what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Interesting about your notes on the Apple Dongle. My Eu one was clearly underpowered but the audio dynamics such as soundstage/imaging and detail pickup are not anything to do with the output power (loudness) - And IMO the Apple dongle was inferior in those areas in every possible way than the XL1/M15i dongle DACs as I mentioned before. It's great for the price of course, but it's not of a class that demonstrates near the level of fidelity of the other dongles mentioned, at least not on planar magnetic headphones anyway by a long shot.

I'm assuming you got the Magni Unity not the old version Magni, so that has custom architecture inside assuming you also got the Unison USB DAC board too?

I did consider the Magni Unity as it's aligned with the K11 R2R on price but has way way fewer features and I absolutely hate the silver volume dial you are forced to have when opting for the black model - Makes zero logical sense. So in essence the K11 R2R seemed like the much better price to performance proposition given it's architecture and audio dynamics.

I'd still like to buy one to try, maybe I will, but need to be sure I can return it or at least sell it without too much loss afterwards.
I've seen really polarising views online many people saying Apple dongle = good enough and others who really value different amps. How do you find the apple dongle with your Sennheisers out of interest?

Yes it's the Magni Unity version with the DAC built in. I actually almost ordered the K11 RTR earlier this week but decided to go with the Magni after comparing some of the reviews. For me the analogue input on the Magni means I should be able to use it for two different setups and I don't really need all the balanced *outputs etc with the Fiio so I went with the simpler/higher powered option. I think there's about £70 difference in cost so nothing huge considering it's a western brand with a 3 year warranty etc.

Last edited:
Added a few from Kona's playlist too :cool:
Forgot to say I've added Kona's to my Spotify as well. I'll have a listen to both while doing dishes and other household chores! :D

Edit: I might need to stay out of here due to potential future purchases!

Last edited:
Just adding this one too!

The wider the soundstage headphone you have the lusher this song sounds. I've been listening to this song since the HD650s and the Arya Stealth runs rings around the others, especially with the R2R now.

Edit(

The bass line in this whole song on planars is something else with the R2R, the Toppings/K7 could not deliver it like this:

Last edited:
Finally have the headbrand strap on my HE400SEs. The replacement sticky tape arrived in post today and they kindly sent me two lots as a good will gesture.

What a difference it makes. Something so simple yet effective. Should really have been factory standard but guess HiFiMan have to cut come costs somewhere.

Here's it fitted. I went for the 2mm which is stronger and durable. Made of cow hide I believe and has two sides, a leather and a suede. The 2mm also creates a bigger gap between the strap and the headband. Can be put on either way but I chose to have it leather side down so that the tabs on the strap matched the original headband more.

GkKUHWx.jpeg

TGQyGbH.jpeg

MbVVuAA.jpeg

Ordered it from a company called Custom Cans. They also offer a kit with the headband and modded grills but I'm happy enough with the standard grills. Their customer service has been really good.

Only negative, and its one I knew before purchasing, is the design of the headband strap covers the branding on the side of the headphones.

Time to enjoy the headphones now :)

What is the material and build quality like? Is it a milled out Aluminium enclosed and what material is the knob? good resistance when turning?
It's a quality product. Build is solid, the aluminium is a cap, base is plastic. Knob is nurled and metal with a nice click action. Resistance was light at first thought. But after using it a while it's just right thanks to the having the notched increments.

Sounds is indeed excellent as the reviews stated. Highs are rolled off gently so it matches well with brighter headphones and IEMs which I have. Switching from the Qudelix 5K to this, I didn't notice really notice a leap in quality as they're both excellent. Though I reckon if I switch back after a week that will show up subtle differences.

Things I like.. It's nice having a scrolling Knob for vol vs buttons. The unit looks smart and I like the red logo, could have gone a little dimmer though. The LCD screen is a quality unit with an OLED like experience... but again I wish it went dimmer ( I may cover it with some tint). Using it with my phone I'm half I can still EQ via the phone and it applies. Using wavelet EQ app and the bass adjustment works very well where you can sent the bass shelf and different types of impact such as natural or more resonance.

Overall it's a keeper and a much better experience than the topping dx3 pro+ I tried out in January. That felt sterile in sound and felt like a cheap unit.

@mrk the unit does get warm to hot, just not on top but the underside.

It's a quality product. Build is solid, the aluminium is a cap, base is plastic. Knob is nurled and metal with a nice click action. Resistance was light at first thought. But after using it a while it's just right thanks to the having the notched increments.

Sounds is indeed excellent as the reviews stated. Highs are rolled off gently so it matches well with brighter headphones and IEMs which I have. Switching from the Qudelix 5K to this, I didn't notice really notice a leap in quality as they're both excellent. Though I reckon if I switch back after a week that will show up subtle differences.

Things I like.. It's nice having a scrolling Knob for vol vs buttons. The unit looks smart and I like the red logo, could have gone a little dimmer though. The LCD screen is a quality unit with an OLED like experience... but again I wish it went dimmer ( I may cover it with some tint). Using it with my phone I'm half I can still EQ via the phone and it applies. Using wavelet EQ app and the bass adjustment works very well where you can sent the bass shelf and different types of impact such as natural or more resonance.

Overall it's a keeper and a much better experience than the topping dx3 pro+ I tried out in January. That felt sterile in sound and felt like a cheap unit.

@mrk the unit does get warm to hot, just not on top but the underside.

Hi mate. Mine has just arrived. I agree the build quality feels really nice. You can adjust the rgb and screen brightness in the menu

Yea, all of the Fiio gear I've ever had (E7/E11, K5 Pro, normal K11) had been really well made. Solid, Lot of metal used, heavy.

Also was going to post on the normal K11 you can adjust the colour of the logo, dim the brightness (8 lvls I think) and turn the logo backlight off.

I have no problem with the white display on lowest brightness, but you can just turn on the display timeout mode anyway and in whatever time is set it turns off which is fine too.

Back
Top Bottom