what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Well that is the thing with this Schiit gear, it sounds as good as other equipment that costs way more money so the only things I could really upgrade to would be the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil but they are too much for me!

Soldato
Thanks!

The Rag does look great, especially if you want to run IEMs, headphones and speakers from it.
I think the only downside to the Mjolnir is balanced headphones only, right now I am happy with that for the price/performance ratio that it offers.

Associate
Thanks!

The Rag does look great, especially if you want to run IEMs, headphones and speakers from it.
I think the only downside to the Mjolnir is balanced headphones only, right now I am happy with that for the price/performance ratio that it offers.

Yeah I'm mostly looking into the Raggy as part of a full speaker system upgrade next year (I'm at a fairly comfortable point with headphones).

The Mjolnir is a decent bit of kit, a little bit bright based on the couple times I auditioned it (good for Audeze) and holy balls is it powerful.

Soldato
Wow, very nice ^JP^
Hope you manage to find some time to kick back and listen to it.
Very jealous and kinda blows my upgrade out of the water!

Massively envious on all counts - that's an end game rig if ever I saw one - Congrats on a brilliant price too. :)

Cheers guys!
Been listing to the London Philharmonic and it is like having my own private concert hall.
Two big differences I am noticing is how dark this setup is, gaps in music are like I have turned the amp off and the soundstage, more like the music is being played at me now.

Yeah I'm mostly looking into the Raggy as part of a full speaker system upgrade next year (I'm at a fairly comfortable point with headphones).

The Mjolnir is a decent bit of kit, a little bit bright based on the couple times I auditioned it (good for Audeze) and holy balls is it powerful.

I am not finding the Mjolnir bright, just not as warm as the Lyr was but as you say the Audeze are warm so it is probably balancing them just right.
I think if I mod the Q701s to balanced and try them it wouldn't make a good combination but I would quite like to use them for gaming some times.
You are right about power, 12 o'clock is too much now, I like the dial there so had to turn the PC volume down a fair bit for comfort!

Associate
oJCRyUu.jpg

Not quite in the same league as ^JP^ ;) but the latest addition to my noise generating stuff.

Loving it so far, a bit of an improvement over onboard sound!
I think an amp upgrade will be next on the list though.....

Associate
Well it sounds good to me but I don't really have much of a reference point other than onboard.
I was looking at the modi but decided to play the long game and go in higher up the range, wish I'd done the same with my amp now but I suppose I can use it as an excuse to upgrade at some point ;)

Unfortunately money always seems to get in the way of buying shiny stuff!

Associate
Hi all, I've ordered the BHC with speedball can't wait to test it with my HD600!

I read the 600's sound better with the HD650's cable, can anyone confirm this?

Ta

Associate
Hi all, I've ordered the BHC with speedball can't wait to test it with my HD600!

I read the 600's sound better with the HD650's cable, can anyone confirm this?

Ta

I have both cables Angerer with the hd600s and I've tested them a bit :D
I prefer the hd600 cable with the hd600 headphones me.... there is a small difference :D dont make me try and explain it though :D
I think the hd650s cable sounds bit muddy or maybe its a mind thing .
just stay with the hd600 cable mate trust me, you wont be playing with cables when you've built that amp :D

And don't mod the amp right away ;) build it stock and get used to the sound wait a few weeks months if you can .(dont install the speedball 1st build.
Also use Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder and you could upgrade the rca connectors with the nice cardas ones. http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/cardas-ctfa-socket-pair-p-9629.html they fit no problem and good quality.

also dont change the volume pot till later after doing other mods I say :D ..change the ouput caps to film caps 1st mod.
(I use Mundorf Mcap MKP 100uf 250v there ok but haven't tried anthing else yet as Im happy with the sound but I'm thinking of trying some new ones as you do :D but very happy at the moment :)

I tried expensive volume pot but like the bottlehead one more ...dont underestimate the stock volume pot :D

And start searching for that tungsol 5998 tube (chatham also make a 5998 tube but make sure its genuine tungsol spec with the dimples on the plates in side and try a mullard with it ....I use a mullard cv491 but very rare expensive but most mullards sound very good with the hd600s :D

where about in London are you?

Have fun :D

Associate
I have both cables Angerer with the hd600s and I've tested them a bit :D
I prefer the hd600 cable with the hd600 headphones me.... there is a small difference :D dont make me try and explain it though :D
I think the hd650s cable sounds bit muddy or maybe its a mind thing .
just stay with the hd600 cable mate trust me, you wont be playing with cables when you've built that amp :D

And don't mod the amp right away ;) build it stock and get used to the sound wait a few weeks months if you can .(dont install the speedball 1st build.
Also use Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder and you could upgrade the rca connectors with the nice cardas ones. http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/cardas-ctfa-socket-pair-p-9629.html they fit no problem and good quality.

also dont change the volume pot till later after doing other mods I say :D ..change the ouput caps to film caps 1st mod.
(I use Mundorf Mcap MKP 100uf 250v there ok but haven't tried anthing else yet as Im happy with the sound but I'm thinking of trying some new ones as you do :D but very happy at the moment :)

I tried expensive volume pot but like the bottlehead one more ...dont underestimate the stock volume pot :D

And start searching for that tungsol 5998 tube (chatham also make a 5998 tube but make sure its genuine tungsol spec with the dimples on the plates in side and try a mullard with it ....I use a mullard cv491 but very rare expensive but most mullards sound very good with the hd600s :D

where about in London are you?

Have fun :D

Hi Swampy, sorry I never got back to you mate should have subbed to this thread :p

I bought mine pre built so came with speedball already in it.

I want good RCA cables and a good DAC as I'm getting interference from from PC using my Xonar D2X. Could you recommend me one?

Sounds amazing though and a very nice upgrade over my O2 Amp, I just can't live with the buzz and humm.

I'll take your advice and tube roll once up and running smooth :)

*Edit* I am in SE London mate not far from Greenwich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom