What is your work PC like?

Associate
Oracle Sun Gay. :(

2crofwk.jpg

Caporegime
Poverty spec HP thing with an E2160 with 4GM of RAM

crashed a few times trying to render HTML, adding about 5 programs to starup just causes it to crash.

Getting 'something dell' this week, joy to the world. if it's a Celron/i3 I'llcry

Associate
HP DC7900 C2D, 2Gb Ram, 250Gb HDD and also a Dell Latitude D620 Centrino Duo with 2Gb ram and 250gb HDD, both on W7 Pro, We are still running XP and server 2003 here at the NHS as it works with all the 100's of other clinical systems our users need.

Permabanned
The place I used to work was miles behind everyone (I left there last year and they were still on Pentium 4's with 2GB Ram and 80GB Hard Drives). Some of the machines actually still had CDRW's in and not DVD rom or DVD Writers.

Where I am now, I've got a Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz with 8GB Ram, 640GB Hdd, Windows 7, etc.

My home office is a custom built Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 16GB DDR3, 2x64GB SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 beast :)

Associate
i use some dell thing that is about 5-6 years old i think would be good if it worked properly lol but i guess since i am the new boy in the office i get the pants pc :)

i think its a 1.8Ghz with maybe a GB at the most of ram

Wobbs

Soldato
The place I used to work was miles behind everyone (I left there last year and they were still on Pentium 4's with 2GB Ram and 80GB Hard Drives). Some of the machines actually still had CDRW's in and not DVD rom or DVD Writers.

Where I am now, I've got a Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz with 8GB Ram, 640GB Hdd, Windows 7, etc.

My home office is a custom built Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 16GB DDR3, 2x64GB SSD, 1TB Samsung F3 beast :)

Depends what the PC is being used for. P4 with 2GB of RAM will run most office applications just fine. 95% of our users have no need for an optical drive, so why waste money over-specifying it?

Associate
Oracle Sun Gay.

I use one too. good lord they suck

Having major issues with them atm, the Oracle recommended SAN is really underperforming with Windows 7.

I started using Sun Rays a decade ago (Sun Ray 100s) and they work fine as long as they are set up properly. (Although Oracle does seem to have lost the plot with them).

We use them for public area kiosks and UNIX terminals (currently looking into VDI). What are you using them for?

Associate
I started using Sun Rays a decade ago (Sun Ray 100s) and they work fine as long as they are set up properly. (Although Oracle does seem to have lost the plot with them).

We use them for public area kiosks and UNIX terminals (currently looking into VDI). What are you using them for?

Currently rolling out ~200 Windows 7 desktops, unfortunately the project was rushed a lot and the guys deploying it haven't had time to test properly.

Also it doesn't help that Windows 7 hasn't been tested in the UK on a reasonable scale before.

Associate
Currently:

IBM (Lenovo) SL300
Core2Duo on a Centrino chipset
4gb of RAM (maximum which sucks with VMs)
Stonewood Flagstone 120gb SATA HD (AES-256 hardware encryption, slow as hell)
God awful 1280x900 resolution :(

In testing (to replace the Lenovo):
HP Probook 17"
Intel i5
16gb RAM
Stonewood Eclypt 120gb SATA HD (newer variant of the Flagstone that is true SATA speed not PATA)
1x 500gb SATA-II scratch drive
1080p resolution

Shame I'm leaving my current employer in about 8 weeks time to a company who are a massive Dell house :( At least I can spec my own laptop and they'll buy it or just take one of the MBPs and max everything out :D And since I'm not a fan of OSX, it'll get wiped immediately for Ubuntu or Arch

Back
Top Bottom