• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What if the 3000 series is over hyped?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No worries you will still buy it for hdmi 2.1 ;)
If they do not sell out that is. If they do I may even end up with a 3070 as I originally said I would. I am not paying more than £649.

I think it definitely was.
I agree. Was not as good as it was hyped, but good enough for me to upgrade if I find any in stock.

Lets hope AMD deliver on the hype they are generating :p

Soldato
I think it definitely was.
What are you disappointed with?
Depends on games people are playing and resolution is my take on it after a quick flick through a few reviews (so not a conclusion). 4K & modern games especially with RT and looks decent. Example Wolfenstein YB 30% uplift in performance vs the £1100+ previous Ti for the price of a 2080 Super. In fact, faster than a Titan RTX too here.
Of course there was a bit more hype so the figures quoted are the best you'll see in particular titles but that's tech :).

I'm just a bit disappointed only 3080 reviews today given the first of the new GPU's is about to be released.

Caporegime
Depends on games people are playing and resolution is my take on it after a quick flick through a few reviews (so not a conclusion). 4K & modern games especially with RT and looks decent. Example Wolfenstein YB 30% uplift in performance vs the £1100+ previous Ti for the price of a 2080 Super. In fact, faster than a Titan RTX too here.
Of course there was a bit more hype so the figures quoted are the best you'll see in particular titles but that's tech :).

I'm not at all disappointed, its exactly what i expected it to be, +30%, but if you look around a lot of people are deflated, i think Jens used a lot of very clever marketing to make people think its going to be a lot better than it actually is, what it actually is is not bad at all. But using the 2080 as a comparison and probably the absolute best case scenario and banging on about its almost 2X the 2080... which it probably is in very exceptional circumstance, like Doom Eternal at 4K were the 2080 chocks on its lack of VRam in that situation for instance.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I'm just a bit disappointed only 3080 reviews today given the first of the new GPU's is about to be released.
I was expecting slightly better rasterisation performance, but the main one is I was expecting MUCH better RT performance. Hence I agree it was over hyped in Jensen's presentation. That said hyping works for Nvidia and can even boost sales, for AMD the opposite happens :p

Soldato
It's about as fast as I expected 30% over a 2080 Ti but for a lot less money. I am impressed with the performance of the new reference cooler, keeping a 320 watt card under control without running the fans super hard is no mean feat. AMD, take note!

Soldato
I was expecting slightly better rasterisation performance, but the main one is I was expecting MUCH better RT performance. Hence I agree it was over hyped in Jensen's presentation. That said hyping works for Nvidia and can even boost sales, for AMD the opposite happens :p

Will have a closer read shortly. Not sure about RT. Is that because current games only implement it lightly? So, gets diluted with rasterization performance and NV expecting move towards RT more ? Just thinking here, I don't know enough about how it's applied. At 4K Quake 2 is 94% faster than the previous 2080 (non-super) and here it's all about how well RT can be done.

Hype works better for some companies than others :).

Non-gaming uses sees a massive performance improvement it seems

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Will have a closer read shortly. Not sure about RT. Is that because current games only implement it lightly? So, gets diluted with rasterization performance and NV expecting move towards RT more ? Just thinking here, I don't know enough about how it's applied. At 4K Quake 2 is 94% faster than the previous 2080 (non-super) and here it's all about how well RT can be done.
I was expecting them to not only improve the efficiency of each RT core, but to double the number of them. Hence my disappointment and it shows in the results so far. That said it is definitely an improvement over Turding and the gap will only widen in future games.

Hype works better for some companies than others :)
Indeed :D

Soldato
It's about as fast as I expected 30% over a 2080 Ti but for a lot less money. I am impressed with the performance of the new reference cooler, keeping a 320 watt card under control without running the fans super hard is no mean feat. AMD, take note!

Thats because of the sheer size of the cooler and its costing as much as $150 per unit apparently, Nvidia will sell relatively low numbers its up to the AIB's to make up the shortfall (and the cost of the cooler).

Associate
I am not disappointed as I wasn't getting one , 3090, 3080ti or big navi, now if they are as bad as 3080 I will be disappointed after all the hype

Associate
I'm just going to chill with my 2080Ti for another two to three months at least, see what happens with the 3080Ti / 3090 and AMD.

No rush, Cyberpunk won't be here until mid November, and AC Valhalla in December.

Permabanned
as most people play on 1080 .. why is it that 98% of reviews are 1440 and above ?
has nvidia said don't do 1080 ? because as we know at 1080 a 3080 sucks balls ..and at 1440 it's not much better in a lot of titles ..
the other thing is the power and heat issue .. amd got bashed for fun for less power ..
to me this whole launch smells funny .. and i pity those that buy a 3080 ..

Soldato

The issue isn't the cooling of the card it's that in keeping the temperature down, that all the extra power is generating, it pumps a lot more heat into your room. Most people don't have AC so it's going to get a bit toasty after a few hours of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom