what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Resisted the urge to buy the Arya's and got some HD650 instead. I'm not very impressed with Sennheiser as a company recently but the 650s are great, a clear improvement on my HD555s and PC38x.

I haven't yet ordered an amp, but was suprised how well the USB C Apple dongle drives them on a PC. Based on what I read before I assumed i'd be having to nearly max the volume but at 40% they are loud enough (it's the US apple dongle with higher output than the EU version).

If the HD650 is anything like my HD660s, it will sound better with better amplification. My HD660S sounds pretty great when using my Focal Arche DAC/AMP that I bought for my Focal TOTLs.

I've ordered the custom headband strap for the HE400SE that I found and mentioned last time I posted in here.

Decided that it was probably easier to pay the £20 rather than faff on trying to make one myself when I have zero tools or the skills.

Will report back once it's arrived and have it fitted in case anyone else wants to do the same to theirs.
So looking like these have got lost by Royal Mail. There's been no update on the tracking since the 5th when they were posted out on a 48 hour delivery service.

Seller has said to wait till Wednesday and they'll either refund me or send another one. I'll choose the latter as can't find an alternative and I want to be able to wear them without them crushing the top of my skull.

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Not quite at the spending levels of some in here: I usually just use Apple AirPods Pro, but recently got some Moondrop CHU II wired in-ear headphones for £20... well I'm absolutely spoiled now; there's so much "more" sound available, especially in the low end! Having the wire is absolutely a faff, especially as they wire over the top of the ear so I ran the cable down the back of my t-shirt, and have to use a USB-C to 3.5mm jack dongle on my iPhone, meaning it's then even more faff to take my phone out of my pocket it to use it on the train etc.

I used the CHUs Monday and yesterday, and then switched back to the Pods today... :( so much sound is missing. The convenience of Bluetooth is definitely great, but my poor ears :(

• Wow
You guys who have one on order are in for a real treat, the R2R is so relaxing to listen to, the downside is that it really shows up badly mastered songs, lossless/streaming doesn't matter, crap mastering is still crap regardless of format, something the other amps seem to not fuss too much about unless you listen for it, with the R2R because the stereo imaging and soundstage is better placed/refined, the flaws in poorly mastered tracks stand out more often.

Could also be that the Arya Stealth is well-paired with the R2R as well.

My choice of settings: NOS mode, High gain, 40 volume = Perfection.

Most songs on Spotify these days are very good though, only older albums that never got remastered properly seem affected.

am astounded given this thing costs £150~

You are a horrible influence. Had been looking at the K7BT but since your review I have been keeping an eye out and I have now found one in stock in the UK and ordered.

Will consolidate down from my Modi2U+Magni1 and use Edition XS for cans.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So after an interesting journey thanks to RM, my headband strap arrived yesterday. I would like to provide pics and/or some sort of mini review but unless I messed up somewhere there was an issue with the supplied double sided tape you need to use.

Been in touch with them and they are sending me out a replacement set free of charge. Slow delivery wasn't their fault and can't fault their customer service replacing the tape.

Fingers crossed the replacement tape works.

If the HD650 is anything like my HD660s, it will sound better with better amplification. My HD660S sounds pretty great when using my Focal Arche DAC/AMP that I bought for my Focal TOTLs.
I've now bought a Shiit Magni amp. Initial impressions (not had it long) but it's got a really nice build and looks nice on a desk with a weighty metal frame. It also sounds really good and can drive the HD650 way past defeaning levels.

It's interesting vs some other dacs/amps I have used with the HD650s:

- It's significantly better than the headphone amps in my Denon/Onkyo amps and receivers (which all get loud enough but don't sound as good).
- Much better than a Focusrite audio interface headphone out which can't really drive the HD650s well but also sounds weak on easier to drive headphones.
- It's better than amplifying using a Mackie mixer (with Focusrite line outs as DAC) which although loud enough gets a bit muddy and has an audible noise floor at very loud volume.

However compared to the Apple dongle on a PC I don't hear a huge difference. I think the Magni is slightly better but i'm not convinced I could reliably A/B them in a blind test. For reference this is comparing to the US dongle on a PC (which has twice the output of the EU version).

I will see if my initial opinion changes with more listening but if I didn't also need an amp/dac for other devices (without a USB input) the Apple dongle alone would probably be sufficient for me with these headphones.

Interesting about your notes on the Apple Dongle. My Eu one was clearly underpowered but the audio dynamics such as soundstage/imaging and detail pickup are not anything to do with the output power (loudness) - And IMO the Apple dongle was inferior in those areas in every possible way than the XL1/M15i dongle DACs as I mentioned before. It's great for the price of course, but it's not of a class that demonstrates near the level of fidelity of the other dongles mentioned, at least not on planar magnetic headphones anyway by a long shot.

I'm assuming you got the Magni Unity not the old version Magni, so that has custom architecture inside assuming you also got the Unison USB DAC board too?

I did consider the Magni Unity as it's aligned with the K11 R2R on price but has way way fewer features and I absolutely hate the silver volume dial you are forced to have when opting for the black model - Makes zero logical sense. So in essence the K11 R2R seemed like the much better price to performance proposition given it's architecture and audio dynamics.

I'd still like to buy one to try, maybe I will, but need to be sure I can return it or at least sell it without too much loss afterwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom