers must still be working there LOL.

I took -10db off the dt990 at 10k and while they then sounded decent pain wise clarity had taken a dive.

Now the TYGR 300 are to my ears basically flat dt990 with a slightly larger sound stage. IMO they are exactly what the dt990 should have been. I'd say they are a couple of db boasted on the high and low end but they aren't V shaped at all. I haven't seen its curve but if imagine it's super tame.

Bought for £120 direct from beyer. For Mid-Fi cans for me they basically exactly what I always wanted.

Excellent - glad you like them - think they got the tuning pretty spot on for these tbh. Now if only they did removable cables!! Enjoy :)

Associate
My only issue with them over the dt990 is comfort. The dt990 didn't touch my ear and the acoustic foam on these does. But I'm sure I'll get use to it. I did eq the high end down 4db as well.

Associate
Right well my sound magic hp 151 have arrived today and using them so far i think, that it has a nice rich hi fi sound along with good bass presence and sounds spacious and nice sound quality.

For the money they are the best i have heard in the price range of headphone costing £100 so to speak.

Dan.

Soldato
For someone who's always been basic with audio stuff, usually cheapy stuff (£30 max), the "Manufacturer Refurbished" AKG 702 with warranty has popped up for £69, By the looks of it they're very well regarded, is it worth the punt at that price?

Usage: Mainly gaming and music, and the odd Movie.

Caporegime
For someone who's always been basic with audio stuff, usually cheapy stuff (£30 max), the "Manufacturer Refurbished" AKG 702 with warranty has popped up for £69, By the looks of it they're very well regarded, is it worth the punt at that price?

they are only £25 more brand new.

you will also need a high quality dac/amp to get the best out of them. they aren't easy to drive.

using a weak amp you will get usable sound but you won't be getting the full experience and may even risk damaging them.

Soldato

I bought the very same item from the company you are looking at a few months ago to use for FPS gaming. They are great headphones. The box came a bit meh but the good itself were perfect.

The cheapest I could find new K702 was around £115 at the time so saving of bear £50. Looking at the price now, cheapest I can see is around £106.

As said though, you will need a decent amp for them.
You may also dislike them for music. The bass is lacking in them. Makes them great for hearing footsteps and positioning though. So good actually, I can tell where people are when they crouch walk.

Soldato
I bought the very same item from the company you are looking at a few months ago to use for FPS gaming. They are great headphones. The box came a bit meh but the good itself were perfect.

The cheapest I could find new K702 was around £115 at the time so saving of bear £50. Looking at the price now, cheapest I can see is around £106.

As said though, you will need a decent amp for them.
You may also dislike them for music. The bass is lacking in them. Makes them great for hearing footsteps and positioning though. So good actually, I can tell where people are when they crouch walk.

Hmm, the lacking of bass is a little disappointing to hear, I do like a more bassy set up, What amp/dac is recommended for these if I was to give them a shot?

Cheers.

Soldato
Hmm, the lacking of bass is a little disappointing to hear, I do like a more bassy set up, What amp/dac is recommended for these if I was to give them a shot?

Cheers.

I went for the creative G6 when it was on offer. If you would like a bit more base, you may want to consider the Fidelio X2HR.
I had heard the Tygr 300 are meant to be good although no detachable cable.

Associate
Took delivery of the AKG K361 and Antlion Modmic Uni over the weekend :)

Third AKG headphones, as I own the K702 and K712, and initial impressions are really strong.

I needed a replacement closed-back after realising the right-hand side screw on my Cooler Master MH751 started to become loose (CM replied in the RMA that it is a known issue thankfully). The Modmic has been a long time want and this was the excuse to buy.

VjQ7IwDl.jpg

Soldato
I think I’m about as good as I’m ever going to afford on my hifi now ( maybe a needle upgrade at some point ) .

rega rp6 TT
Tom Evans micro groove+ phono stage
Audiolab 6000cdt transport
Sennheiser hdvd800 headphone amp
Sennheiser hd800 headphones

Soldato
They aren't really headphones you carry about with you.

If I needed to take them anywhere I'd just use the official box they came in.

They aren't portable headphones and designed for home use only.

I take them offshore in a back pack for using for gaming in my cabin at night or listening to music.
I'm just looking to protect them during transport to and from offshore with the thought of the baggage handlers throwing bags about in the back of helicopters.

Back
Top Bottom