• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Just makes you think how great the pricing for the 980Ti and 1080Ti were in the UK. Then Nvidia screwed it with the 2000 series.

Soldato
Just makes you think how great the pricing for the 980Ti and 1080Ti were in the UK. Then Nvidia screwed it with the 2000 series.

The prices would come straight back down if people refused to pay it. This thread proves people are prepared to pay over £1000 so I don't blame Nvidia for taking advantage of their willingness to overpay for a hobby they enjoy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a bit taken back by the results of this poll, I can't believe how many people are willing to pay that kind of money for a GPU, looks like prices will only go one way if people are happy with the crazy increases

I might just get a 5700XT if the new GPUs are crazy money play the rest of my outstanding games and get a PS5, I'm not falling for it

Soldato
I'm a bit taken back by the results of this poll, I can't believe how many people are willing to pay that kind of money for a GPU, looks like prices will only go one way if people are happy with the crazy increases

I might just get a 5700XT if the new GPUs are crazy money play the rest of my outstanding games and get a PS5, I'm not falling for it

This is an enthusiasts forum though. Results would be totally different with a more varied user base. I like many people here consider PC/gaming to be one of my main hobbys and have disposable income to throw at it. I just want performance, I don't really care about the cost.

Soldato
This is an enthusiasts forum though. I like many people here consider my PC/gaming to be one of my main hobbys and have disposable income to throw at it. I just want performance, I don't really care about the cost.

If that's how you justify it then more power to you, price increases to this level are a new thing, it's not always been this way so why suddenly in the last few years has it increased so much?

It's because people are willing to pay it, not mining, not costs of manufacturing, not supply and demand, people will pay it and that's the only reason

I don't agree with enthusiast equals top end GPU either, I've never paid more than £300 for a GPU and still consider myself an enthusiast

Soldato
If that's how you justify it then more power to you, price increases to this level are a new thing, it's not always been this way so why suddenly in the last few years has it increased so much?

It's because people are willing to pay it, not mining, not costs of manufacturing, not supply and demand, people will pay it and that's the only reason

I don't agree with enthusiast equals top end GPU either, I've never paid more than £300 for a GPU and still consider myself an enthusiast

I wasn't saying all enthusiasts will pay whatever, enthusiasts can be at every price point. I just meant that you'll find more people here who don't care about the cost of a GPU then you would if you interviewed PC gamers in the high street.

I totally agree that a cheaper market would be better for everyone, but I'm not willing to step out and sacrifice performance in an attempt to make a point to Nvidia. I would be supportive of a movement that was trying to make Nvidia take notice, but I just wouldn't support it with my wallet. I realise that is somewhat hypocritical!

Soldato
Soldato
I'm not happy about the prices, but it is what it is and if you want the performance this is the cost. It will take more than this forum not buying high ends GPU's for prices to change.
This. Nvidia sell millions of cards and a few boycotting their pricing won't really affect the big scheme. I'm not happy at how crazy the prices are, but my 980ti is old hat now and I need and want a new card. Either I refuse to pay and live with a struggling system, which will only get worse with time, or cough up and get a 3080ti that will have to last almost a decade.

I'm not saying I'm blinding shelling out almost a month's pay the second they're announced. I'll wait for reviews and try to get the best bang for buck, but I'm certainly preparing myself for this to be by far the most expensive single component I have ever purchased.

Soldato

It's not just that people will pay it, but more that they have to (not literally of course). If people want a good card to play games at high settings and a 2070Super or 2080ti are the cars to enable that, then depending on how much they want it they don't really have a choice. If that's the only card to meet their needs and it costs £1200 then that's what they'll pay. The only other choice is to refuse but that only works if everyone does it, but when so humans ever work together en masse?

Soldato
Third choice; buy used so you're not contributing to the price gouging AND you get an upgrade ;)
Yeah I thought about going for a used 2080ti, which is another reason why I won't rush in on release day. I'm hoping the MM will be flooded with these cards shortly but given recently sales they'll be going for £800 plus with little warranty left. It's always a gamble. At that price I can justify another 50%,as crazy as it sounds, for a new next gen card with warranty.

Soldato
I'm hoping the MM will be flooded with these cards shortly but given recently sales they'll be going for £800 plus with little warranty left.

Well you'll be able to get one new for £799, so why buy it off the MM with no warranty anyhow? You can buy one now for £929, and they are still current generation.

Associate
Im pretty sure the original warranty period is, don’t think the extended warranty is though. However you can always fill in an RMA for the buyer if it breaks within that extended warranty period and have it returned.
That's my understanding, the original warranty is, not the extended.

Associate
Yeah I thought about going for a used 2080ti, which is another reason why I won't rush in on release day. I'm hoping the MM will be flooded with these cards shortly but given recently sales they'll be going for £800 plus with little warranty left. It's always a gamble. At that price I can justify another 50%,as crazy as it sounds, for a new next gen card with warranty.
Wouldn't a 3080 with warranty be a better bet for £800 (rumoured price)?

Back
Top Bottom