what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

zia

zia

Associate
Do you have a budget?
What music do you like to listen to?
And do the have to be open back as well or closed back ok?

tend to listen to a wide variety of music,prefer closed back due listening to stuff late at night,and not disturbing the other half.
budget £250 ish...

Zia

Last edited:
Associate
tend to listen to a wide variety of music,prefer closed back due listening to stuff late at night,and not disturbing the other half.
budget £250 ish...

Feel like one obvious one to check out is the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X c.£200. Whether it's worth the upgrade is the question. Might be worth looking at a few Youtube videos. I've heard and generally like the DT 770 Pro's, but unfortunately not heard the newer 700 Pro X.

-------

In terms of my own collection I've recently sold my AKG K361, K712 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm) and DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) as whilst they are all really nice headphones I just wasn't using enough or weren't ideal for gaming - which is my main use.

As per the other thread over the last few months I've bought (apart from the TYGRs which were bought last year):
  • Drop + EPOS PC38X
  • EPOS H6Pro (closed)
  • Sennheiser HD 560S
  • Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R
All being driven via my Fiio K5 Pro or Creative SBX G6. Or straight into a console controller.

I love the tuning on the PC38X for gaming although all of these along with the 560S and TYGRs are probably the best allrounders I've had for gaming.

I still have a gap in my collection and am kind of intrigued by the Sennheiser HD 6xx series. Or indeed may even the more expensive Beyer offerings such as the DT 900 Pro X or DT 1990. But we shall have to see. And although I hate proprietary headsets I am interested to see what Sony's new Elite Pulse headset using Planar drivers is like (hot off that Sony buying Audeze news). Could be very good for the planned price.

zia

zia

Associate
In terms of my own collection I've recently sold my AKG K361, K712 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm) and DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm) as whilst they are all really nice headphones I just wasn't using enough or weren't ideal for gaming - which is my main use
thank you for the info, When you say not good for gaming in what way?

Zia

Associate
thank you for the info, When you say not good for gaming in what way?

Zia

Sorry that's poorly worded really, I was probably tired when I wrote that.

To expand on what I meant. The DT770/990 and AKG K712 are all very good for gaming. The K712's and DT 990s are particularly great for competitive shooters.

That said I'm a multiformat gamer and play across all consoles and PC. So having something be easy to drive and can be used with a Dualsense or Xbox controller is very useful. The PC38X and H6Pro sound great no matter what they are plugged into. Both the DT 770/990s require an AMP, have that heavy, non-removable coiled cable (on the 250Ohm versions) that is an minor annoyance. The K712 Pro is very comfortable but I do find that elastic band system can become loose over time and they are big on my ears (I did a post on replacing this elastic on my K702s). With comfort I find I game much longer than if I watch a movie or listen to music so I always reach for a more comfortable headphone first. Again the K712 Pro requires an AMP and again that's a pain with the consoles.

The last pair; AKG K361's aren't really anywhere near as good for gaming as they lack soundstage and imaging although they were another strong set of headphones. Albeit with this trait of making certain things sounds great whilst other stuff sound flat and hollow. Although the fabric earpads did tear open just as I was listing them to sell!

Also whilst I have a modmic I'm more likely to use an integrated mic just for the convenience.

So no the DT770s, 990s and K712 Pro's are all fantastic for gaming (and music/media listening), just that I can't justify having 8 headphones where in reality I'm not going to use some enough, even 4 is overkill.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Back to closed back headphones again, Audeze LCD2.

Think i've finished my audio set-up now.

siYBk6y.jpg

Soldato
Well it appears my WH1000-XM3s have given up, only getting audio out of the right hand side :(

Just when I've got some travel coming up too.....might open them up later and see if there's anything obvious, but otherwise may be replacement time.

Man of Honour
Been listening to the HD650s on the Topping MX3s the last few days and I can now confirm that the bass depth is greater on this headphone out than on the NAD, the NAD was excellent already, but the bass somehow on this is just a bit deeper/present - The 650s are not known for being bassy headphones, but here we are, nice rich bass as is by default, but now with deeper extension.

I'm listening to Wonda right now and it's really clear on this track for example.

I suspect it's because this amp has bass/treble controls. I have dialled in +4 on bass and +2 on treble to get to the same kind of warmth of the NAD amps I am used to and this feels a perfect balance.

What a great little amp lol.

aob6jXL.jpg

Man of Honour
The 650s are not known for being bassy headphones, but here we are, nice rich bass as is by default, but now with deeper extension.

Even without bass enhancements with a balanced setup and the right amp you can get nice defined bass out of them - low rolling instruments can come up a treat, won't have the thump of bassy headphones but for some kinds of music a better experience. I've said it before and I'll say it again most amps have just slightly too low voltage output and slightly too slow slew rate to quite fully get the most out of the HD600 series (the difference when listening to them on say a HDVD800 or homebuilt dual AD8066 setup compared to your average consumer amp is huge) - though you have to be careful you don't blow them with too much voltage as well. Most amps are optimised for headphones which are current hungry.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah previously I bought the Dekoni memory foam pads for the HD650, amazing comfort and because it's memory foam, the sound enhanced the bass response without having to change any tone controls on the amp (not the the NAD had any other than a digital bass boost which I did not like). The downside to the memory foam pads was that it closed in the soundstage slightly so the 650s did not feel like the truly open air cans they are using the standard foam pads that breathe better.

With the MX3S though the enhanced bass range is out of the box, and then further tweaked with the tone controls it has so best of both worlds now without affecting the soundstage of the 650s.

Soldato
I'm looking at amps for my senn 650. Currently using an essence stx soundcard and can't decide between chord mojo 2, ifi 6xx sig DAC and amp or a bottle head crack. Listen to a wide array of music. Anyone's thoughts appreciated

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using the Dan Clark audio aeons for a few years now.

Just this week replaced all the caps in my audiolab dac/amp as I noticed one ear was slightly louder than the other and upon opening the thing up a few of them had leaked with quite a few bulging. Still it is ten years old so thats not bad going.

Associate
I've finally got round to replacing the cracking/damaged drivers with Nhoord Reds in my Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS1. Still Grado sounding but less fatiguing. I might do a cable mod on them at some point too.

Others in my list:
Grado GS1000
Philips Fidelio X1
Bose QC35

Soldato
Last upgrade for a while now, LCD-XC 2021 - my wallet hates me, but my ears love me.

Incredible detail, seperation and soundstage - A little bright at first, but a gentle PEQ tweak with the RME and bang - Totally blown away by them.

Good choice these were right up there when I was purchasing headphones too, but at the time I was looking for some open backs and the normal LCD-X and these closed backs were in my top 5, I ended up with the Focal Clear MG Pro's as I already had a closed back I was happy with and a future closed back will likely be these. Let us know how you get on once they break in, I don't remember them being overly bright at the time but again they were a store demo unit that was broken in so they may settle down once broken in too.

Soldato
Beware having headphones too loud.

Completely ruined my quality of life since the early 1990`s.

The stupidly loud and high pitched tinnitus they cased drives me crazy every second i am awake.
Way back in the mists of time when I was in my 20's, I got home, rather drunk on a friday night and decided I wanted to listen to some music before going to bed. For some insane reason I turned the volume up all the way and promptly fell asleep with the headphones on. Next day and for about six months, I had screaming tinnitus in both ears, which gradually calmed down over the years but it's still there in the background, forty odd years later. I never listen to music loud any more and I thank the audio gods that at least my tinnitus is only mild now - I really don't want it to flare up again.

Soldato
Had some Sennheiser HD555s since about 2008 I use for gaming. They seem to last forever and comfortable enough to use all day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom