What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Nah, gotta go Arch so they can tell everyone about it numerous times a day.
Yes Arch is the hip distro.

Used Manjaro as didnt want to take the time to set it all up then distro hop.as soon as one Pacman -Syyu breaks something and I dont know how to fix and I end regretting ever bothering with rolling releases.

Will check out OpenSUSE TW, thanks for the rec. Cromulent

I highly recommend OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (NOT OpenSUSE Leap). It is the best rolling release distro I have used.
Agree. Another recommendation for it from me.

I also like Fedora but after IBM's shenanigans with RHEL I want to stay away from that whole Red Hat tree for a while and see what happens.

Last edited:
I highly recommend OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (NOT OpenSUSE Leap). It is the best rolling release distro I have used.
I really like OpenSUSE. I've used the SUSE family for nigh on 20 years in one capacity or another. Tumbleweed is highly polished, rarely has issues, and generally 'just works' (codec install, exotic hardware, trackpads, etc). If you do decide to try it, @Tinfoil-G305, install opi (sudo zypper in opi) and then use it to install your multimedia codecs with sudo opi codecs. Easy.

As an aside, the whole 'Manjaro breaking' thing happens quite a bit. It's not you, it's them. Their 'security' team make screw up after screw up. They often have expired certs and keys (taking down the repos and/or website with it), and they hold back packages from Arch for 'testing', then release them in blocks. That's what causes the breakages. If you don't want to try OpenSUSE, just go Arch. It has an easy installer these days, but if you want it ready OOTB forget Manjaro and install EndeavourOS instead. It's what Manjaro should have been. I can also highly recommend Sparky Linux and AntiX (both Debian testing/rolling based, the latter being systemd free).

I love KDE 4 but I despise everythign about this PLASMA cartoon-visuals rubbish. Windows has done that too... I like fancy "GLASSY" icons not boring ones, and so KDE is no longer a distro that I will go for,
It's only a theme. Plasma is one of the most customisable DEs you can get. Just change it! :p

Last edited:
I love KDE 4 but I despise everythign about this PLASMA cartoon-visuals rubbish. Windows has done that too... I like fancy "GLASSY" icons not boring ones, and so KDE is no longer a distro that I will go for,

KDE is a DE not a distro. And it's super easy to change the look of KDE. I have tried pretty much every DE going and I always go back to KDE.

As for which distro people are using: I'm on Ultramarine Linux now. Fedora based. I really like it.

I like the ones with a Freebsd ports style packaging system, with binary pkgs, and with the possibility to use on a variety of different hardware. That are well maintained and strike a sensible balance for updating pkgs. Between getting new updates and also not "too new" to be buggy / unstable etc.

Unfortunately 0 distros fulfill all of these requirements (withing a single distro). However some distros will fulfill some or a majority of requirements.

Generally speaking however (and not thinking exclusively about my own direct needs). Then ones like fedora, silverblue, arch, gentoo, void, ubuntu, debian, vaniallaOS plus a few others all seem to have "enough" good points going for them to be considered as being worth considering. At least at some superficial level(s). Before narrowing down further.

What do people think of Wayland?
and no not this one... ;) :cry:
iu

Last edited:
I generally stick to Ubuntu because it's so familiar, but I recently tried PopOS as it's supposed to be good for development, and it's actually a really nice Dev OS with his stock search keybinds and window tiling

I generally stick to Ubuntu because it's so familiar, but I recently tried PopOS as it's supposed to be good for development, and it's actually a really nice Dev OS with his stock search keybinds and window tiling
PopOS is one of my favourites, alongside Fedora. Being a hardware vendor also incentivises them to invest in the OS.

My only gripe with PopOS was dual booting it... it was chaos due to lack of secure boot support :rolleyes:
Yea, although I figure they will embrace it soon. They haven’t bothered with Wayland either so I suspect there will be some big updates once their UI work is ready.

Fedora has pretty decent secure boot support.

Try Debian... its similar but YOU decide what you want installed so its slimmer ;) Most people like slimmer women but SOME do like fat ladies!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom