What "man jobs" have you done today?

40/90 slabs of the patio down. Regretting not hiring a cement mixer...

szKUWa9.png

Nice so far. I want some of that in my garden but it's a nightmare here trying to find cut stone at a reasonable price (or much at all). It's all crazy paving stylee stuff here.:(

Yesterday we filled the new paved drive and path with polymeric sand, finished resurfacing the garage (soon to be workshop) roof after extensive rebuilding and filled the back of the truck with rotten ply (from said roof).

Today we dumped the ply, picked up a truckload of mulch (from the dump), put up the soffits, fascia and some of the guttering, spread some mulch and cut the hedge which desperately needed trimming.

Tomorrow hopefully we will get the guttering done, move a garden gate and cut a window hole into the garage. Then a BBQ and sit round the fire pit with some drinks.

I would love to take pics of my kitchen, but its a dingy hell hole compared to most... Even though I put all new units in only last year, the thing is the smallest kitchen ever and it just l;ooks bloody awful now.

Similar with the living room... Since my accident, I have my entire life all in the one room, including commode and bed and so thats a load of junk now too!

Its a bit embarrassing to be honest.

However, I have built a few units with the little ability I do have...My computer desk is a whole unit made out of MDF with a shelf for the keyboard and the monitor, plus 3 more higher up to house the firewire soundcards, modem, switch, a bundle of DVD software an 2 NAS Drives... Thats now a mess of loads of bits of junk.

I have more recently built a unit to house my server in. A complete waste of time because the heat is already bad enough and now I have enclosedit into a unit? No wonder it shuts down in minutes due to overheating.
That is my next PC project... Watercooling a Dual G34 Opterons and the motherboards chipsets.
I wont waste anyones time with pics, but if asked I will do.

Replaced all the worktops in the kitchen over the weekend as part of a 're-hash' ie painting the units instead of a complete replacement to keep costs down.

3 * 3m tops, 1 requiring a sink cut out for the new sink. Only 1 inside corner so I straight mitred it with the circular saw instead of going to the palarver of renting a big router and jig, turned out OK.

Re-plumbed the sink and moved the washing machine waste pipe as it was right behind the machine and we couldn't push it back to the wall, now we can.

Next - re-tile the walls and floor.

The old summerhouse base

412616228.jpg

New base - old one enlarged - used up all old off cuts of slabs and some lifted ones

412616230.jpg

Now battened ready for new summerhouse.
The left to right battens are just to hold front to back in place till SH gets here.
Hopefully my measurements will be right.

412616229.jpg

Ah left my pencil out.

I found out recently that my landline phone wasn't receiving incoming calls. After some basic fault checking with TalkTalk they told me that it was probably my master socket and they could send an engineer out. As I usually do, I went off and did some research. It turns out to be a very simple job and so I've fitted an NTE5 filtered master socket (same as BT would fit) for about £15 all in (inc. new back box and other sundries).

The phone now works perfectly and I'm rather chuffed with myself. Time for my usual celebratory, post-"man job" beer.

Hi,

Got any more details or links? I've got an RFXcom and use Domoticz mainly for LightwaveRF and would love some automated blinds. Was much programming involved?

Thanks.

Hi,

You'll need the rfxtrx433e version for SOMFY control, look here

I simply captured the SOMFY signal using RFXCOM Manager and then set up events within HomeSeer3 using those details. I'd assume you'd do something similar with Domoticz. You could even use your LightwaveRF switches to control the blinds manually.

Going to do some more rooms as we do spend the odd night away from home and along with the lights coming on and off it makes the house look lived in when away.

:-)

Last edited:
We purchased a bungalow that needed bringing back to life, its finally starting to look like a home , today i managed to start testing the home network,i have put cat 6 in all rooms that need it

t3wKv3D.jpg

I was lucky enough to have been able to get cat6 installed in my new build, I definitely went over the top with sockets (10 different points in a 3 bed) but it just makes life so much easier when you are trying to connect to the network
2nd hand gigabit procurve switch off ebay and I pretty much have gigabit network anywhere I want in the house.
And because this was done at the build stage it cost very little extra.

Hi,

You'll need the rfxtrx433e version for SOMFY control, look here

I simply captured the SOMFY signal using RFXCOM Manager and then set up events within HomeSeer3 using those details. I'd assume you'd do something similar with Domoticz. You could even use your LightwaveRF switches to control the blinds manually.

Going to do some more rooms as we do spend the odd night away from home and along with the lights coming on and off it makes the house look lived in when away.

:-)

Hi,

Thanks. Ive got the -e version thankfully. How did you capture the Somfy commands, do the Somfy motors all come with a remote you can capture the signal from? (which is something you can do in Domoticz yes) Any links on where you got the Somfy/blind bits from?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks. Ive got the -e version thankfully. How did you capture the Somfy commands, do the Somfy motors all come with a remote you can capture the signal from? (which is something you can do in Domoticz yes) Any links on where you got the Somfy/blind bits from?

Thanks.

Hi,

We bought our roller blinds from here www.poweredblinds.co.uk

Also bought the 'Somfy Smoove Origin RTS wall switch' (the link above takes you to the accessories page, just scroll down)

Powered Blinds will sync the Somfy motor and switch onsite for you. All you will have to do then when it all arrives is push the 'Programme' button on the back of the switch whilst having RFXCOM Manager running. Then you'll capture the signal.

There's a specific RFXCOM plugin for HomeSeer which then allows you to save what the RFXCOM Manager picks up. From there you can do what you want with it.

I'm not sure with Domoticz, but does this link help?

Cheers

Finished the pond:-

IMAG0383_zpsarezry5y.jpg

IMAG0387_zpsl6nvo6wx.jpg

IMAG0390_zpsyo9txeb5.jpg

IMAG0388_zpse4llzeum.jpg

IMAG0389_zpssqpqewpt.jpg

I'll start planting some marginal plants around the fountain next weekend.

Pretty pleased with my first attempt at a pond!

Back
Top Bottom